Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Re-takes...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Prep Re-takes... [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 09:13
I took another GMATPrep today morning and found that there were quite a lot of repeats in both Quant and Verbal. It kinda put me off as the questions were the ones either posted by people on the board or from OG11. I am not sure how I should rate my score in terms of improvement.
Whats been the experience of other people? How do you rate your scores with repeat questions? Should I remove GMATPrep from my computer and re-install or just take the tests again without removal?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 11:22
Haas..the bottom line is once you have gone through the OG - GMATPrep becomes slanted towards your knowledge of the questions you have already seen.

I would still say it is the most accurate indicator out there and if you are scoring high on the retests you are most likely seeing newer questions, at least in the quant section. If you know you have seen a specific number of questions before then I would definitely discount your score. If you only saw one or two that you remembered I wouldnt be too worried.

There are 4 exams in the GMATPRep software. You dont need to uninstall to get them all. There are 2 test #1's and 2 test #2's. They each have a particular quant question they begin with - so to unlock them you just restart the test until the first question is different then the one you have already taken. This is easier then uninstalling the entire software and reinstalling.

I also recently wrote to Pearson and I found out there are currently no plans to update the software, the question files for the exams, or the official guide. I am not sure how true this is but it seems like they think the practice material thats out is good enough to get the job done, and for many it appears to be.

If I may ask, what scores have you been getting on your retests compared to your original tries? And what did you get on your first GMAT compared to your GMATPrep scores?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 12:57
Thanks Oasis for the input. I wasn't aware that the GMATPrep has 4 actual tests though the menu shows only two practice tests.
As for the number of repeats, I got something like 4-5 repeats quant + verbal combined.

My scores are :

PowerPrep1 710 Q49, V40
GMATPrep1 670 Q44, V38
GMATPrep2 690 Q48, V38
PowerPrep2 700 Q49, V38
CambPrep1 670 Q48, V38 (Cambridge Prep.. V is much tougher)
CambPrep2 690 Q48, V39 (Cambridge Prep.. V is much tougher)
PowerPrep3 730 Q44, V47

Actual GMAT is on 25th of Sept.

I took my first GMAT in '04... but after a 5 day prep (I was stupid...) got a 620. Yes, not the smartest move.. ...

I am not sure what my next steps should be... maybe take the MGMAT tests and then come back to GMATPrep in the last two weeks?

OasisNYK wrote:
Haas..the bottom line is once you have gone through the OG - GMATPrep becomes slanted towards your knowledge of the questions you have already seen.

I would still say it is the most accurate indicator out there and if you are scoring high on the retests you are most likely seeing newer questions, at least in the quant section. If you know you have seen a specific number of questions before then I would definitely discount your score. If you only saw one or two that you remembered I wouldnt be too worried.

There are 4 exams in the GMATPRep software. You dont need to uninstall to get them all. There are 2 test #1's and 2 test #2's. They each have a particular quant question they begin with - so to unlock them you just restart the test until the first question is different then the one you have already taken. This is easier then uninstalling the entire software and reinstalling.

I also recently wrote to Pearson and I found out there are currently no plans to update the software, the question files for the exams, or the official guide. I am not sure how true this is but it seems like they think the practice material thats out is good enough to get the job done, and for many it appears to be.

If I may ask, what scores have you been getting on your retests compared to your original tries? And what did you get on your first GMAT compared to your GMATPrep scores?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 13:34
I'm in the same boat....i'm taking the GMAT on 9/18, and i'm not sure if I should take the GMATPrep tests early on or wait until right before the test so I can get the most accurate representation.

I am finishing up OG 11 right now, so it sounds like my GMATPrep scores may be higher than they should be since it will repeat OG questions.

Anyone have a good strategy for this situation?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2006, 15:43
I thought it only had two tests also. How do you see the other tests?

Uninstalling and reinstalling might be worth a shot, but then you most likely will see the same questions again.

Do the Princeton Review tests also. They're the closest to the real thing after GMATPrep.
  [#permalink] 30 Aug 2006, 15:43