Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gmat prep questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
gmat prep questions [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 07:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:20) correct 50% (01:53) wrong based on 2 sessions
gmat prep questions

Attachments

SC_10.jpg
SC_10.jpg [ 115.42 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]

SC_9.jpg
SC_9.jpg [ 142.56 KiB | Viewed 754 times ]

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 11:24
Guys , Please explain your choices. Will post OA after some more discussion..
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 11:32
Please also explain why the other ones are wrong according to you..?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 12:54
1)
D and E are wrong contruction of -ing participle.Now correct idioms in 'interact with' so we have A and C.C is awkard and so A.

2)
A) correct
B) no subject of 'quickly built'
C) sentence is awkard.clauses are not constructed correctly.
D)Subject is missing
E) clauses are not joined correctly to make complex sentence. Even though and but are redundant.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 11:07
Expert's post
Q 1:
The "cluster of tribes" contains more than 2 tribes, so you cannot use "between" (which is only used for quantities of 2). That ditches A and D.

For B, C, and E it comes down to an idiom issue--"interacted with," not "interacting among."

This question is sneaky of them, because they know that some test-takers will see a between/among split--yes, "among" is used for quantities of 3 rather than "between" but circumventing the choice altogether is also fine. The idiom takes precedence here.

C

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 151 [1] , given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Q 2:

"Even though" is incorrect here because the two clauses connected by that phrase must have a more specific type of relationship between them:

Ex: Even though I hate broccoli, I eat it because it's good for me.

The two clauses must imply a contradiction between them--think of "even though" as the equivalent of the phrase "despite the fact that." Because I hate broccoli, you would think that I don't eat it...but I do!

The fact that Galileo did not invent the telescope does not imply that he could not have quickly made his own later.

"But" is in a similar family of meaning, but has looser restrictions--
-I hate broccoli, but I eat it. (correct, and similar intent to "even though" example above)
-I hate broccoli, but I love carrots (also correct, but there is nothing about hating broccoli that implies I wouldn't love carrots..."but" has wider parameters)

That knocks off C, D, and E.

Notice that B uses the past perfect tense ("had not invented")-- we use the past perfect to show that an event in the past happened *before* another event in the past,. If that meaning is not clearly the intention, then do not use the past perfect. However, if we look closing at the verbs, the actual sequence of events is:

(1) the telescope was made
(2) Galileo built his own

We need the making of the optical instrument to be expressed in the past perfect! So B is out.

Answer is A.

Expert Post

Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 11:41
Expert's post
Q 2:

"Even though" is incorrect here because the two clauses connected by that phrase must have a more specific type of relationship between them:

The two clauses must imply a contradiction between them--think of "even though" as the equivalent of the phrase "despite the fact that." Because I hate broccoli, you would think that I don't eat it...but I do!

The fact that Galileo did not invent the telescope does not imply that he could not have quickly made his own later.

-I hate broccoli, but I eat it. (correct, and similar intent to "even though" example above)
-I hate broccoli, but I love carrots (also correct, but there is nothing about hating broccoli that implies I wouldn't love carrots..."but" has wider parameters)

Notice that B uses the past perfect tense ("had not invented")-- we use the past perfect to show that an event in the past happened *before* another event in the past,. If that meaning is not clearly the intention, then do not use the past perfect. However, if we look closing at the verbs, the actual sequence of events is:

We need the making of the optical instrument to be expressed in the past perfect! So B is out.

Answer is A.

Expert Post

Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 11:46
Expert's post
Q 2:

Answer is A.

Expert Post

Re: GMAT Prep Questions [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 11:55
Expert's post
Q 2:

Answer is A.

Re: GMAT Prep Questions   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2011, 11:55