Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep CAT 1 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi AvalonQQ,

A 690 is a fantastic initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Assuming that you took this CAT in a realistic fashion, then I would say that you have a good chance to score at a high level on Test Day. The GMAT is unlike the various tests that you would have taken in School - you will likely get a lot of questions wrong on the Official GMAT (and that's okay, as long as you're not incorrectly answering the questions that matter).

As far as the last question was concerned, as long as you had bubbled one of the answer choices, then you were credited with answering the question (even if you did not 'confirm' it). Based on your analysis, if you really did get a bunch of questions wrong because of silly/little mistakes, then THAT is what you have to focus on eliminating from your work. A bit more note-taking and better organization should help.

Since your Official GMAT is about 3 weeks away, you should plan to take a few more FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) - about 1 per week. I don't see any reason to postpone your GMAT just yet, and you have a bit of time before you have to make that decision anyway, so you should plan to continue your studies as you see fit. Once you've taken your next CAT, you should post back here.

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Rich, thanks a lot for your response.

I did make the CAT as realistic as possible, took both the AWA and IR sections, only a max of 8 minute breaks for water and a snack. I was planning on reviewing all my mistakes today (I tried to yesterday but I was exhausted by the end of the test heh) and working on whatever I know was a weak point. For example, I had mistakes in 3 DS and 1 PS in Inequalities. Out of the 15 mistakes, I'm fairly sure that only 5-8 were "ungettable", so yeah, I have a bit of work to do in Quant.

As far as writing more CATs goes, do you suggest that I pick up GMATPrep CATs? I have only 1 GMATPrep CAT left, but I can buy the Exam Pack. I've been told that it's better to stay away from unofficial tests closer to test day.

Assuming all goes well, I'll write my next CAT between Sunday and Wednesday next week and report back once I'm done.

To answer your questions:

1) I'm from an over-represented demographic, so I definitely need atleast 700. Anything below will probably be a retake.
2) I'm applying for the 2017 Fall intake, so I'll have to start my Round 1 applications the week after my GMAT is done.

Thanks again for your response!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Prep CAT 1 [#permalink]
Hey hey!
I'm no expert and I have not much to contribute except for a bunch of coincidences.

Took the GMAT Prep 1 Yesterday, was my first CAT, got 710 Q49V38 with 14 wrong in Quant and 11 wrong in verbal.
My exam is scheduled for August 10th.
Also freaked out by how many you can get wrong and still come up with a good score.
Did some research that eased my mind. The most helpful was https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-accurate- ... 01181.html

It is also important to address that if your time expires and you had chosen some answer but couldn't reach the "next/finish"button in time, your answer have been saved. No worries. At least that's what Bunuel says ( https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-sof ... 46146.html )

See ya!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rpicler wrote:
Hey hey!
I'm no expert and I have not much to contribute except for a bunch of coincidences.

Took the GMAT Prep 1 Yesterday, was my first CAT, got 710 Q49V38 with 14 wrong in Quant and 11 wrong in verbal.
My exam is scheduled for August 10th.
Also freaked out by how many you can get wrong and still come up with a good score.
Did some research that eased my mind. The most helpful was https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-accurate- ... 01181.html

It is also important to address that if your time expires and you had chosen some answer but couldn't reach the "next/finish"button in time, your answer have been saved. No worries. At least that's what Bunuel says ( https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-sof ... 46146.html )

See ya!

Hahaha that's a lot of coincidences! Thanks, I'll read through all this, hopefully it'll put my mind at ease. Good luck for your exam!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Update - Just did my 2nd GMAT CAT, and I did slightly better. I minimized a couple of the careless mistakes, but I'm still not happy. I ended up scoring 710 (Q49, V38), but again, had 9 wrong in Quant and 11 in Verbal. Of the 9 wrong in Quant, I'm sure I could've easily minimized it to 5-6, same for Verbal. 5 of the wrong answers in Verbal were me getting stuck between 2 options and picking wrong.

I have my GMAT in 8 days. My target is 700, do you suggest a reschedule so I can work on my mistakes or am I good to go? The number of mistakes I make during a CAT is really stressing me out at this point. How would you suggest I spend my time this week assuming I write? I had 0 issues with timing, I finished Quant with over 15 minutes left and Verbal with like 12 minutes left.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AvalonQQ,

With this second score, you're in position to hit your score goal on Test Day, so I don't see an obvious reason to reschedule. You've also defined your big 'issue' (little mistakes) AND even provided a frame-work for how to fix it. Since you're finishing the Quant and Verbal sections so EARLY, you can afford to slow down, take more notes (do the work on the PAD - NOT in your head) and eliminate those little mistakes.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi AvalonQQ,

With this second score, you're in position to hit your score goal on Test Day, so I don't see an obvious reason to reschedule. You've also defined your big 'issue' (little mistakes) AND even provided a frame-work for how to fix it. Since you're finishing the Quant and Verbal sections so EARLY, you can afford to slow down, take more notes (do the work on the PAD - NOT in your head) and eliminate those little mistakes.

Rich

I just panic during the early stages and assume I'm going to get stuck later on, so it ends up with me being way ahead of time early. I've definitely got to slow down. But thanks, good to hear, I was going to spend the week reviewing all my older mistakes and doing practice sets of 10-15. Do you suggest I take another CAT or would that burn me out? Please note that I treat a practice CAT like a real one, thinking about it a lot the day before, trying to ensure I eat right and sleep right before I take it etc etc.

I guess I'll just hope for the best, thanks again for your help. 8 more days........
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AvalonQQ,

If you're going to take one more CAT, then you should do so this weekend (taking the CAT too close to Test Day can actually work against your goals). When it comes to your pacing issue, keep in mind that it would almost always be better for you (overall) if you ran out of time and had to guess on the last question in each section than if you finished each section 10-15 minutes early.

Rich
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Let me stress that it is absolutely normal to miss large numbers of questions, even when you're scoring very high on the test. Trying to eliminate all errors is not a healthy approach, mainly because it is not going to happen! It's good to work on your consistency and accuracy, so that you don't miss easier questions, but in the end it's important to accept that you will miss a lot of questions. If you let this get to you on test day, it's likely to warp your approach to the test and lower your score.

So in short, believe what the practice tests are telling you. You can break 700, and you will still miss plenty of questions doing so. Go into the test with the goal of recreating what you've done at home, not breaking new ground.

Good luck!
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
DmitryFarber wrote:
Let me stress that it is absolutely normal to miss large numbers of questions, even when you're scoring very high on the test. Trying to eliminate all errors is not a healthy approach, mainly because it is not going to happen! It's good to work on your consistency and accuracy, so that you don't miss easier questions, but in the end it's important to accept that you will miss a lot of questions. If you let this get to you on test day, it's likely to warp your approach to the test and lower your score.

Exactly. I would add that the total number of questions wrong is less important than where you get the questions wrong, and how many questions you get wrong in a row. You'd be surprised at the wide range of scores you can get with the same number incorrect.

leveraging-the-gmat-scoring-algorithm-to-your-advantage-221175.html
GMAT Club Bot