Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1500 [0], given: 609

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:03
Expert's post
what are you talking about ?? If I can

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 65

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:07
carcass wrote:

Hi Carcass...
took time to understand what are you referring to ....i checked few of my earlier..than figured out......i was referring to the links of rc passages which i got in my gmat prep.....
Actually i cannot recall.....what were the last two passages..

Hope its clear now....

Archit

consider kudos if my post helped!!!!!!!
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 1500 [0], given: 609

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:26
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
carcass wrote:

Hi Carcass...
took time to understand what are you referring to ....i checked few of my earlier..than figured out......i was referring to the links of rc passages which i got in my gmat prep.....
Actually i cannot recall.....what were the last two passages..

Hope its clear now....

Archit

consider kudos if my post helped!!!!!!!

ohhhhhh I see

Not really tough passages...........but under pressure is different. for this reason this exam is particular

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

VP
VP

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 13:49
True not tough but i got those one after the other.....thats the twist...in first 10 itself.

Archit
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 08:35
Excellent job guys!!
Consider the following scenario-
What about(for verbal) 1st 10 correct, 2 continuous mistakes in 11-20, 21-30, and 31-41 ?
AND
1st 10 correct, 2 continuous mistakes and 1 random mistake in each of 11-20, 21-30, 31-41 ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 08:52
Hi guys,

So can I stick to the following strategy of time allocation per question?

I am mainly worried about the verbal part.

Q1-10 = 22-23 mins
Q11-20 = 21-22 mins
Q21-30 =17-19 mins
Q31-41 = remaining mins

I am assuming that as the questions progress, the importance decreases.

Also, in case of dire consequences, it is advisable to guess on the last RC passage and focus on other questions ?

Thanks again for the brutal analysis.
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 226

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 09:14
Expert's post
soumens wrote:
Hi guys,

Q1-10 = 22-23 mins
Q11-20 = 21-22 mins
Q21-30 =17-19 mins
Q31-41 = remaining mins

Also, in case of dire consequences, it is advisable to guess on the last RC passage and focus on other questions ?

Hi soumens,

The initial questions though important for your overall score do not deserve a higher time allocation because they are comparatively easier ones. So, you have to make sure to answer easy questions correctly in a timely manner. The questions in the later part of the test will be more difficult and specially the ones at the end. Form the table that you have mentioned the questions in the end will get around 15 minutes, which I think are less. And yes in very bad situations you may skip the last passage as the passages in general take a longer time to attempt correctly.

You may refer to the gmat pacer from the below link:

verbal-chat-this-wednesday-feb-13th-9-a-m-pst-147125.html#p1181996

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 07:54
souvik101990 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Important Clarification: we have a strong reason to believe that even though GMAT Prep is the closest algorithm to the GMAT, it is most likely NOT identical. Some of these scenarios may result into a different outcome when attempted on the real test. We so far have no reports to confirm or dismiss these results based on the test day experience.

Yeah I think one of the reasons could be that GMATPrep does not contain experimental questions as GMAT does.

I was told by GMAC that the GMATPrep software uses "the same number of questions as the exam when calculating [the] score" - this might add an element of randomness to the analysis.

Has anyone tested the effect of leaving questions blank? How much does it impact your score? Does it impact your score more than it does it you got them wrong instead?
Current Student

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 08:04
Expert's post
mmagyar wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Important Clarification: we have a strong reason to believe that even though GMAT Prep is the closest algorithm to the GMAT, it is most likely NOT identical. Some of these scenarios may result into a different outcome when attempted on the real test. We so far have no reports to confirm or dismiss these results based on the test day experience.

Yeah I think one of the reasons could be that GMATPrep does not contain experimental questions as GMAT does.

I was told by GMAC that the GMATPrep software uses "the same number of questions as the exam when calculating [the] score" - this might add an element of randomness to the analysis.

Has anyone tested the effect of leaving questions blank? How much does it impact your score? Does it impact your score more than it does it you got them wrong instead?

Hi mmagyar,

In GMAT the only questions that you can leave blank are the ones at the end of the test. Well, leaving the questions blank in the end would damage your score more than what getting them wrong would. But, I think it is a good idea to conduct one test to determine by how much the score will be affected.

Vercules

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2013, 08:43
Vercules wrote:

Vercules

Vercules,

Thanks for pointing me out the gmat pacer mate.
VP
VP

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 09:42
Vercules wrote:
soumens wrote:
Hi guys,

Q1-10 = 22-23 mins
Q11-20 = 21-22 mins
Q21-30 =17-19 mins
Q31-41 = remaining mins

Hi soumens,

The initial questions though important for your overall score do not deserve a higher time allocation because they are comparatively easier ones. So, you have to make sure to answer easy questions correctly in a timely manner. The questions in the later part of the test will be more difficult and specially the ones at the end. Form the table that you have mentioned the questions in the end will get around 15 minutes, which I think are less. And yes in very bad situations you may skip the last passage as the passages in general take a longer time to attempt correctly.

Vercules

Hi vercules
I may sound silly ...but i hav a doubt...
I know that test centre ppl give only one note book for rough work.......where should i write the timing of the pacer ...I have been practising by writing it in a paper and keeping infront of the desktop...do the test center ppl will give 2 notebooks for rough work intially....i do not think so

what is the soln to this

Archit
Current Student

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2013, 10:50
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
Vercules wrote:
soumens wrote:
Hi guys,

Q1-10 = 22-23 mins
Q11-20 = 21-22 mins
Q21-30 =17-19 mins
Q31-41 = remaining mins

Hi soumens,

Vercules

Hi vercules
I may sound silly ...but i hav a doubt...
I know that test centre ppl give only one note book for rough work.......where should i write the timing of the pacer ...I have been practising by writing it in a paper and keeping infront of the desktop...do the test center ppl will give 2 notebooks for rough work intially....i do not think so

what is the soln to this

Archit

Hi Archit,

No, you are not sounding silly at all; it is a justified question.

The invigilator will not give you two rough pads. Moreover, if you are done with one, they will replace it with a new one.

One solution is to write down the benchmarks again on the second rough pad. But, if you develop a time sense through your practice, then that would be the most effective way to keep track of time.

I practiced these two for my GMAT:

i) 1 minute sense for individual questions.
ii) Sense of time for the equal time intervals.

By practice you can develop this.

Do go through this awesome a article by Stacy Koprince from MGMAT.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... anagement/

She has very beautifully described how to develop this 1 minute time sense and other points to keep in mind to manage time during GMAT.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

VP
VP

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 04:10
Hey
For only quants we need an extra rough pad...that too towards the end ie last 10 questions remaining..so there may be it is an issue ....
but for verbal i do not think it is as it is rare to ask for another rough pad...i messed up my last gmat only because of timing and do not want this to be messed up because of timing........
lets see what turns what on the test day.

Archit
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: Foster '15 (S)
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 16:15
Bunuel wrote:

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios

We will try to run different scenarios with GMAT Prep Software to find out whether various myth about scoring algorithm are legit.

Reports from the Real GMAT:

Added a few points to my verbal score: 600-to-740-all-about-timing-and-fundamentals-147029.html

1. What is the importance of the first 10 questions?

Experiment: We will try to disprove the myth the way OG/GMAC positions it: the first 10 questions are not critical
Methodology: we will attempt the worst case scenario and will answer the first 10 questions incorrectly (not guess but incorrectly); then we will attempt to answer the first 27 questions correctly and then the last 10 incorrectly (not guess)
Results: Q38 (48th percentile - ouch) with only 10 wrong answers
Analysis: obviously something is not right with the myth about the first 10 questions. They appear to be very important on the Quant. If you miss the first 10 (probably not a very realistic scenario for most) you have no way of climbing out of the hole - almost all questions that were offered to me were generally easy/medium difficulty. Let's try a different scenario next to check this myth (we'll miss the last 10 questions). Also interesting to note, when simulated in the previous GMAT Prep version, this scenario resulted in Q41 (so there have been changes in the scoring algorithms of the GMAT Prep).
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "E" and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1st percentile. Total score: 380 - 10th percentile
Questions: 20PS and 17 DS. Also, see what question topics were encountered in this scenario:

2. What is the importance of the last 10 questions?

Experiment: We will try to analyze the importance of the last 10 questions and if it equals the important of the first 10
Methodology: we will attempt the worst case scenario and will answer the first 27 Q questions correctly and then will answer the remaining 10 questions incorrectly (not guess but incorrectly).
Results: Q50, 92nd percentile - Nicely done though not great. I think it is possible to get Q51 with 10 incorrect ones.
Analysis: The questions were much harder this time with some new topics/types appearing on the test such as coordinate geometry DS. Conclusion: the last 10 don't count as much as the first 10. This myth is True (as long as you can get the first 27 right). Please note that I have not guessed the last 10 but rather answered them incorrectly (which means I still had to solve those questions too). If you are guessing, you will most likely get a higher score.
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "E" (again) and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1st percentile. Total score: 470 (90 points higher than when we missed the first 10 questions)
Questions: 20PS and 17 DS. Also, see what question topics were encountered in this scenario:

3. What is the importance of the middle 10 questions?

Experiment: We will try to analyze the importance of the middle 10 questions and see how it compares to the results of the previous 2 experiments
Methodology: we will attempt the worst case scenario and will answer the first 14 Q questions correctly; then I will answer incorrectly the following 10 questions, and will answer the remaining 13 questions correctly.
Results: Q49, 85th percentile - not as good of a result as in the case of missing the last 10 questions but it was much less effort (fewer hard questions than in the second case)
Analysis: The questions were not much easier than in the second scenario above even though I have made 10 consecutive mistakes. So, it may be a slightly better value in terms of effort/score but not by far
Total Score: every question in the verbal section was answered as "D" this time and it resulted in the final score of V6, 1st percentile. (Interestingly enough, it was a slightly worse result than "E"). Total score: 450

4. What is the penalty if I miss every third question?

Experiment: I will try to test a scenario in which a test takers answers every third question incorrectly (e.g. 3, 6, 9, etc. Thus giving themselves an extra 2 mins on quant). This scenario will simulate someone who takes 3 mins instead of 2 per question and then guesses every third question. Please note that this is the worst case scenario (we do not get any guesses right)
Methodology: Every 3rd questions answered incorrectly. So, 13 incorrect and 24 correct answers.
Results: Q49, 85th percentile
Analysis: Slightly lower score than in the case of missing the last 10 questions but it was much less effort in getting here(fewer hard questions than in the second or third scenarios I have tested). So far this is the best value in terms of effort/final score
Total Score: This time every question in the verbal section was answered as "C" this time and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1st percentile. Total score: 460, 23rd percentile.

5. Best Guessing Strategy: Part I - What if we guess a bunch of questions in the middle?

Experiment: I will attempt 3 different scenarios that will examine guessing strategies to figure out where the time should be invested.
Methodology: First 10 questions answered correctly, then GUESSED the next 17 questions (answered C to all of them and got 4 out of 17 correct) and finally answered the remaining 10 questions correctly.
Results: Q46, 73rd percentile.
Analysis: This is a pretty similar to the scenario above where we tried to figure out the importance of the middle 10 questions; missing 3 more (13 wrong vs 10 wrong) resulted in a lower score by 3 points (46 vs. 49).
Total Score: Every question in the verbal section was answered as "B" this time and it resulted in the final score of V6, 0 percentile. Total score: 420, 16th percentile.
Questions: 21PS and 16 DS.

6. Best Guessing Strategy: Part II - guess every third question

Experiment: I will try to test a scenario in which a test takers GUESSES every other question (e.g. 2, 4, 6, etc). I was answering C to all even numbered question and guessed correctly 3 out of 18
Results: Q40, 55th percentile. (22 correct answers and 15 incorrect answers, I guessed 3 questions correctly.)
Analysis: Not sure what I was expecting guessing every other question. I guess I got the 55th percentile (half the ultimate score but I also only invested half the effort and gottend double the time to answer my other questions). So far, I don' think this is the best strategy in terms of guessing since my goal would be to get the most return for the least amount of effort. However, I do think this score is too low to be seriously considered by anyone.
Total Score: Every question in the verbal section was answered as "A" this time and it resulted in the final score of V6, 0 percentile. Total score: 380, 10th percentile.

7. Best Guessing Strategy Part III - Variable Guessing

Experiment: first 10 questions answered correctly, GUESSED the next 9 questions (answered C to all of them, guessed 2 out of 9), then answered the next 9 questions correctly and finally GUESSED the remaining 9 questions (answered C to all of them, guessed 2 out of 9). So, 23 correct, 14 incorrect.
Results: Q49, 85th percentile. (23 correct answers and 14 incorrect answers, I guessed 3 questions correctly.)
Analysis: I was amazed to see Q49 as my final score. So far I think this is the best guessing strategy. It has resulted into the highest score (49) with 14 incorrect answers (compare that to scenario #5 above where I guessed the 17 middle questions and gotten 4 of them correct. I made 13 mistakes mistakes on that test but the final score was only 46. In this scenario I still only solved half the questions (guessed the other half). However, that's pretty darn good for solving only half the questions.
Total Score: Every question in the verbal section was answered as "E" and it resulted in the final score of V9, 2 percentile. Total score: 470, 26th percentile.

8. PS vs DS: what is the importance of DS questions?

Experiment: first 10 questions answered correctly. After that, I answered incorrectly to 12 DS questions only. So, 25 correct and 12 incorrect answers (all DS).
Results: Q50, 92th percentile.
Analysis:
Total Score: Every question in the verbal section was answered as "E" and it resulted in the final score of V8, 1 percentile. Total score: 470, 26th percentile.

9. PS vs DS: what is the importance of PS questions?

Experiment: first 10 questions answered correctly. After that, I answered incorrectly to 12 PS questions only. So, 25 correct and 12 incorrect answers (all PS).
Results: Q49, 85th percentile.
Analysis:
Total Score: Every question in the verbal section was answered as "E" and it resulted in the final score of V11, 3rd percentile. Total score: 490, 31st percentile.

Do you have any questions or ideas what you would like to try?
I will be running a few more scenarios - feel free to suggest what other scenarios would be interesting to test. Thank you!

Important Clarification: we have a strong reason to believe that even though GMAT Prep is the closest algorithm to the GMAT, it is most likely not identical. Some of these scenarios may result into a different outcome when attempted on the real test. We so far have no reports to confirm or dismiss these results based on the test day experience.

-
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
myth.gif

bunuel, how about answering all DS questions incorrectly irrelevant of where they show up on the test. how does that affect the score on Quant.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 12:20
pikachu wrote:
bunuel, how about answering all DS questions incorrectly irrelevant of where they show up on the test. how does that affect the score on Quant.

The verbal score is not affected differently by question type, so I would think that the same holds true for the quantitative. Whether the question is DS or PS is not likely to affect the score. Only location, difficulty, and correct/incorrect matter, and question type probably does not change the difficulty.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 43

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 02:36
Ok here I go, I hope this doesn't get taken down due to being a childish quesiton but:

about CR placement and its affect on score? Most of my wrong in the Verbal Section are CR and they seem pretty darn insignificant. I am still hitting mid 80s percentile in verbal while getting the majority of CR questions wrong

I'm also confused on how to devise a pacing strategy for verbal as I had done with Math by the correctness/guessing based on the number of question.

and I give me corresponding 15minutes OR 8 questions for quant a couple of minutes plus or minus depending on wher ethey fall into that general pace.

For verbal as of now I mentally just give earlier questions some extra time and pace myself through the rest. It seems like verbal is much less rigid when it comes to results and pacing.
How would I devise a pacing strategy for verbal then since, from what I understand, the placement of the SC/RC is random and more important is what comes first?

We appreciate your kudos'

Manager
Manager
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 79

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 07:25
Manimgoindowndown, I don't think it's true that CR is insignificant at all, and it's not weighted any differently than the other two verbal question types. If you're doing well on SC and RC, then it's certainly possible to get into the high 30s while having some serious CR deficiencies. But it's not because CR is insignificant--it's just because your overall, combined verbal level merits that score.

And hey, if you're able to score around the 85th percentile with some CR weaknesses, imagine what you could do if you improved your CR skills!

I don't think that pacing benchmarks are usually very helpful on the verbal section. This might sound really obvious, but most verbal mistakes happen because you misread or misinterpreted something, for one reason or another. A very tiny lapse in focus can cause you to miss a question, and that's a (presumably deliberate) design feature of GMAT verbal questions.

I think that benchmarking can actually cause you to make more of those small reading errors on the GMAT. On CR and RC questions, a huge proportion of your time will be spent reading and digesting the passage. You can't really do much to accelerate that process, unless you're willing to sacrifice accuracy. And the same is true when you start looking through the answer choices--what are you going to do, skim them to save time? That doesn't make much sense--if you're not reading carefully, you're extremely likely to miss the question, and you'll only save yourself 10-20 seconds in the process, since the bulk of your time is inevitably spent reading the passage, anyway.

So I just don't see the benefit of benchmarking for most people. If you hurry on verbal questions so that you have time to answer question #41, you'll probably screw yourself out of at least one question early in the test, and that's a crappy tradeoff. If you miss an easy question early, it will change the trajectory of the entire test, and your score will be disproportionately damaged. If you kick butt on questions #1-38, then questions #39-41 won't matter all that much.

I know that I'm in the minority on this, but I think you're better off answering questions thoroughly, methodically, and consistently throughout the verbal section. Don't cheat yourself out of a right answer early in the section just to hit some timing benchmarks.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 18:31
Bunuel and Vercules,
My exam's on 14th..

Here's my finding of my experiment:

By not starting to throw away questions in quant and verbal until Q 20, I was able to increase my Q and V sub scores by 1-2-3 points. By throwing away questions, I mean not spending any time on the question and simply choosing an answer to get back on track.

I was not able to answer every question correctly in first 20 but accuracy was pretty high.

Earlier, I would check the clock after 10th Q and try to get back on track by throwing away.

Now by changing the strategy of not throwing away until 20th Question, I have been able to slightly improve my score.

I can't take the risk of not checking the timer until 30th or 35th Question in Verbal and Quant because I wouldn't be absolutely sure that I have answered all questions till then correctly. So throwing away after 30th or 35th Question will lead to consecutive mistakes and also increase anxiety which may affect score harshly.

The strategies tested by you were done with getting correct all the questions you did not guess.

So, I would request you guys to test this following realistic scenario and confirm if I am on right track and this strategy can be followed by others.

Quant:

Q 1-7 Correct
8-9 Incorrect
10-16 correct
17-incorrect
19 correct
20 correct
Now at this point, assuming that I am behind track by 6 mins and I have to throwaway 3.
21 correct
22 throwaway : incorrect
23-25 correct
26-throwaway: incorrect
27-28 correct
29-throwaway in correct
30: incorrect
31: incorrect
32-34-correct
35-incorrect
36-37 correct

For verbal, above + the following
38-40-correct
41-incorrect

Please also test similar realistic scenarios with not throwing away until first 25 questions ( throwing away starts after 25th Question because you are behind track by 10 mins : 5 questions )

Gettting First 20 questions right would boost your score by 30-40 points overall I believe. Please confirm this understanding. My exam's on 14th..
Thanks a ton for all the help, Bunuel, bb, Vercules, forum mods and fellow members!

Regards,
Sachin

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 561

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 18:36
GMATNinja wrote:
Manimgoindowndown, I don't think it's true that CR is insignificant at all, and it's not weighted any differently than the other two verbal question types. If you're doing well on SC and RC, then it's certainly possible to get into the high 30s while having some serious CR deficiencies. But it's not because CR is insignificant--it's just because your overall, combined verbal level merits that score.

And hey, if you're able to score around the 85th percentile with some CR weaknesses, imagine what you could do if you improved your CR skills!

I don't think that pacing benchmarks are usually very helpful on the verbal section. This might sound really obvious, but most verbal mistakes happen because you misread or misinterpreted something, for one reason or another. A very tiny lapse in focus can cause you to miss a question, and that's a (presumably deliberate) design feature of GMAT verbal questions.

I think that benchmarking can actually cause you to make more of those small reading errors on the GMAT. On CR and RC questions, a huge proportion of your time will be spent reading and digesting the passage. You can't really do much to accelerate that process, unless you're willing to sacrifice accuracy. And the same is true when you start looking through the answer choices--what are you going to do, skim them to save time? That doesn't make much sense--if you're not reading carefully, you're extremely likely to miss the question, and you'll only save yourself 10-20 seconds in the process, since the bulk of your time is inevitably spent reading the passage, anyway.

So I just don't see the benefit of benchmarking for most people. If you hurry on verbal questions so that you have time to answer question #41, you'll probably screw yourself out of at least one question early in the test, and that's a crappy tradeoff. If you miss an easy question early, it will change the trajectory of the entire test, and your score will be disproportionately damaged. If you kick butt on questions #1-38, then questions #39-41 won't matter all that much.

I know that I'm in the minority on this, but I think you're better off answering questions thoroughly, methodically, and consistently throughout the verbal section. Don't cheat yourself out of a right answer early in the section just to hit some timing benchmarks.

Thanks a lot Charles for your reply here.
Say accuracy is around 70-80% till 30th Question on Quant and 80% till 35th Qs on Verbal having answered easy questions correctly and having entered the 700 level. will missing the remaining questions harm?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Current Student

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 23:27
Expert's post
Hey Yall,

Added results from another testing scenario.

11) What if you marked the last answer choice, but did not click submit and confirm, and the allotted time for the section gets over?

Vercules

Re: GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2013, 23:27