Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2005, 03:04
Hi,

First of all, i am really impressed with the content on this forum and the detailed replies that some folks have posted.

My queries have been already answered in part on some of the earlier posts, however here are a few questions i still have:

I have about 2.5 months to prepare for the test. What would be the best strategy/schedule to follow during this time?

Would it be helpful to take a trial test (paper based or CAT) before i actually start preparing to assess where I am at now?

I have purchased the Kaplan 2005 and Princeton Review 2005 books. Are these enough for preparing for the exam?

On this forum and others, I have come across several references to the OG. Is this a must? How does the Power Prep sw compare to this?

Any help on the above queries would be of immense value to me.

Cheers,
Nitin.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2005, 23:20
I have about 2.5 months to prepare for the test. What would be the best strategy/schedule to follow during this time?
- Work on some CAT tests
- If you're already comfortable with your level of preparedness, it would do you no harm to go through and practice some real AWAs
- Spend sometime refining your tecniques, be it tackling quant or verbal questions

Would it be helpful to take a trial test (paper based or CAT) before i actually start preparing to assess where I am at now?

- Yes, it would definitely be helpful. You can download Powerprep and work through the entire CAT test. It's a good way to see what you are good at (you could break the quant/verbal components down, and with some good profiling, you might see yourself having to polish only a few areas. For instnace, you might have done badly only on questions involving geometry, or subject-verb agreement etc)

I have purchased the Kaplan 2005 and Princeton Review 2005 books. Are these enough for preparing for the exam?

- This is really subjective. Some get by just with one princeton or kaplan book. Some use neither of these, and only the OG. There're some more who use neither of these three books, and instead use books from other publishers (Arco, Barron etc). My opinion is Kaplan and Princeton are two very good books, but rather than worry if they're sufficient, you should focus instead on learning and understanding the questions you make mistakes, then logging these down somewhere. Just in case you were interested, I use the OG and a Kaplan book.

On this forum and others, I have come across several references to the OG. Is this a must? How does the Power Prep sw compare to this?
- The powerprep gets the questions from the OG. So if you've not done the OG, the score you get on powerprep could be rather representative of your current ability.

Also for your information, the OG is currently on the 10th edition. There are plans to release a 11th edition, which will contain less questions but more detailed explanation for the solutions. There will also be a verbal OG to be released which will contain more questions on the verbal section compared to the 11th Edition OG, but I figure these questions will all come from the 10th Edition verbal section. Still, it's pretty vauge if that will indeed happen.
  [#permalink] 13 Jun 2005, 23:20