Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep - Class or No Class?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Prep - Class or No Class? [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 09:09
I have been preparing for the GMAT for roughly three months (two months of hard studying). I've done all self study, focusing mainly on the Quant section. I haven't been doing that well on the MGMAT CAT's (High 500's). I am scheduled to take the test one week from tomorrow (11/03/12). I am going to cram for the next week and see how I do. If my actual score reflects how I've done on the practice tests, I will need to revisit my study strategy and take the test again (aiming for 680). Can anyone chime in on whether they have taken a class and if it helped much? Thank you!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: GMAT Prep - Class or No Class? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 04:07
I have never taken a class but going from high 500's to 680 is a big increase. I believe that the way to achieve an increase that large is though mastering material on the GMAT that you are somewhat unfamiliar with at this point. At thins point, I don't think that a class is worth the money.

However, that being said, I hope that your prove me wrong and do exceptionally well. Best of luck. Let us know how you do.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep - Class or No Class? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 06:05
At this stage, you should know of the areas of the test where you excel and those that challenge you. If you need to retake the exam, take a target approach to studying. This means focus on those areas that challenged you and do everything you can to improve those areas. Usually this means hiring a tutor who is an expert in the area where you are focusing on. Also, to get the most out of these sessions, be as specific as you can: like I am having problems with geometry problems on data sufficiency; i have problems understanding science passages on reading comprehension, etc.

Good luck.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep - Class or No Class? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 12:12
Thank you all for your input here. I took the last MGMAT test yesterday and got a 660. I am excited about the increase but I know I still need to work hard to touch up on my weaknesses. I am still scoring poorly on Number property questions. I will drill down on those.

I am 6 days out from my test. Given my most current CAT test result, any suggestions on prep before the test next week?

Thank you!
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep - Class or No Class? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 06:35
Just relax and take it easy , don't try to cram too much into your head in the last few days .

Just go through your flashcard/notes during the last week and maybe do one practice exam just to stay in the "zone".

This link may help - what-to-do-for-the-last-14-days-before-the-real-test-120895.html

Good luck !
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep - Class or No Class? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 11:07
Looks like I will need to retake the exam. Took the test Saturday and did poorly. The biggest surprise to me was the difficulty I had on the verbal section. Quant was about what I expected.

So, back to my original question...given my current situation, does anyone recommend a certain class? I work fulltime and have difficulty managing efficient study sessions during the week.
Re: GMAT Prep - Class or No Class?   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2012, 11:07