Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Course - Which one with anticipated work schedule

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Prep Course - Which one with anticipated work schedule [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 07:44
I'm looking to prepare for and take the GMAT this summer, but I have a somewhat broken up schedule due to work and previous plans. I'm looking into the MGMAT classes as they are local for me (NYC); the full course is a 9-week commitment.

There are basically two windows I am looking into; starting in mid-May and finishing in late July or starting in early-July and finishing in early-September. I'm pretty much stuck with a mid-week class due to weekend schedules.

My commitments are as follows:

Memorial Day Weekend (May 24-27): Out of town wedding; Likely limited study time, possibly totally a wash

June 22-30: Vacation with wife; limited to no study time and will miss at least one class

July 9-10, 15-16, and 23-24: Out of town work projects; Limited study time

Anyway, so the big issue is the vacation and the tight timing. If I start immediately then I will have limited time (~1.5 weeks) to go through the math foundations prep and Khan Academy lessons, which I really need based on my 560 initial CAT (500Q, 620V split; basically guessed 1/2 the quant questions and another 1/3 of the verbal). If I wait to start until later then I have more time to prep myself for the class, but I will be bumping up pretty close to the CBS early decision deadline (10/3), which is one route I am considering.

One thing to note, I have the full set of MGMAT guided self study books already from 2012; sort of failed to launch on my prep a year and half ago due to work obligations and now I don't have online access or current written content. I'm concerned that I've fallen off the wagon in my ability to self-prep given the issues I had last year and I am targeting a high score (720+); I feel like this is my one shot to get that. Although, I have had success with self-prep programs in the past and I'm a strong standardized test taker (96th percentile SAT w/no test prep, 97th percentile LSAT with self-prep). If I can self-prep then a lot of these issues go away.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 6

Re: GMAT Prep Course - Which one with anticipated work schedule [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 12:00
Expert's post
jloopy,

With your background in doing well on previous standardized tests - you should be able to reach your target potential. The tough part is familiarizing yourself with the various question types and identifying what is important and what is not important for your test.

We happen to cater our course specifically towards busy, working professionals who have limited time to study on weekdays. Our 1 month study plan includes daily email reminders telling students exactly what needs to be done on each day. Generally, you need to budget 2-3 hours per weekday and full 10 hour days on weekends.

Our course is also fully accessible via our iPhone, Android, and iPad apps - so you can download videos on WiFi and bring them with you anywhere. Study on your commute to work or during your lunch break without using the company intranet for your personal studies.

For someone like you who has done well in previous tests and also probably can't commit to in-classroom classes - an online course may be effective in accomplishing what you need. Either way, it's worth exploring your options before you dive in.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: GMAT Prep Course - Which one with anticipated work schedule   [#permalink] 06 May 2013, 12:00