Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT PREP ADVICE REQUIRED

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

GMAT PREP ADVICE REQUIRED [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 15:16
Hello everybody,

I took my GMAT Kaplan last weekend and scored 510. Ofcourse devastating! I want to apply only to top 10 - 12 schools and my score right now is not close to what they need.

I have a Masters in English Literature and have been working in IT PreSales as Bid manager for 7 years now. Can't believe life is moving so fast..it's nearly 15 years that I didn't do maths. However, my score for verbal and maths were same. That was shocking for me as I thought having a masters in English should help me with verbal..but I was so so wrong!!! Shakeapearean world and GMAT world is just so different.

I was so depressed these two days that I thought I will start preparing for GMAT after 2 years. I have a nine months old lil princess and a fulltime job. Added to my hectic schedule is my husband's ongoing MBA from Haas. I feel guilty whenever I am with books and my daughter is giving me that look: "Mama, pelase play with me." Then, ofcourse I can't hold the books any longer. Not sure if there is ever a right time to chase one's dreams. Bottom line: I was all confused! But here is the big "But/However". After reading your experiences and the energy booster signature captions, I again tried to solve a couple of DS. You guys are so so motivating! thanks so much! Now, I think I will try my best and see what's there for me.

I am planning to take my GMAT in another 2 months and still a long way to go! If anyone has a study plan, please share with me.

Any new moms out there who would like to share your experiences!

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8187 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT PREP ADVICE REQUIRED [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 18:14
Expert's post
Hi and welcome to the GMAT Club!
I can only imagine dealing with a 9 mo old and taking the GMAT. I know my wife could not do it (she has a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old..... er we have a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old).

Perhaps this will be helpful from a mother of a 1-year old: mother-of-a-1-year-kid-writing-gmat-score-740-q-50-v40-118734.html

What books did you use? Have you done any studying? Anything else we should know?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.6
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 32

Re: GMAT PREP ADVICE REQUIRED [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 19:01
Hello bidmanager,

I can never be in your shoes, but after reading your post just wanted to tell you that I think that when one is working towards a goal, and driven by purpose to achieve something one wants to achieve, then life seems more meaningful each day. As for me, when I was engrossed in my preparation, I was happy most of the time, on the work and off the work.

So if GMAT and then MBA is your dream, you should go for it. And maybe one day your daughter may ask you "Hey mom, what strategies you used to kill DS questions?". [and for that you should score more than your husband, else your daughter may skip you to your husband ;)]

As per your last question, I think you can start by looking at your strengths/weak points. You can start by reading a supplementary book on your weak points, GMAT OG, GMAT prep tests etc. Two months is a short time. You should focus only on standard and well known books/tests. This forum will more than help you. do share if you need any help.

cheers
Mayank
My GMAT Journey: 720 + dare = 760

Re: GMAT PREP ADVICE REQUIRED   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2011, 19:01