Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Prep1 CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, UCLA,Darden
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 12:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Please find attached the questions which I couldn't make out in GMAT Practice Test1.

Please provide the explanations ..

Thanks,
Anil
Attachments

File comment: Contains the screen shots of the questions
CR.zip [684.57 KiB]
Downloaded 814 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 21:18
It would be great if someone gives the reply. i have gmat on this mOnday .
Please give explanations, so that I can apply the same kind of reasoning in GMAT

Thanks,
Anil
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 23:30
For Q.9/ file CR1
A. to give you more clear explanation let's suppose ( but i think you can use your common sense after understanding)
-Old postage per issue=x
-new postage per issue=x/3+x=4X/3
-Old issue Quantity.=Y
-New issue Q. =y/2
total cost =postage cost x quantity
Therefore, old cost=xy; new cost=4XY/6 (old cost is more than new cost= the magazine reduces the cost-->increases the profit): eliminate A

B. implies that the customer preference doesnt change. Therefore, it lightly implies that the revenue doesnt change. (but still reduce cost due to the decrease in # issue--> decrease total cost)--> increases in profit: eliminate B

C.Same things as B ( but more strengthen than B)

D. says that the income will be less because previously advertiser will reduce the advertising space(=magazine's company income) by half.--> therefore the decreasing issue quantity produces 2 effects 1)the revenue decreases (due to advertising space , 2) the cost decreases (due to postage cost)= the profit possibly declines. correct.

E. implies that the total cost is reduced ( due to the decrease in postage cost).--> increases in profit

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2009, 11:23
Q.18/file CR2
The brief review: the Salcor receives the financial benefit from encouraging the people to have early treatment for high c. Then, Salcor do not need to insure the later-in-life possible heart attack cost. Salcor encourages Garnet. The conclusion: Salcor employees leave earlier-->Salcor has no financial incentive to do so to Renco. (unlike Garnet)
A. If early treatment is does not help to prevent later stoke, Salcor will not save for compensation cost. -->even strengthen the conclusion that there is no financial incentive to do so to R. (and G).

B. ppl get the treatment on their own.IMO, it is lightly neutral to irrelevant.

C. G hires employees significant # of employee from Renco--> it means that however, if the Renco em. are not early treated, Salcor has to pay for the compensation ANYWAY. (better treat early)--> there is financial incentive to do so now to Renco.--> weaken

D. # of employees is out of scope

E. Age of employee is out of scope

I think i could fall into A in the real test, just like you, since choice A. attacks the premise but may i humbly recommend you to stick with conclusion. I think this is what GMAT try to trick us on the hard Q.

donisback, hope this helps

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 12:17
Please explain the solution for the attached CR.

Thanks,
Anil
Attachments

CR_doubts.doc [224.5 KiB]
Downloaded 111 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:41
donisback wrote:

Thanks,
Anil

1.) Take away:20% shopping district will fail w/i 5 years because of Savemart(discounts store).Downtown faced and rebounded before. Conclusion: it will rebound again is ill founded because…
A. kind of biz that will be out is irrelevant
B Bus--> irrelevant
C. last case, shopping district faced different kind of competitor from this w/I 5 years case(discount store). There is no warrantee that the rebound will be successful=correct
D. SafeMart’s biz plan is irrelevant
E. this is somewhat restate the premise of 20% failing of store.

Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:42
donisback wrote:

Thanks,
Anil

2.)Take away: Agr. improves the nutritious by encouraging farmers to plant SPK (rich in Beta-->A) Conclusion: good chance of success because 1. main food 2. others contain little betaC.
A is weakening
B is lightly weakening to irrelevant
C. Irrelevant
D. No other varieties of sweet potatoes. In my opinion, this is lightly strengthen (less than E). The conclusion is just say that good chance of success, not become the best-selling of sweet potatoes./no other is quite extreme word.
E. it is simply said that make sure there is no other things that is at disadvantage. =strengthen to the degree that it can be the assumption. Alternative approach, negate E., “ the current potatoes contain important nutrients that SPK lacks” Now, the increase in Beta might not be appreciated by consumers.

Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:44
donisback wrote:

Thanks,
Anil

3.)Take away: Nubians was at T disease area, but few disease evidences in skeletons. Skeletons have tetracy..(used to make Nubian diet) Conclusion: Tetracy..--> low in T disease.
A.Infectious diseases other than T.--> irrelevant
B.This says that Tetracycline capability is not destroyed via cooking diet./ Yet again, alternatively, negate B. If the Tetracy is ineffective antibiotic due to the cooking process, the tetracy will not be able to be the cause of low disease.
C.Transmit of disease is quite irrelevant. The conclusion focuses on the relationship between Tetracy and disease.
D.Not necessary. Even though, there is in other items or not, it is not going to affect the conclusion(relationship between Tetracy and disease)
E.irrelevant

Hope that helps. Good'luck on you Gday

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 09:03
OA is A.
I too thought it's C. Thanks BMindful for the remaining explanations. I hope I'll have an easy exam on Monday

BMindful wrote:

1.) Take away:20% shopping district will fail w/i 5 years because of Savemart(discounts store).Downtown faced and rebounded before. Conclusion: it will rebound again is ill founded because…
B Bus--> irrelevant
C. last case, shopping district faced different kind of competitor from this w/I 5 years case(discount store). There is no warrantee that the rebound will be successful=correct
Manager
Manager

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 11:36
donisback wrote:
OA is A.
I too thought it's C. Thanks BMindful for the remaining explanations. I hope I'll have an easy exam on Monday

BMindful wrote:

B Bus--> irrelevant

if this is the case. I do not think that i am able to help you on this. We misinterpret the C. you may check this link out.
http://gmatclub.com:8080/forum/viewtopic.php?p=543631

Re: GMAT Prep1 CR   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2009, 11:36