Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 55

GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 03:31
I am warming up with my GMAT preparation and gave the GMATPrep 1 as my diagnostic test. Turns out I scored 700 (48Q, 38V). 15 incorrect on the quant and 13 incorrect on the verbal part. I was more shocked than surprised, as I expected a score somewhere in the upper 500's considering this was a diagnostic test. I understand that this software is the most accurate indicator of test day performance, but I don't know what to make out of this score. How accurate is this thing?

FYI, I am not new to GMAT. I had given the test 2 years ago after prep-ing for roughly 1.5 months and scored a 650 (44Q, 35V) on the main test. I had never crossed 660 on my practice tests at that time. I had used up both the GMATPrep then but when giving the GMATPrep this time, I distinctly remember that while I could faintly remember the questions (like a couple of diagrams and formatting of one of the questions), I could not remember the actual questions or the answers or the methodology to get to the answers.

I don't know what to make out of this test. Please help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 05:52
Expert's post
Hey Amoy,

Good to ask the question. Without being there by your side, it's a little tougher to comment specifically question by question on your experience. But, do remember of course that the GMAT is an 'adaptive' test. So.. you may have gotten a fair number of questions wrong, but if they are all super-hard (i.e. 700+ level questions), that obviously affects your score trajectory differently than if you were getting a bunch of 500-level questions wrong. We've always stressed (and reminded) that because it's adaptive, the test 'should' feel hard for everyone, regardless of your score level.

Let me know if this is helpful.

Thanks.

-Brian Lange
ManhattanGMAT Instructor

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 07:52
Strike rate is meaningless. You can miss 50% of the questions and score a 500, you can also miss 50% of the questions and score a 700. It's all about the difficulty of the problem, sequential incorrect, not finishing, etc.

Use the test as a basis to begin prep again. Work from your weakest sections up. Schedule practice tests in to gauge improvement and adjust your study plan as needed (if you discover new weak areas).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 55

Re: GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 23:56
Ahhh well. Thanks for the quick replies @brianlange77 and @mohater. No point overanalysing the scores...its better if I use my energies to make the 1st of my fortnightly study plan and try to stick to it. Thanks for the tip @mohater. I will analyse my mistakes on the test and try to identify weak areas. DS section especially gives me the jitters and more than 50% of my incorrect answers in verbal are attributed to SC.
Re: GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 23:56