Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 21:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT prep books sequence

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 17:41
Hi,

I just started to study for GMAT and is planning to apply by the end of this year (2012). I've read thru the study plans and recommanded books on the GmatClub, and I've bought several books but don't really know which one to start. here are the books I got:

1. Kaplan GMAT 2012 Premier
2. The Official Guide for GMAT Review
3. The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review
4. The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review
5. Foundations of GMAT Verbal (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guide: Foundations of Verbal)
6. Foundations of GMAT Math: GMAT Strategy Supplement (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guide: Foundations of Math)
7. Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, Fourth Edition (Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides)

Is there any suggested sequence?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 03:14
jasjaa wrote:
Hi,

I just started to study for GMAT and is planning to apply by the end of this year (2012). I've read thru the study plans and recommanded books on the GmatClub, and I've bought several books but don't really know which one to start. here are the books I got:

5. Foundations of GMAT Verbal (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guide: Foundations of Verbal)
6. Foundations of GMAT Math: GMAT Strategy Supplement (Manhattan GMAT Preparation Guide: Foundations of Math)
7. Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, Fourth Edition (Manhattan GMAT Strategy Guides)

start with a gmatprep practice test so that you can get to know about your current level of understanding of the gmat related topics. then decide where to start based on your score.
if you get 40+ in quant section of gmatprep, i don't think foundations of gmat math will be much help for you. also a 35+ verbal score will mean that you don't need to spend much time on foundation of gmat verbal.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 06:00
Definitely start off with a diagnositc test first, to figure out which section -- math or verbal -- you should devote more time to. Then plan study schedule accordingly.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 2.93
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

Re: GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 03:09
jasjaa wrote:

Certainly agree with the others to start with a diagnosis.

But given the books you use think about going through Kaplan Premier and whenever you don't understand the "short" explanation at the beginning of the chapter grab a hold of the foundations book. The official guides are more a big collection of questions.

I would recommend a test - see where you are. Big weak spots --> take the foundations.

Decent performance (>25 Verbal, >30 Quant) go for Kaplan Premier and work your way thorugh and go back in fundamentals if needed.

Do another test and then go through the questions in the official GMAT. Keep track of errors and find your weak spots.

Use the MGMAT Guides for the weak spots and you have a great chance of a really nice score.

What prep time did you have in mind? Or what score?

faber est quisque fortunae suae

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 265

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
Hey,

good book collection you have ;)

I'm just starting with nearly the same materials as you. I have a slightly different approach than the one, offered by the other people. It all depends on the you view.

As you think to dedicate the entire year to your preparation (I would rather change that and try to do until the 6th of June one attempt, as then the GMAT format will change and there will be new MGMAT, Kaplan and OG books as well), I would start with both Foundation book, no matter in what sequence, and then make a GMATPrep CAT in order to gauge my level. Should be dobe in around 3-4 weeks.

Than have a look on the Kaplan Premier to get some general feeling about the strategies, used in exam preparation and the GMAT itself.

Finally, start reading all 8 MGMAT Strategy Guides, whereas I think they are the most important source of information. Study them slowly, write down everything you don't know cold, and complete OG's questions mentioned in every chapter. If you succeed doing this in 2-2,5 months, then the remaining time until June can be dedicated to completing the remaining MGMAT CAT's as well as GMAT Prep tests.

The error log is obligatory!

At least that's the approach which I aim to apply.

Regards,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 06:48
I agree. I also have just started with the 8 MGMAT guides. I have read dozens of posts, plenty recommending starting with a CAT to gauge my starting position. I just took my first pass through the first chapter book #1, 'Number Properties'... boy am I rusty.

I am going to slowly make my way through, similarly, and take notes on the important things and what I don't know cold. Work my way through the problem sets at the end of each chapter and do this for a couple of weeks, repeating the problems and getting the process down. Once my OG 12's arrive, I might do a few problems from there (only a few) but am more likely to do practice problems from my Kaplan Premiere '12 book. Then do a CAT, gauge where I stand, and continue along. I will likely spend anywhere between my last 2-3 weeks doing CATs.

This is a tentative outline. I plan to be flexible with my studies, and address my problem areas the most, as the develop/make themselves apparent.

"Continuos effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 37

Re: GMAT prep books sequence [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 13:19
Looks like a plan. I've also just begun. From what I've gathered about the OG's, you may be underestimating the value of completely exhausting those resources.
Re: GMAT prep books sequence   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2012, 13:19