Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [58]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31898 [20]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [6]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its so [#permalink]
Kudos
unuk50 wrote:
The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its source, look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.

A. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.
B. to look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and then return.
C. to look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, then returning.
D. look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, and to return.
E. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, then returning.

This is an official question from Exam Pack 2.
Looking for responses to explain the right answer.

D) to follow....,to look....,to continue....,and to return

A) to (follow...,look....,continue....and,return)

both are // structures .

Why not D is the answer .

Is it the brevity ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
Send PM
Re: The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its so [#permalink]
chetan2u wrote:
unuk50 wrote:
The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its source, look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.

A. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return.
B. to look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and then return.
C. to look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, then returning.
D. look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, and to return.
E. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, then returning.

Hi,

the statement talks of four parallel events - follow, look , continue, and return...

so all the 4 should be parallel and similar..
It can be done in two ways-
1) to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return - which may not exactly suit here, since all the events follow a sequence as written,..
2) to follow..., look..., continue..., and return.. Correct..

Only A follows the parallelism correctly, while showing proper sequence of activities

I eliminated option A becaz I read somewhere that actions around AND are parallel, for eg. "reading And listening to music" <- this can be performed parallelly. Can we consider 'Return' here with other actions? If yes, is it becaz the context on the expedition plan and not the actual action?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Amit0507 wrote:
I eliminated option A becaz I read somewhere that actions around AND are parallel, for eg. "reading And listening to music" <- this can be performed parallelly. Can we consider 'Return' here with other actions? If yes, is it becaz the context on the expedition plan and not the actual action?

chetan has explained above that all the four are infinitives: to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return. So, they are parallel.

"to" is implied in the rest of the three.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
Send PM
sukanyar wrote:
Amit0507 wrote:

chetan has explained above that all the four are infinitives: to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return. So, they are parallel.

"to" is implied in the rest of the three.

Plz. read my qtn. I understand how & why thy are parallel. My qtn - can the actions (literally) be considered executed parallelly?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [4]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Prep SC [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
saurabhch wrote:

a. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and return
b. to look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and then return
c. to look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, then returning
d. look for easy water routes across the continent, to continue to the Pacific, and to return
e. look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, then returning

The Lewis and Clark expedition was to -

1. follow the Mississippi to its source,
2. look for easy water routes across the continent,
3. continue to the Pacific,
4. and return

A list is presented , answer will be (A)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Amit

Quote:
Plz. read my qtn. I understand how & why thy are parallel. My qtn - can the actions (literally) be considered executed parallelly?
\
Pl don't misread parallelism for simultaneity. When you say you want to do A, B, C, and D, you want to do them one after another. An action like ' return' will mean by reasoning that it is the last of the action. The application of sequence is an essential part of the logic of GMAT. After all one can't return before doing these things.

For example,

Ate and slept,
dreamt and danced,
joined the school and failed miserably etc
are all parallel, but can one do the actions of each of the pairs at the same?

Originally posted by daagh on 24 Jun 2017, 07:14.
Last edited by daagh on 25 Jun 2017, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Imo A
It correctly maintains parallelism.
E comes close but then returning plays spoilsport.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 329
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 4: 490 Q39 V18
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey GMATNinja aragonn chetan2u
How is B wrong with respect to meaning?

(B)to look for easy water routes across the continent, continue to the Pacific, and then return.

The way i see it -
The expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its source.
Why?
To - look for water routes, continue to the Pacific, and then return.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [2]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Kudos
blitzkriegxX - chetan and Marty Murray has answered your question in detail. This question can be solved just by look around parallel structure alone. 2nd choice is grammatically wrong. here a word of caution, you should not look meaning of every option, you will kill a lot of time. Best option is to analyze A for meaning and rest will be the variation of that. or remove all choices on grammar grounds and find meaning difference for rest of the choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunuel this is a Gmatprep question, can you add the tag? Thanks!
Attachments

GMAT Prep 6.JPG
GMAT Prep 6.JPG [ 81.63 KiB | Viewed 15548 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618868 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
nhatanh811 wrote:
Hi Bunuel this is a Gmatprep question, can you add the tag? Thanks!

Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
A has split iinfinitives. Will that work?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
The Lewis and Clark expedition was to follow the Mississippi to its so [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jim441 wrote:
A has split iinfinitives. Will that work?

Split infinitives are not strictly incorrect. In fact, many English language experts consider split infinitives OK. So, a correct version of a sentence in an SC question could include split infinitives.

That said, in the (A) version in this question, "was to" introduces each list element, and is understood to appear before "look," "continue," and "return."

In each case, nothing splits the understood to be present "to" from the list elements it's understood to precede. So, there aren't really split infinitives in the (A) version.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 17 Dec 2022, 22:07.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 18 Dec 2022, 07:43, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
unuk50 wrote:

Hi,

the statement talks of four parallel events - follow, look , continue, and return...

so all the 4 should be parallel and similar..
It can be done in two ways-
1) to follow..., to look...., to continue...., and to return - which may not exactly suit here, since all the events follow a sequence as written,..
2) to follow..., look..., continue..., and return.. Correct..

Only A follows the parallelism correctly, while showing proper sequence of activities

So if we need a list with exact sequence then we have to use it in the form mentioned by you in point 2. Otherwise if sequence doesn't matter than either of them can be used. Am I correct?

Thanks

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts