Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 250

Kudos [?]: 887 [2] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:
Excellent stuff Vercules :-)
One thing that I needed to clarify
I read in some GMAC blog that RC/SC/CR are separately adaptive.
I am not entirely sure if I interpreted GMAC correctly but what I understood was that:
For example in the first 10 questions for example, if you answer all the SC questions correctly but all the CR questions incorrectly, the next SC question is going to be difficult but the CR question is going to be easier.
Do you think its right in the GMATPrep scene?

Hi Souvik,

In my experience, chances are higher to get a tougher CR question if you solved all the previous SC questions correctly.

Anyway you will not get 10 SC in a row, they will be distributed throughout. In the actual GMAT I didn't saw more than 4 SC questions in a row.

For a single RC there are multiple questions (6 to 8) in the question pool, but in the test they throw only 3-5; the question you see will be determined by your response to previous questions.

In my actual GMAT I got a very long and tough RC passage at the end of the test. Apparently, because the momentum from the previous questions would have been good. I scored V42 in that test, so I feel the number of questions I answered incorrectly would have been around 5 to 7.

I would say, one would be lucky if one starts the verbal section with an RC because that RC, for sure, would not be a super tough one.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 627

Kudos [?]: 2531 [0], given: 745

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:53
Expert's post
Vercules wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
I am not entirely sure if I interpreted GMAC correctly but what I understood was that:
For example in the first 10 questions for example, if you answer all the SC questions correctly but all the CR questions incorrectly, the next SC question is going to be difficult but the CR question is going to be easier.

Hi Souvik,

In my experience, chances are higher to get a tougher CR question if you solved all the previous SC questions correctly.

Anyway you will not get 10 SC in a row, they will be distributed throughout. In the actual GMAT I didn't saw more than 4 SC questions in a row.

For a single RC there are multiple questions (6 to 8) in the question pool, but in the test they throw only 3-5; the question you see will be determined by your response to previous questions.

In my actual GMAT I got a very long and tough RC passage at the end of the test. Apparently, because the momentum from the previous questions would have been good. I scored V42 in that test, so I feel the number of questions I answered incorrectly would have been around 5 to 7.

I would say, one would be lucky if one starts the verbal section with an RC because that RC, for sure, would not be a super tough one.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Yep I completely agree with you on the RC bit.
I think RC is pretty luck based. No matter how much you prepare for "social/business/philosophy" passages, stuffs that you dont like will be harder to comprehend and you never know what topic GMAT has in mind for you that day.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 14:22
Bunuel,

this is a very informative and insightful thread.

would you consider a guessing approach by topic to see if you can identify any patterns by topic

findings could be:

A was 39% more likely correct
B was 12%
C 25%
D 15%
E 9%

Although the what if scenario would by no means be something to base ones studies on however if faced with a certain topic instead of just blindly guessing the above could offer a plan B approach to guessing when needed
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 417 [1] , given: 243

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 19:21
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:

Hi Souvik,
From what I recollect , in one of the forum posts Ron had answered a similar question about RC. The individual question types are not separately adaptive (Just like you,I earlier thought that was the case). So for instance, say you are at question #30 SC & you are performing at 700+ level then your next question #31 CR/RC/SC will be of the same or higher difficulty level. How it works for RC? the QP1 and Gmat prep software have a collection of 5-6 RC questions per passage, you will face a easier question from the mix if you are not doing well(depending on your performance on the previous CR/SC questions) and vice versa. So indeed the RC/SC/CR are not separately adaptive.

HTH

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Sloan '15
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE: Architecture (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 22:10
This is truly amazing stuff. kudos Bunuel and Vercules.
I would like to know another 'what if scenario'. What if you get all questions of a particular type wrong e.g. what if you get all RC wrong in Verbal (I guess many aspirants would be eager to know this :) )
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3419

Kudos [?]: 25102 [0], given: 2702

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:10
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pikachu wrote:
Bunuel, this is a great study that some of us future test takers can possibly employ as a strategy especially if we are running low on time. Two thumbs up.

I was wondering if you had been using the same GMAT prep software on the same PC when you tested all the scenarios and how repetitive the questions were. Due to the limited question pool on the prep software it would be interesting to know how it affected the final scores. BTW what was the version of the software you tested.

Yes, I was using the same GMAT Prep software on the same PC. I downloaded the last version of the software (2.1.294) from mba.com.

Each time I was reseting the pool, so I was getting the same questions over and over.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:11
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 25102 [1] , given: 2702

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
soumens wrote:
Awesome initiative!! The use of crystal clear language unties all knots.

Eagerly waiting for the Verbal What-if scenarios... :)

Just a quick Q, does GMATPrep simulate experimental questions in the same way as the test???

I think you might have even conducted multiple cycles of the same scenario. Was there no difference in the end scores?

Because I guess only experimental questions can introduce an error margin and it would be great to quantify that if possible... :-D

Thanks to all... :-D

Important Clarification: we have a strong reason to believe that even though GMAT Prep is the closest algorithm to the GMAT, it is most likely NOT identical. Some of these scenarios may result into a different outcome when attempted on the real test. We so far have no reports to confirm or dismiss these results based on the test day experience.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:16
Expert's post
jsphcal wrote:
Bunuel,

this is a very informative and insightful thread.

would you consider a guessing approach by topic to see if you can identify any patterns by topic

findings could be:

A was 39% more likely correct
B was 12%
C 25%
D 15%
E 9%

Although the what if scenario would by no means be something to base ones studies on however if faced with a certain topic instead of just blindly guessing the above could offer a plan B approach to guessing when needed

As I noticed the correct answers are almost equally distributed between A, B, C, D, and E.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 627

Kudos [?]: 2531 [2] , given: 745

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 00:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
soumens wrote:
Awesome initiative!! The use of crystal clear language unties all knots.

Eagerly waiting for the Verbal What-if scenarios... :)

Just a quick Q, does GMATPrep simulate experimental questions in the same way as the test???

I think you might have even conducted multiple cycles of the same scenario. Was there no difference in the end scores?

Because I guess only experimental questions can introduce an error margin and it would be great to quantify that if possible... :-D

Thanks to all... :-D

Important Clarification: we have a strong reason to believe that even though GMAT Prep is the closest algorithm to the GMAT, it is most likely NOT identical. Some of these scenarios may result into a different outcome when attempted on the real test. We so far have no reports to confirm or dismiss these results based on the test day experience.

Yeah I think one of the reasons could be that GMATPrep does not contain experimental questions as GMAT does.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 06:50
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 273

Kudos [?]: 2320 [1] , given: 693

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 11:05
carcass wrote:
I think that someone at mba.com has read this thread :)

http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/prepare-for ... -that.aspx

I believe the analysis of gmat prep is good enough. I am not sure if this can be replicated on the D day. The question pool will be bigger there.

Moreover, its a risk! Strategies like guessing we do use.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 17

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Just wanted to add that GMAC has since confirmed that the adaptivity is by the SECTION, not the question type:

Just went through this link:

http://officialgmat.mba.com/2012/12/11/ ... questions/

Hence, the verbal section itself is adaptive, not the individual question types like RC, CR or SC.

So we will never reach harder CR questions if we screw up big time in SC or RC. :|
Expert Post
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 82

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 23:23
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 887 [1] , given: 82

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 10:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Added Scenario 7 to Verbal

Testing Scenario 7:

7 EQUALLY SPACED questions incorrect with a gap of 5 correct questions in-between. Therefore, the incorrect questions are 1, 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, 41, the rest are correct.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Expert Post
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 82

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 11:46
Expert's post
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 23:58
Thanks Brunnel.. its an amazing post..
what would the result be for 3-4 questions wrong per every 10 questions ?
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Followers: 273

Kudos [?]: 2320 [3] , given: 693

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 14:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8407 [3] , given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
GMAC Continues to emphasize that the first 10 questions are not important.... which I think is a very absolute statement which does not appear so absolute based on our observations.
http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/prepare-for ... -that.aspx

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2013, 11:59