Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep -680 (Q:48, V:34)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Prep -680 (Q:48, V:34) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 19:58
I've given the gmat prep-I today and scored 680 (Q:48, V:34). I haven't booked a date yet, but, planning to book one in the first week of Jan. I'm aiming for a score of 720. I've been seriously preparing for the last 4 months for about 20 hours/week with about 90% of the time spent on the verbal section.

After doing a self assessment on the verbal section, I tend to spend too much time on the RC passages and this seem to hurt on my ability to answer SC and CR questions particularly in the latter part of the section. I had like 25 minutes to answer the last 20 questions and 10 minutes to answer last 10. Pacing needs to be improved. Guys, it is important to pace yourself or all the tricks/concepts/stratergies you learned will be thrown to winds.

Any recommendations on RC materials for practice, other than OG11 and supplements? Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep -680 (Q:48, V:34) [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2007, 23:28
rakesh22 wrote:
I've given the gmat prep-I today and scored 680 (Q:48, V:34). I haven't booked a date yet, but, planning to book one in the first week of Jan. I'm aiming for a score of 720. I've been seriously preparing for the last 4 months for about 20 hours/week with about 90% of the time spent on the verbal section.

After doing a self assessment on the verbal section, I tend to spend too much time on the RC passages and this seem to hurt on my ability to answer SC and CR questions particularly in the latter part of the section. I had like 25 minutes to answer the last 20 questions and 10 minutes to answer last 10. Pacing needs to be improved. Guys, it is important to pace yourself or all the tricks/concepts/stratergies you learned will be thrown to winds.

Any recommendations on RC materials for practice, other than OG11 and supplements? Thanks.


Even I am also plagued with the same problem of RC but after lot of contemplation, I have realised that no material can give you 1 point solution like Ok do this and bang ..! What you need to do is do lot of RC's and device your own strategy..
1 approach that I have started taking off-late is to finish the 1st read of passage in NOTmore than 3 minutes and then take 1-2 minutes to ans the question.. The idea is to have 3 minutes in my mind and I read the passage accordingly.. So if the passage is big, I would just skim through it and if small I will read it well so that I don't have re-read for answering questions subsequently saving lot of time.. I just implemented this strat only once and could complete 22 questions in 3 RC's in 30 mins with only 1 wrong....
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 12:05
Take notes if you can while you read. summarise the paragraph in one two words upon reading and go to the next while keeping the idea of the previous paragraph in mind.

good luck
it helped me
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 18:18
Ravshonbek wrote:
Take notes if you can while you read. summarise the paragraph in one two words upon reading and go to the next while keeping the idea of the previous paragraph in mind.

good luck
it helped me


Thanks Amit and Ravshonbek. I'm used to taking notes as i read. I'll practice from the 3000 RC document and hope to improve. I completely agree with devising a strategy and practicing a lot (like doing 4-5 passages at a stretch) in order to get used to sticking to that strategy.

Good luck on your efforts to GMAT !
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 18:20
as you can see on Amit's avatar, he practices it all the time. just summarising, arent u? Amit?:)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 22:13
Ravshonbek wrote:
as you can see on Amit's avatar, he practices it all the time. just summarising, arent u? Amit?:)


Not really man .. I wish I could .. And... "If I could I would.." :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2007
Posts: 12
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 17:36
Hey you might want to check out the Manhattan GMAT Reading Comp supplement. It uses this same strategy of summarizing but will probably give you a better understanding of what you should be looking for.
  [#permalink] 20 Nov 2007, 17:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
GMAT Attempt 1 670 (Q48, V34)-GMAT Attempt 2 680 (Q44, V39) karthik8817 7 27 Aug 2014, 06:38
1 680 - Q 49, V 34 RHH 1 01 Dec 2013, 14:36
1 670 (Q48 V34) lordw 1 05 Mar 2010, 12:30
4 My Gmat experience: 680 (48Q, 34V, 6.0 Awa) asharc 8 15 Apr 2008, 07:18
680 (Q48, V34) 3underscore 6 09 Jan 2007, 04:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Prep -680 (Q:48, V:34)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.