Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 07 Jul 2015, 16:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 05:50
Hi ! Wanna know which one is more affordable: GMAT prep software or simulations on veritas prep?
Because in the first i got a 490 and in the second i use to be on a range that goes between 580-620.
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 10:28
I used both the GMATPrep Software as well as Veritas Prep for my studying and found the questions on Veritas to be a little bit more difficult than some on GMATPrep. But, with that said, I think the Veritas tests are a great tool and will help you learn from your mistakes and score higher over time.

Since nobody actually knows the GMAC algorithm for scoring, all of the tests you take will NOT be perfect representations. However, people tend to think of the GMATPrep as the "most accurate" since it is developed by GMAC and likely contains the most similar algorithm to what it on the actual exam.

In terms of price, I believe the Veritas exams are $49 for 6 exams (free if you sign up for a class with them) and GMATPrep gives you 2 exams free with the software and then you can buy 2 additional exams for $50. I think both are a wise investment assuming you have the time to take practice exams.

If you are just starting your studying, I wouldn't look too much into the scores. Try to focus on areas that you are weak in and make sure you master the concepts (learning from your mistakes is the most important part of GMAT studying) and make sure that you make each test as realistic as possible (e.g. full length exam with AWA and IR sections). This way when you go to the test center on test day you will have the stamina to sit there for 4 hours straight.

My GMAT Story: 710 to 760

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 10:44
Thank you so much. I asked because I found impossible that i answered to a 55% (of correct answers) but the GMAT software indicated me a percentile of 17% and it sounds really strange i think. So much difference between each other value.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: AS - Gold, UA - Silver, HH-Diamond
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2735

Kudos [?]: 13610 [0], given: 3866

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 11:04
Expert's post
pao1093 wrote:
Thank you so much. I asked because I found impossible that i answered to a 55% (of correct answers) but the GMAT software indicated me a percentile of 17% and it sounds really strange i think. So much difference between each other value.

The GMAT does not have a direct correlation between the number of questions you have answered correctly and the final score. The correlation is much stronger between the number of difficult questions answered correctly and your final score. Hope this helps (though I think it confuses most people) - that's how it works.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 11:06
pao1093 wrote:

That does seem a bit low but remember that the exam is adaptive to your ability. So if you get a bunch right, you will get harder questions. But if you get a bunch wrong, you get easier questions.

You may have missed some questions and then have fluctuated within a range around the 17th percentile as you got certain ones correct and incorrect. No exam is a perfect science since we don't actually know the algorithm, but the best way to improve is to review your entire exam after completing it. There is something to be learned from every single question you do. If you understand the key aspects they test it will only make you better off for the future.

My GMAT Story: 710 to 760

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 757 [0], given: 49

Re: GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2015, 17:10
Expert's post
Hi pao1093,

You've brought up a number of important ideas/questions in these posts, so I'm going to answer them in order:

1) There are plenty of options when it comes to studying for the GMAT (and there's quite a "range" in the price of the various options). Instead of simply choosing the "most affordable" option, you should consider this whole process as an 'investment' in your future. Spending a bit more money now could lead to a much bigger payoff later (scholarships, an invitation to a better School, a higher-paying career, etc.). Beyond the price of any resource, there's also the question of whether that resource matches your personality and timeline. If a resource doesn't help you to improve (and hit your score goals), or you find it difficult to use, then it doesn't matter what it costs.

2) The percentile that you'll score on each section of the GMAT is based on how YOUR performance compares to THAT of other Test Takers. Using the numbers that you provided, you got about 55% of the questions correct, but relative to EVERYONE ELSE who took the CAT, you were at the 17th percentile (which means that 83% of Test Takers scored at, or above, your level). Percentiles can be dubious, from a statistical standpoint, which is why the SCALED SCORES are the ones that you should really be paying attention to.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Official Guide 2016 Question Breakdown:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/empowergmat-blog-198415.html#p1527977

Rich Cohen
Rich.C@empowergmat.com
http://www.empowergmat.com

GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

EMPOWERgmat Podcast - A Wild Secret About The GMAT Algorithm

Re: GMAT Prep Software vs VERITAS PREP practice tests   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2015, 17:10