Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 10:43

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Haas '18
GMAT Date: 07-20-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 35

CAT Tests
GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 13:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi There Everyone,

I just started with my GMAT preparations from 1st October and I am planning to give the exams in mid January.

After some extensive research over the Gmat club topics regarding the prep books that i should refer to or start with for my long GMAT journey. I decided on using the following books for my preparations for GMAT:

Must Have Book :

The Official Guide for GMAT Review - 13th Edition

Verbal :

Foundations of GMAT Verbal Edition - Manhattan

Sentence Correction - MGMAT CR
Reading Comprehension - MGMAT RC
Critical Reasoning - Powerscore CR

The Official Guide for GMAT® Verbal Review, 2nd Edition (will buy it after completing with the above mentioned books)

Quant :

Foundations of GMAT Math 5th Edition - Manhattan

OR

The GMAT Club Math Book (Free for GMAT Club Member)

Fractions, Decimals, & Percents GMAT Strategy Guide - Manhattan
Algebra GMAT Strategy Guide - Manhattan
Word Problems GMAT Strategy Guide - Manhattan
Geometry GMAT Strategy Guide - Manhattan
Number Properties GMAT Strategy Guide - Manhattan

The Official Guide for GMAT® Quantitative Review, 2nd Edition (will buy it after completing with the above mentioned books)

Integrated Reasoning :

The CD received with the The Official Guide for GMAT Review - 13th Edition has IR Q's
Will refer to posts regarding IR that are available on GMAT Club.

Tests/Question Packs :

The 6 free online tests that I will receive with the purchase of MGMAT Books.
2 Practice test available on GMAT Prep Software + 2 more can be accessible by installing earlier version of GMAT Power Prep (The links on how to get those are available in the gc forums)
Diagnostic Test available on The Official Guide for GMAT Review - 13th Edition & on GMAT Club.
Other free test and question banks available on different websites.
GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 (If I feel the need for that)

Highlights :

I Took GMAT Practice Test (GMAT Prep Software) on 3rd October 2013

Total Score - 430 :(
Quantitative - Q18 | 16th Percentile
Verbal - V31 | 26th Percentile

I have just started with my journey and thought of taking the practice test to know my level (which is not so good according to me). I am planning for a score around or above 680.

I am not a native english speaker and I am little weak in quant as my academics or work did not require that.

I have 3 questions regarding the above post:

1. Are the the prep books that I have selected for GMAT are covering all my needs to reach 680+ score ?

2. The timeline that i am planning (October Start to January Mid) is enough to get thorough with the above mentioned books and GMAT as a whole to get a good score?

3. Regarding the prep books for Quant that I am planning to start with, I am confused between :

Foundations of GMAT Math 5th Edition - Manhattan
or

I searched for posts relating to distinction between them but I didn't find any.

It would be an immense help to get answers to these questions.

Thanks and Regards,

Anshul

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”

Jerry Rice

Last edited by Anshulmodi on 05 Oct 2013, 08:59, edited 3 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [1] , given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Anshulmodi wrote:

I have 3 questions regarding the above post:

1. Are the the prep books that I have selected for GMAT are covering all my needs to reach 680+ score ? Yes you chosen prep books are enough to get that score.

2. The timeline that i am planning (October Start to January Mid) is enough to get thorough with the above mentioned books and GMAT as a whole to get a good score? Sufficient (Though you have to study productively).

3. Regarding the prep books for Quant that I am planning to start with, I am confused between :

Foundations of GMAT Math 5th Edition - Manhattan (start with the foundation, it will help you to clear the rusty quant portions)
or

I searched for posts relating to distinction between them but I didn't find any.

It would be an immense help to get answers to these questions.

Thanks and Regards,

Anshul

Looks like you have extracted the juice out of GC club :lol:

ATB

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 09:03
Yes I actually did :lol:

I would love if you could answer my questions

Thanks anyways,

Anshul

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”

Jerry Rice

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 09:49
Anshulmodi wrote:
Yes I actually did :lol:

I would love if you could answer my questions

Thanks anyways,

Anshul

Check the bold part in my earlier post.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 10:38
Hey sorry I missed that.

Many Thanks.

Will start with the foundations tomorrow itself.

Jerry Rice

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 07:50
Great Research work done!!

Bottom Line: these books are TO BE PRACTICED FOR ONE TO GET A GOOD SCORE IN GMAT.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 6

Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Anshul,

I really appreciate the elaborate research that you have put in. Study material that you have listed is more than sufficient for GMAT preparation. What you need to do now is plan and prioritize. Given that you have just about 3 months, you may not be able to finish all material that you have listed here.you may end up giving more time to topics you begin with and may rush to finish other topics later on.

My advice will be to choose only one theory book/any coaching material each for verbal and quants to learn concepts, solve OG 13th edition in full and go with 6 Manhattan mock tests and 2 gmatprep mock tests. Thoroughly learn and analysis this material. If time permits than only go for any additional material.

And not to forget, being regular in your study for next 3 months is the key.

You may also download this GMAT Test tool http://bit.ly/TZTs51 to gauge your preparation.

Let me know if you need to know more. Will be glad to help you.

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 22:47
Hi Neha,

Thank you for the advice and for the link of GMAT Test tool.

I would like to mention that I don't have a stringent timeline for the prep. I can give in a month or two more for that matter if I feel the need for it. But i want to get the best score in my 1st shot as I am not planning on retaking it (as of now :lol: )

I plan to finish off with both of the Manhattan Foundation Books by end of October + The online question banks on Manhattan website.
(I am not finding the Math Foundation book that helpful as 80% of the concepts were already known to me. But still it was a quick recap)

Reading of Newspapers and Novel (Currently Reading - Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck) is done on regular basis to be more thorough in Vocabulary and English Language as a whole.

After completing with my Foundation Books + Online Question Banks + Vocab List & R.C Idioms in Manhattan Verbal Foundation Book..........I am planning to take a full practice test (1 from the 6 online test by Manhattan) in November 1st week to see what is the improvement in my prep.

Should I also solve the whole of OG book than take the test or should I just take one in November 1st week to check the level ?

Will I be able to solve 80-90% of questions in OG book after completing with both of the Foundation Book or should I also complete few or all of the Manhattan supplement guides and than jump to OG directly?

Jerry Rice

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months... [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 22:27
Hi Anshul,

Sorry could not reply earlier. it's mid November and I guess you are done with foundation books. My suggestion for you is to give more and more full length tests now..secondly, solve OG completely if not done so far. If you face issues in any particular question types, go back to basics in that area..questions in OG are mostly arranged in increasing order of difficulty, so even if you are short of time,go with solving last 30% or 40% OG questions.

Let me know if you need any assistance. For online GMAT preparation visit http://bit.ly/XKxOPd

Cheers!
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: GMAT Prep books to go from 400's to 680+ in 3 months...   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 22:27