Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Plan - Retake in 4 to 5 months

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Prep Plan - Retake in 4 to 5 months [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2006, 08:53
Hello,

I just got back from the official test yesterday and completely bombed it. I got a 580 (around 37% in math, around 80% in verbal), even though I have been consistently getting high 600s on every practice test including the GMATprep. What really gets me is that I just graduated summa cum laude from an engineering program in the US and got owned in the math. I think my problem is I don't have a good understanding of the basics, stemming from my living in 22 different places before I was 21 years old (thank you Air Force!).

I'm not sure what the he** went wrong. There were no issues concerning sleep, nervousness, tragic events, at all. It was just a normal day. When I did the practice tests, I always did the essays to get used to the format.

To study I spent 1.5 months (I'm assuming not enough) and went through the Kaplan and OG. I would study for a couple of hours a day and about 3 hours each weekend day.

Obviously, I need a new plan. What do you feel about Kaplan vs. Manhattan GMAT classes? I'm leaning towards the MGMAT because their books teach you the basics, not just tricks. Money really isn't an issue with my decision, only the location of being in the Washington D.C. area. I have at least 5 months to study to study for this. Because of the score and my age (22) I'm going to give it a year to increase my work experience and GMAT score before applying. I was originally going to apply this year if my GMAT was strong enough just to see what happened. My ultimate goal is switching from technology to investment banking.

So... if you have 5 months to study, what would you do? My goal is NYU or Columbia, so I'm aiming high.

I suppose get used to my ugly mug around here more often... I've been lurking around but need to get more involved and help the great community here more.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

It Depends [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 11:57
Dude:

I know what you mean - I come from a culture where folks are cocky about exam taking looking down on the GMAT only to get 'clotheslined' by it!! Especially folks who have a track record of smarts!!

So you have to study for the GMAT itself and treat it like war - that is what I'm doing. I plan to take mine either late October/early November and will be takeing the Veritas Prep Course probably starting Sept 11

If you are interested in Veritas give me a holler at christian.victory@gmail.com so I can refer you and split the $$ with you.

All the best dude!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1529 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2006, 05:25
I took manhattan and cant recommend them enough. I also tried Kaplan and Princeton and dropped out of both. They were nowhere near good enough.

As such, I would suggest Manhattan (not knowing much about Veritas). If you have any questions, just PM me and I'll be happy to answer them.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2006, 07:39
Thanks for the information. I'll probably be doing the Manhattan GMAT and will update everyone on the board about the program in detail.
  [#permalink] 04 Sep 2006, 07:39