Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 17:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
16 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 783 [16] , given: 82

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- Integrated Reasoning

After conducting tests on GMATPrep Quant and Verbal sections, I thought it would be interesting to see how the scoring in IR is affected by our responses. I conducted multiple tests on the IR section and some interesting results came out. The boring paart during the process was marking answer choices for the 78 quant and verbal questions. This section is not adaptive and has a set number of questions. The GMATPrep software does not allow you to go the previous questions and won't let you go to the next question if you do not mark the answer choices in the current question.

1) How many questions do you have to solve correctly to score a perfect 8 ?

Interestingly, if you correctly answered 10 questions or higher you will get an 8 on IR. 10, 11, 12 correct questions gave a result of 8. It was interesting to see that at one time 9 correct responses lead to a score of 8 and on another it resulted in a 7. I think it is probably because multi source reasoning questions may carry higher weight.

2) Is there is a partial credit for the multi-part questions ?

The answer is no; If out of three true/false questions or any other multi-part questions you get any one incorrect, then the whole question will be considered as incorrect.

3) How many questions does one has to score correctly to increase one's score by one unit ?

Answering 7 questions correctly gave scores 5 and 7. In my opinion we can safely conclude that every question carries a different weight. This fact also explains the observation in 2) above. Getting more correct in the longer multi source questions would result in a higher score. Answering 3, 4, 5 questions correctly lead to an increase of one unit score point. But, the barrier from a score of 5 to 7 could be more; this number can be 2 to 3 (correct questions).

Interestingly I also didn't see any a score of 6 in any of the test iterations that I conducted on GMATPrep; However, my actual score in IR was 6. Therefore, we can say that the scoring in GMATPrep is slightly different from the actual IR scoring. But this difference may not be a great one.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I'll be running a few more tests on this section.

Also check out the video in the post below by jumsumtak, nice explanation by MGMAT. The part on scoring comes after 28 minutes in the video.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
6 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 433 [6] , given: 447

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
I think this video (from manhattan) does a great job in explaining the scenarios: (The video also mentions MSRs have a higher weightage)

Attachments

File comment: Scoring chart from what-if scenarios
Picture1.png
Picture1.png [ 270.59 KiB | Viewed 9192 times ]

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 05:10
Hey Verculus,

Is there a extra penalty in IR if questions are left unanswered?

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 181

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
I read that the overall score of GMAT Preps varies from the actual test score with +/- 30 marks. How much does it normally vary on the level of a raw score (Q/V) ?

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 783 [1] , given: 82

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TheNona wrote:
I read that the overall score of GMAT Preps varies from the actual test score with +/- 30 marks. How much does it normally vary on the level of a raw score (Q/V) ?

Hi TheNona,

Again, it is extremely difficult to put a number for the variation in individual scores, but I guess it could be _+2 points. But, you should not get overly anxious about this fact and this should not deter your performance in any way. The margin of error means that with same skill level on one day you can score 660 and on another day 690. But, you can always try to maximize your performance and score well. You can take this fact in a positive way, if your current skill level is 650, you can score 680 on the actual test :-). So, just practice and relax. All the best!!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 12:04
Would IR scores be considered critical by schools from the next year?
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 447

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 21:29
DIGNIFIEDLIFE wrote:
Would IR scores be considered critical by schools from the next year?

There is no definite answer to that. It looks like schools will need at least 2-4 years more to assign a significant weightage to the IR score. Having said that, don't leave the IR prep. all together.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 22:32
hi buddies hw r u i am new here
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 11:56
hi.....i think you have to give 13 hours a day for preparing for g mat exam.....!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: YLP '15

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2013, 00:19
Hi I am selected for ylp of isb stage 1.for stage 2 I need to write GMAT and I don't have time only one moth I have what to do can anyone help me

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 09:59
Thank you for posting this! I've only studied for about a month and a half now, and I work full time so it's been tough. I get a 90% in the verbal diagnostic test, but I'm not sure if that's inflated or anything, is there anyone who has experienced the same problem? Please give me an advice of how the verbal diagnostic test from GMAT club is compared to the actual test. :( I'm thinking of signing up for a test next week but I'm not entirely confident I'd do good =___=
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 04:33
In case, one is short of time, should he/she leave(Read:Blind Guess) MSR questions? Usually there are 3 questions per prompt.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 21

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 18:54
Does the IR section works similar to quant and verbal section in terms of difficulty .i.e if we answer one question correctly, do we get the next question a bit more difficult one?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 07:51
Thanks a lot its an awesomely helpful video
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenario - IR   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2013, 07:51