Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 12:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT prep questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT prep questions [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2006, 10:41
I'm new to this site, and i happened upon it only a week before I took my first GMAT (this past weekend).

Anyhow, for the first GMAT I started studying in January, leaving over 3 months to study. Working a lot during the weekdays, I had trouble devoting enough time to studying. However, I used the Kaplan, Princeton Review, and Official Guide v.11 for test prep. One problem that I had was that by extending the test prep period out for nearly 3 months was NOT a good idea at all. I got super burned out, and hence my performance declined on practice tests. My practice tests ranged from 580 - 680, and I was pretty rattled about the whole experience.

On the GMAT this weekend I scored a 630, 80th percentile, and was at about the 70th percentile for both Quant. and Verbal. I quickly found out that my approach to the Quant was flawed in that I wasn't prepared for your easier Quant questions, and I lost focus on the test. The first 10 questions tripped me up, and in general I ran out of time, but definitely didn't leave any questions blank. Going into the verbal was more relaxing than the Quant., but as always I was not good at the Critical Reasoning questions.

Now I'd like to take the test again, but I need to reassess my strategy. Does anyone have recommendations? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Some comments/questions are as follows:
-I'm considering giving myself about 6 weeks of study for the next time around. I think i should take a week break or so just to clear my conscience.
-Any good source for practicing the Quant section? I sure need to look at the easier questions.
-I've seen people mentioning LSAT books to practice the Critical Reasoning questions. Any one in particular?

With summer time coming around, this whole studying thing is getting more and more difficult!

Appreciate the input
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT prep questions [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2006, 18:28
manhattanbrent wrote:
-I'm considering giving myself about 6 weeks of study for the next time around. I think i should take a week break or so just to clear my conscience.
-Any good source for practicing the Quant section? I sure need to look at the easier questions.
-I've seen people mentioning LSAT books to practice the Critical Reasoning questions. Any one in particular?

Hi manhattanbrent,

Personnally, I used 3 months to prepare myself because I had no problem with the "tiring/borring" aspect . I definitely advise you to take several weeks off now so that you can rest yourself mentally after this test :wink:
- for the quant section you should use the existing questions in this forum, check out older pages in the quant section and you will see that you have thousands of questions there. I had the same issue as you actually, I mean that when I took the test the first time I was able to solve combinations easily but I wasn't able to solve any geometry or working problems. Some people study probabilities like crazy but they eventually won't meet any of those questions because they can not answer correctly to a basic speed/distance question for example...to master the basics is the first rule here.
- for LSAT i am not sure, some people found it useful, other think that the scheme is different and that it is better to stick to the GMAt standard. You should be able to find collections of CR here, if you have doubts about the solutions, just post the question first and check the answers and the reasons given by the members. Good luck

Antoine
Re: GMAT prep questions   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2006, 18:28