Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Haha (it's not that funny really,) BOTH. Really though, quantitative is the hardest for me.

Basically my problem is I rearranged my work schedule (twice,) and even my flight out of Korea based upon these 2 Veritas classes that were cancelled. I had been studying on my own for 2.5 months- gave myself a 2 week break because I was exhausted and not improving, all to wait for a Veritas class that I found out was cancelled. So now I'm wondering where I should turn for a prep course. I'm starting to accept that I may not be able to take the test in August as planned.

One question I do have: I keep reading on these boards of a Manhattan GMAT that everyone raves about. I know there are 2- Manhattan Gmat, and Manhattan Review Gmat. Which is the one everybody loves???

Thanx :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello 0713root

Getting a score of 40 and above on the quantitative section of the GMAT is not that hard !, here are some good pointers that I think will help you (the same way they helped me) to achieve that goal.

1. Know the basics !!

This is a must. If you don't know what 3C7 means or you don't remember the formulas for the area and surface of a cubic square - its a big problem.

2. Solve a lot of problems from this board.

You have to participate in the forums and answer questions. Try to be the first to answer a math problem on the " Math Questions and Intellectual Discussions " borad. Even if you get the first few questions wrong , you will learn so much from this experience (and you can always use the :roll: or :cry: emoticons). Try to write a shorter and cleverer solution to other people replies on this borad.

3. Time yourself.

You can find in this forum some good Excel spreadsheets that will help you track your progress & timing. If you don't find such a spreadsheets, please PM to me and I will send you one.

4. Buy access to the GMATClub challenges.

Only if you have the money and can afford it ! - there you will find some of the toughest and meanest questions (GMAT oriented) you have ever seen.

5. Stay in scope.

Don't bother to learn stuff that will not help you in the GMAT , like INVCOS, SIN or the Mass-Energy Equivalence (E=mc^2).

6. Most important to remember !

GMAT isn't an end but only a mean !

Good luck

:-D

Originally posted by KillerSquirrel on 05 Jul 2007, 22:36.
Last edited by KillerSquirrel on 06 Jul 2007, 08:15, edited 3 times in total.
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
KillerSquirrel wrote:
Hello 0713root

Getting a score of 35 and above on the quantitative section of the GMAT is that hard !, here are some good pointers that I think will help you (the same way they helped me) to achieve that goal.

1. Know the basics !!

This is a must. If you don't know what 3C7 means or you don't remember the formulas for the area and surface of a cubic square - its a big problem.

2. Solve a lot of problems from this board.

You have to participate in the forums and answer questions. Try to be the first to answer a math problem on the " Math Questions and Intellectual Discussions " borad. Even if you get the first few questions wrong , you will learn so much from this experience (and you can always use the :roll: or :cry: emoticons). Try to write a shorter and cleverer solution to other people replies on this borad.

3. Time yourself.

You can find in this forum some good Excel spreadsheets that will help you track your progress & timing. If you don't find such a spreadsheets, please PM to me and I will send you one.

4. Buy access to the GMATClub challenges.

Only if you have the money and can afford it ! - there you will find some of the toughest and meanest questions (GMAT oriented) you have ever seen.

5. Stay in scope.

Don't bother to learn stuff that will not help you in the GMAT , like INVCOS, SIN or the Mass-Energy Equivalence (E=mc^2).

6. Most important to remember !

GMAT isn't an end but only a mean !

Good luck

:-D

I think all of this is EXCELLENT advice! Well put Killer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
to 713 root [#permalink]
Hi,
GMAX Online has a solution that may be perfect for your needs. You have the desire to study properly, the time to do so (but not the specific times necessary for a course), and the need for the highest grade you can get. GMAX Online was made for you. Check out the demo lessons here on this site under the review. Also, go to youtube.com and look up gmat, and you will see 3 demo lessons there.
Our students are doing very well, and enjoy the course tremendously.
You can read some of their comments here on the forums.
Regards, and good luck.
Leanna
Director,
https://www.gmaxonline.com
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Honestly, if you've been prepping for 2.5 months with no improvement, you're doing something obvisouly wrong. Are you just doing a bunch of questions without reviewing them? Are you putting in half an hour a week? According to your schedule, you seem not to have enough time to prep adequately. Don't for one second think that enrolling in a prep course will magically boost your score by 200 pts. It's this exact false hope that the prep courses live off of.

I suggest you re-evaluate your situation. If you don't have the time to properly prepare for the test, then don't.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think what it is is that it takes me a while to learn some of the basic concepts. Yes I go over my mistakes- but I feel overwhelmed by them- (because there are so many at times.)

Honestly- I feel like I've gone through a real roller-coaster lately with my studying. Here's what has happened:

I wanted to enroll in an in-classroom course. I enrolled for one through Veritas for early May that got cancelled. So I enrolled for the next in-class course in early August. (This is where my comfort level was- I wanted a teacher to help guide me through my mistakes.)

Then I had to switch the class due to my new job starting- and my move for it to another country. I settled for a live online class that was suppossed to start last Saturday-

That class ALSO GETS CANCELLED. Before I was finally told of this (for some reason they knew it was cancelled and no one contacted me- I had to call them....5 times!!!)- I had taken a 2 week break because I was burned out. I did try hard. I would study at least 10-12 hours a week on the Quant section alone. I saw some improvement- but when it came to my practice tests (and being timed,) I'd freak out, and BOMB.
:cry:

All of that w/ the added problems Veritas has given me left me feeling even more insecure, and worried. So now....I'm thinking I will NOT be able to take my test in August. I just won't be ready and don't want to force myself. I'm looking at enrolling in a MGMAT self-study course- because that is all that will accomodate my schedule.

AND I may quite possibly have to fly to Vietnam in order to take my test- because this may be the only place that can also accomodate my work schedule at my new job. It's a bit of added stress- but that's fine. I've accepted that this may be what I have to do- because I REALLY WANT THIS...

I feel I'm getting a second wind though- and am NOT GOING TO GIVE UP. I know that much. It's just that after rearranging my schedule, my flight out of Korea for my new job, and my test date around these stupid Veritas classes- it has only made me that much more stressed out.

However- I am waiting for my refund from Veritas- and am going to start with someone esle. I'm not at square one- I know that and can sense that looking at some of the material again. But this board has definately helped me with my motivation- and offered me lots of encouragement.....so thanx. :)

Anyway- so that's my current situation. Probably not much anyone can give me as far as advice- but just need to vent....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
You can classify gmat preparation as consisting of:
a)content(or concepts, or fundamendals)
b) test taking strategies.

Most test prep providers emphasize the latter. But your problem is the former.
If you have time, find out about some of the good sources to address your weakness. It will be much clearer afterwards whether courses can help you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts