Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep & Power Prep Official Free GMAT Tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7589 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 18:13
Expert's post
lonewolf wrote:
Does the reinstalling works for all GMAT prep1, prep 2 as well as the power prep?

Yes (make sure you delete the data folder besides the uninstall). You may also be able to reset the tests, but not sure if there is much of a difference between the two.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 05:34
If you click the link provided
http://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/Download ... nSoftware/

Is that GMAT prep 1 or prep 2?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 06:19
lonewolf wrote:
If you click the link provided
http://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/Download ... nSoftware/

Is that GMAT prep 1 or prep 2?

That is the more recent version (Prep 2).

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 60

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 12:45
bigoyal wrote:
timetrader wrote:
GMAT Prep "Reset" - Reinstall
1.Go to C:\Program Files\GMATPrep\Exams
2.Within the Exams folder, you should see a Practice Test 1.log and a Practice Test 2.log
3.Delete or I'd say move to other location both logs*
4.Relaunch the GMAT Prep software, and it should show you that both practice exams are now Not Attempted, and you can take them again.

For those using Windows Vista
I just discovered that GMATPrep creates a folder and log file at following location:

C:\Users\{user_name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\GMATPrep\exams

{user_name} will vary from system to system. Otherwise, you can directly open your user folder from desktop and navigate to \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\GMATPrep\exams

*Make sure you have hidden files visible

Very good advice for Vista users. Thank you. I use Vista as well. However, there is no info about GPrep in the \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files folder. Instead, I found the info directly in the program folder on disk C.

C:\Program Files\GMATPrep\exams

If someone has similar problem, try this path.

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

GMATPrep - Not able to get rid of previous tests [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 12:16
Hi Club,

I've been having a problem with the GMATPrep application lately. I've installed it several times, erased the logs from my computer's memory, and chosen to start new tests but for the past week it has kept my previous 2 attempts and not allowed me to re-try the tests. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
SW
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: GMATPrep - Not able to get rid of previous tests [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 12:37
In other words, it won't let me fully complete the exams - it just says they are unfinished no matter what I do. I've done them several times each and never experienced this problem before.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 21:07
I just started using the GMAT Prep old version and I noticed the essay topics are the same.

Is that right? Or have I messed up the installation folders, which I don't think it's unlikely.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 15:50
Great. I am skeptical using anything that is not OFFICIAL....my instructor told me to stick to the official guide.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2009, 19:17
Hi - I have test scheduled in next few days. I wish to re take the GMAT prep tests 1 and 2.

Do I need to go to mba.com and download the gmatprep software again or even with the current version of download i can chnage the setting so that I can get new questions. I wish to avoid the repeat questions as much as possible. I will really appreciate the quick help on this as I have test in few days.

In my first attempt for 2 tests I did okish. I just wish to make sure that I am familiar with look, feel and diffculty of general GMAT questions.

- Dolly
Manager
Manager

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2009, 21:05
dolly12 wrote:
Hi - I have test scheduled in next few days. I wish to re take the GMAT prep tests 1 and 2.

Do I need to go to mba.com and download the gmatprep software again or even with the current version of download i can chnage the setting so that I can get new questions. I wish to avoid the repeat questions as much as possible. I will really appreciate the quick help on this as I have test in few days.

In my first attempt for 2 tests I did okish. I just wish to make sure that I am familiar with look, feel and diffculty of general GMAT questions.

- Dolly

timetrader wrote:

3. Getting the Most out of GMAT Prep
Now there is a number of different strategies on how to use GMAT Prep tests most effectively. And the answer to which one is the best, of course is — it depends.
Most people agree that its good to keep one test till the end of the preparation process to use it as an accurate estimator of the GMAT score.

Though some people recommend to take it more than two times... one or two extra times in order to get new questions. Some real fans even go to the extent of squeezing all the life out of it by taking the test until they don't see any new questions. It's up to you to decide whether this is a good strategy for you. But if you ever want to take GMAT Prep more then twice here is how to do it:

GMAT Prep "Reset" - Reinstall
1.Go to C:\Program Files\GMATPrep\Exams
2.Within the Exams folder, you should see a Practice Test 1.log and a Practice Test 2.log
3.Delete or I'd say move to other location both logs*
4.Relaunch the GMAT Prep software, and it should show you that both practice exams are now Not Attempted, and you can take them again.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2009, 21:16
I tried this by deleting log files. It did not work. I just want to make sure that I need not to download the software from mba.com, right?

Then, as per post from BB i tried deleting the .dat (data files). Then on launching GMAT prep software, it start giving me error message and did not let me in.

Please advise..

- Dolly
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 22:02
dolly12 wrote:
I tried this by deleting log files. It did not work. I just want to make sure that I need not to download the software from mba.com, right?

Then, as per post from BB i tried deleting the .dat (data files). Then on launching GMAT prep software, it start giving me error message and did not let me in.

Please advise..

- Dolly

I'm afraid if by any chance you deleted wrong files. Anyway, you can always uninstall and reinstall the software.

In my case I used to reset the test simply by using the reset feature. GMATPrep tests always gives a prompt if someone wants to restart the test or want to continue with the previous test.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 03:41
Hello,
Does anyone knows the mechanism to check the questions and their corresponding explanations after attempting the test?

There must be a database. In case it is not stored in encrypted form, the entire question database much be readable.

Any pointers??
Manager
Manager

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2009, 10:16
tarun wrote:
Hello,
Does anyone knows the mechanism to check the questions and their corresponding explanations after attempting the test?

There must be a database. In case it is not stored in encrypted form, the entire question database much be readable.

Any pointers??

You have a great point. I would like to find out the answer to your question as well.
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 378 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 21:40
wilbase wrote:
tarun wrote:
Hello,

Any pointers??

You have a great point. I would like to find out the answer to your question as well.

If you get an access to the entire question database, I think you should not post it on public forums else probably GMAC would call the act as "hacking" and "unethical" :P

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 22:00
Expert's post
I am more than sure it is encrypted.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 11:32
please help me .. is there any way to run GMATprep software on vista 64 bit machine.. It is not working
Intern
Intern
Schools: wharton (R2-int), booth (R2-WL), sloan (R2-int), kellogg (R2-admit), columbia (R2-ding)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 11:38
this is good stuff.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 17:58
Expert's post
amritkr wrote:
please help me .. is there any way to run GMATprep software on vista 64 bit machine.. It is not working

Have you tried doing it in compatibility mode? (set compatibility to Windows XP 32 bit or smth like that?)

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hey,

I see that some Mac users are finding Wine and Crossover a bit complicated to set up. I just found out about WineBottler and thought it was really easy to install GMATPrep, and it runs perfectly.

After installing Winebottler, you download GMATPrep and run the .exe file just as you would in Windows. Best of all, it's free :-)
Re: GMATPrep (GMAT Prep) & PowerPrep (Power Prep) Free Tests   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2010, 14:08