Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Boston cares
Schools: Sloan MIT , Harvard
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 17:15
Hi Everybody,

Although this is my first post here, I have been following GMAT club for a while, I appreciate one and all for their contributions.

I am here seeking some advice.I have a bit of GMAT experience, took it twice in past 6 months.

Dec 09 - 610 -- Don't remember the breakdown

Feb 10 - 640 (Q47,V32)

I applied to one top 10ish schools with that lousy score and got rejected :cry: I was expecting a ding, but not so quickly though :evil: . Anyways, I plan on applying for Fall 2011.

I have strated my Prep again, planning to take the GMAT around second week of June so that I can give it another shot before round1 deadlines, not to be pessimistic but just being cautious about the app deadlines around October.

Just like any other time, this time I want to score 750+.

Verbal ---I want, I would say need, a disciplined approach for verbal section, I have all the books ( I have taken MGMAT course) and study material but dont know where to start this time. My RC sucks, so does my SC. CR is alright. Was anybody on the same boat as I am, if yes, could you please share your experience or strategy ?

Quant --- I am comfortable with Quant, but would love to see my score near or above 50. I need to work on Absolute Numbers, Co-ordinate Geometry, Probability, Combinatorics. Can anybody think of good resource for challenging problems ( including data sufficiency) from those topics ?

Thanks for your help in advance. By the way, I live in Boston,MA-- If anybody is looking for study group, I can do most of the weeknights and weekends.

TP
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 18:09
"My RC sucks" - I think you have a friend here ( and a lot more who might be reading this post).

The only book i can suggest for RC is the PowerScore LSAT RC Bible.. The tough passages in GMAT are of LAST standard and this book really makes you read and digest a passage (structurally). Since you have got some time before the test, it's a good time to get this book and revisit RC strategy. I have not seen the MGMAT RC Strategy Guide, but i am sure nothing can beat PowerSocre Bible.

MGMAT SC strategy booklet is the best in the market. But you can solve the SCs in GmatClub forums for practice. Make sure to read (and reread ) all Sc questions in OG 11 or 12 .

For Quants i did due diligence from the MGMAT Mock CATs and that did fetch me a 51. I will suggest you to get your hands on the GMATClub tests, they are the best practice material you can get .

Hope this post helps.
Prabir
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 18:23
Prabir,

Thanks,thats really helpful information. I will get the Powerscore Bible for RC. Even for SC, I am planning to start from basics again. I think I will stick to the MGMAT SC book.

For quant -- I will try GMAT Club tests. But can you think of good resource for problems in my problematic topics such as Absolute numbers, co-ordinate geometry, Probability & Combinatorics.

TP
Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 18:38
tpemmasani wrote:
For quant -- I will try GMAT Club tests. But can you think of good resource for problems in my problematic topics such as Absolute numbers, co-ordinate geometry, Probability & Combinatorics.
TP

Not at the top of my head now.. but i'll message you as soon as i find some good material.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern | Tepper | IESE | CEIBS | Anywhere that takes me!

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 17:48
I'm new to this as well. Curious as to the groups thoughts on studying Verbal and Math in conjunction, or independently? My fear is that after a month of inactivity, I ll lose everything I had learned.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 08:00
ekinwang wrote:
I'm new to this as well. Curious as to the groups thoughts on studying Verbal and Math in conjunction, or independently? My fear is that after a month of inactivity, I ll lose everything I had learned.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Hi ekinwang,

I prefer studing one thing at a time (just RC or just CR) , but you can definitely do mix bags (CR+SC+RC = Bag V and PS+DS= Bag Q), after you are comfortable in all each individual sections. But keep Quants and Verbal separate as you'll have separate sections for them in the actual test.

Revisions of the concepts/strategies learnt is very important for GMAT preparation. Try to keep 1 day a week aside for revisions/sectional tests.

And an important tip - Schedule the Actaul GMAT early. Keeping the date in mind gives you sifficient motivation to study regularly. This worked for me and my friends.

All the best!!
Prabir
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9470 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 21:25
Expert's post
If you have not stumbled onto this post yet, take a peek: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

For Verbal, would recommending reading some fiction - also helps to keep you sane though the process: gmat fiction

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 09:34
Thanks BB, I have seen that post, it was really helpful. I bought 3 of the books you suggsted on GMAT fiction.
Re: GMAT Prep - Strategy -- Do's & DO NOT'S - Need some Advice   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2010, 09:34