Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT preparation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2003, 04:48
Hi! everybody :D

I joined this club few days back. I was told about this club in one of the Management School open house I attended earlier this week. This website is very informative and helpful. I need advise from all of you who has been preparing for GMAT or given GMAT already. I have started preparing for GMAT. I am using "Cracking the GMAT", The Princeton Review book. The deadline for the admission to the school I wish to apply is May 1st. So, I need to give GMAT and TOEFL before the deadline. I want to give a try. Can someone suggest the most ideal way to prepare for GMAT. Do you think one month is sufficient enough to prepare? I am looking for a score of 650-700.

Thanks. :D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8886 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2003, 21:52
Expert's post
sunaraya wrote:
Hi! everybody :D

I joined this club few days back. I was told about this club in one of the Management School open house I attended earlier this week. This website is very informative and helpful. I need advise from all of you who has been preparing for GMAT or given GMAT already. I have started preparing for GMAT. I am using "Cracking the GMAT", The Princeton Review book. The deadline for the admission to the school I wish to apply is May 1st. So, I need to give GMAT and TOEFL before the deadline. I want to give a try. Can someone suggest the most ideal way to prepare for GMAT. Do you think one month is sufficient enough to prepare? I am looking for a score of 650-700.

Thanks. :D

Hey, welcome :)

Sounds like you have a little less than a month left.
You are an international student, so it will be a little harder for you - tough month. I personally used Kaplan books and I recommend them. You can read my responses on them here: http://www.gmatclub.com/magpie/html/00_My_Recommendations/

As to the final score and enough/not enough it depends :)
Most probably 2-3 montsh is the best time for a working person who can dedicated 10 hours a week. IF you are 37, you are international, and you don't have any time, you definitely need more time, but if the case is not that bad, I am sure you can manage your way out. Assuming you are good with tests, you can battle in - just make sure you don't skip your basics and do plenty of specialized exercises on each topic; Kaplan's math workbook was esp. good.

I assume you have downloaded Power Prep from GMAC. You should wait and take it a few weeks before the test or a week and see what score you will get - that will be a very close approximation. Be methodical.

BB
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2003, 04:43
Thanks bb. The information you have given is very helpful. I am going to try the Kaplan book. I have finished the basics for Maths and intend to complete the Verbal by this weekend. Starting next week, I am planning to start on practice tests. This will give me some idea as to Where I stand.

Thanks once again. :D
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2003, 13:35
Expert's post
sunaraya wrote:
Thanks bb. The information you have given is very helpful. I am going to try the Kaplan book. I have finished the basics for Maths and intend to complete the Verbal by this weekend. Starting next week, I am planning to start on practice tests. This will give me some idea as to Where I stand.

Thanks once again. :D

Just make sure you spend reviewing your mistakes enough and either print or write them out.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

My Situation [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2003, 09:36
Hi All,

First off I would like to extend my thanks to the person who established this website, I can honestly say that its the most comprehensive one of its kind.

My situation is this. I took the PR GMAT course and found it very well organized and informative. However, when I took the GMAT I was slightly thrown off. I found the actual test a lot harder then I was taught to expect. The result was a 570 (Q 37 & V 31) and 6.0 on the AWA :cry: . Now this score has been weighing me down for the past 4 months. I've been talking to people that have been accepted to MBA programs here in Canada and the scores are averaging around 640. I have yet to come across a person who has scored close to me and got accepted.

Eventhough my score is not stellar I do have some decent work experience in the Portfolio Management department of a major securities company. I am really torn here on what I should do. I have since started Level 1 of the CFA to take my mind off the GMAT. While searching through this site I did come across some excellent reviews of Kaplan material. As a result, I have purchased the Kaplan Math and Verbal books.
Hopefully, these books coupled with a good strategy will give me the ideal score that I am striving for which is 650-660. I honestly believe that I can attain this score since my first attempt was not that far off. Any opinions insights etc..... Thank you!!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: My Situation [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2003, 18:01
Expert's post
Eli John wrote:
Hi All,

First off I would like to extend my thanks to the person who established this website, I can honestly say that its the most comprehensive one of its kind.

My situation is this. I took the PR GMAT course and found it very well organized and informative. However, when I took the GMAT I was slightly thrown off. I found the actual test a lot harder then I was taught to expect. The result was a 570 (Q 37 & V 31) and 6.0 on the AWA :cry: . Now this score has been weighing me down for the past 4 months. I've been talking to people that have been accepted to MBA programs here in Canada and the scores are averaging around 640. I have yet to come across a person who has scored close to me and got accepted.

Eventhough my score is not stellar I do have some decent work experience in the Portfolio Management department of a major securities company. I am really torn here on what I should do. I have since started Level 1 of the CFA to take my mind off the GMAT. While searching through this site I did come across some excellent reviews of Kaplan material. As a result, I have purchased the Kaplan Math and Verbal books.
Hopefully, these books coupled with a good strategy will give me the ideal score that I am striving for which is 650-660. I honestly believe that I can attain this score since my first attempt was not that far off. Any opinions insights etc..... Thank you!!

Hey Eli,

thank you for the nice comments about the site. You don't have to be nice that though :) I will reply to the message whether you praise or slander the site... well, maybe if you reall slaner it, just kidding. :lol:

Kaplan is good; at least the books - I have used those. The most helpful about them is that they are harder - so you end up getting easier questions on the Real test than on Kaplan. PR is often the opposite - high scores on the PR but not as high no the Real.

One disadvantage of Kaplan - no combinations or probability problems. but those are not too common - there is a good math formulae list in the Kaplan GMAT&CD Book. I liked the informativeness. Also, I blindly follwed their strategy as to the verbal part - there is no magic or tricks - you just need to learn how to use a methodical strategy and follow it on the test - sort of like learning martial arts.

Good luck with Canada - I really like Ivey Cases; beats Harvard in my mind.....

I will be glad to see you back - we very often have some interesting math/verbal questions posted by members here - all are made up and do not exist in other sources.

BB
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

[#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2003, 18:11
Expert's post
Good Job on the Essays, by the way :wink:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2003, 15:38
Eli,

I am canadian as well. My epxerience is somewhat similar to yours. Took GMAT with only about 2 -3 weeks of evening preparation and got 600. I was totally stressed and did not get much sleep the night before. Retook the test just a couple weeks later, did not study in between the test, but took one week off work and went to France. On my second attempt I was very relaxed (probably too relaxed, since i finished each section 5 min early) and score 50 points higher than the first time. Although I have applied this year, I think my score is a liability, I will probably write GMAT again in the summer after some additional prep and vacation time and reapply in the fall.

Since you are an accountant, you have got to be able to do better than 37 on Quant section. Figure out what your weaknesses are. I never took a course, but bough both PR and Kaplan prep books, honestly I found PR book and strategies a piece of shit, after a day of studying with it I through it out.
  [#permalink] 01 Apr 2003, 15:38