Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 04:14
My test is scheduled this 15Dec09.

Since 2 weeks ago I have been practicing with MGMAT's free practice test, GMAT Prep Version 1 and 2 (obtained from Gmatclub), PowerPrep (earlier version of GMAT Prep, obtained from Gmatclub as well), and a few other free practice tests.

I have been consistently scoring between 680 and 730. On average I encounter approx. 10-20% repeat questions.

I'm starting to fear that these repeat questions are giving me a false sense of confidence.

Did you guys had the same feeling towards the end of your preparation? How close was your prep scores vs your actual scores?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 397 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 04:36
How many times have you already attempted GMAT Prep tests. I think after 3-4 attempts you would start getting a good proportion of repeated questions. In case you feel you remember some of the answers in each attempt, then yes I would say your score would be slightly on the higher side.

Here are my scores, in case that helps you:
# GMATPrep - 1st Attempt
Test 1 : 680 (50Q, 32V)
Test 2 : 600 (47Q, 27V)

# GMATPrep - 2nd Attempt(1-2 questions repeated)
Test 1 : 700 (50Q, 34V)
Test 2 : 670 (48Q, 34V)

# GMATPrep - 3rd Attempt(10% questions repeated)
Test 1 : 710 (50Q, 38V)
Test 2 : 720 (50Q, 37V)
This is just 2 days before the actual test.

Actual test: 730 (50Q, 38V)

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
Repetition of practise questions is definitely going to create a false sense of confidence and pride. Remember, the Quant on the real deal is no where close to what you might have practised all along. There is no clear procedure to minimize as many surprises on the real deal. Verbal can quickly adapt and bombard you with questions exactly with those you wouldn't be comfortable with, like the method of reasoning, parallel reasoning, flaw in the reasoning and evaluate the argument type of questions on CR or really long and complicated sentence constructs in SC or RC. Even the best performance you can put on the real deal will get you in the range of +/- 40 from your best practise scores.

All you can do is to focus on your weaknesses. Both quant and verbal are equally important. Try to keep quant at above 48 and reach verbal above 40 and you'll achieve your dream score quite easily.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 19:19
I think you might break down your score between MGMAT and GMAT prep.
Then if you are scoring 45+ on quant (even on MGMAT which is more difficult than the actual gmat), you should be set. If you want further practice, try gmat club math tests. I have done 11 and they are real way to learn advanced concepts and tricks to solving difficult problems.
No idea on verbal on MGMAT vs GMAT.
ATMA wrote:
My test is scheduled this 15Dec09.

Since 2 weeks ago I have been practicing with MGMAT's free practice test, GMAT Prep Version 1 and 2 (obtained from Gmatclub), PowerPrep (earlier version of GMAT Prep, obtained from Gmatclub as well), and a few other free practice tests.

I have been consistently scoring between 680 and 730. On average I encounter approx. 10-20% repeat questions.

I'm starting to fear that these repeat questions are giving me a false sense of confidence.

Did you guys had the same feeling towards the end of your preparation? How close was your prep scores vs your actual scores?

-----------------------
tusharvk

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 19:24
My Gmat Prep scores (1st attempt) were very close to my actual gmat

GMAT Prep1 650
Gmat Prep2 640
Gmat Prep2 repeat 710 (about 10 questions repeated total)

Actual GMAT :650

I felt quant was at the same level as the GMATPrep but for me ,again for me the verbal seemed way tough on GMAT compared to GMATPrep.

Good luck...

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Intern
Intern
Schools: HEC, ESCP-EAP, IESE
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 15:28
Hello, I dont think Gmat prep scores really reflect the actual score if you know otherwise please enlighten me!
Isnt it that prep tests are all linear which cannot be a true simulation of the actual CAT test...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 16:13
Cynthiah wrote:
Hello, I dont think Gmat prep scores really reflect the actual score if you know otherwise please enlighten me!
Isnt it that prep tests are all linear which cannot be a true simulation of the actual CAT test...

on the contrary, the gmat preptest is thought to be the most accurate predictor of your actual score. not sure what you mean about the tests being linear though

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 02:31
shadowsjc wrote:
Cynthiah wrote:

on the contrary, the gmat preptest is thought to be the most accurate predictor of your actual score. not sure what you mean about the tests being linear though

I think she's under the misunderstanding that GMATPrep is a page out of a book, or a PDF, with GMAT questions from easiest to hardest.

Cynthiah, GMATPrep is a .exe file and it's essentially the exactly same GMAT exam that was issued to test-takers in 2005 and 2006. It replicates the exam experience almost to perfection; it simply has a different question bank and it does not calculate your percentage, as that requires statistical updates.
Re: Gmat prep score vs Actual score - False sense of confidence?   [#permalink] 23 May 2010, 02:31