Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT preparation Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 08:49
Does anyone have any advice on what to do for the last 2 weeks before the test? Practice tests, or timed problems on my own?

Thanks!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.-Ghandi

Intern
Intern

In the same boat... [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2006, 13:56
Just took the gmat with 1.5 months prep, though I was doing well, and then... A big 440 appears, booo....!!!!!

Anyway, I was about to give up when I realized that time is on my side, I have the rest of my life to prepare for this test. Best part about it I only need a 580+. Im not going to Harvard so an average score will do. I hope for a 700, but my the sake of my mind, a 600 will do.

My new strategy... Now that the anxiety is over and I FAILED!!! I can say that now proud... I will use the Kaplan 2006 CD/book for a few weeks then go directly into the Official books, Comp/Quant and Verbal books from the manufacture of the gmat.

Keep ya posted!
Intern
Intern

when...n what should be the approach [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2006, 08:54
hey hi everyone..
i am karan..i am interested in giving GMAT for admission to canadian universities MBA program...already started with my preparation..as i'll be completing my bachelor in 2007 june..what is the best time for me to give GMAT is it around dec for admissions around august...
n what should be my approach towards the preparation..what is the basic material i need ...are these kaplans and barons kits enough....i am gud at academics so how much time its gonna take me for preparations i guess 6 months should be enough..
hope for a response from u at the earliest
cheers
karan

I dont rule the world...Bt i dont care who does...

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2.5 yrs in manufacturing
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2006, 20:13
Praetorian wrote:
The dilemma with the OG is that most of the problems in the OG are included in the Powerprep software.

ok, so this is what i tell guys. My advice to you is .. start with the OG. study it , master it cover to cover. I would start with sets of 25 questions of MATH, 10 CR, 10 SC and 3 RC every day. dont rush it, try to understand every problem you get wrong. if this system works for you, you should be able to do most of the OG in two - three weeks.

Then, put the OG aside and start working with the problems in Kaplan etc and if possible, participate in the forum. as weeks go by, you might not remember the OG problems as well as you did the first time you solved them. So, three or four days before the test, take the two Powerprep tests and see how you do. After you have taken the test, now is the time to study the OG completely once again. if you took notes of what errors you did the first time and what errors you did in the powerprep, study them carefully and write down an explanation for your errors. From my experience, I have found that writing down an explanation usually helps you to understand things better and you can remember it better.

While i have time, allow me to add something here ....hope you dont mind.

We have recently started categorizing GMAT MATH problems by difficulty level. There's basic, intermediate and advanced categories. One you are in week 2 of your prep, start going over the problems in this forum. Most of the problems here will make you feel that you are not doing anything in your prep. but our idea of practicing with tough questions is to help you understand the entire concept rather than just a particular problem.

Most guys would solve 100 SIMILAR types of problems on their own easily and feel good that they are doing well. But ETS wont give you points this easily. they will change a little bit here and a little bit there and add to that the pressure that you are in, the problem suddenly looks extremely difficult. This is where clarity of concepts works extremely well. Whenever you feel that you have become good at, say PS, come to the forum and try some of the problems.

Almost every problem you do wrong teaches you something new or reminds you of a pattern in your mistakes. So try to time yourself when you get good at most of the GMAT concepts.

I hope this was helpful to you and other members

Sincerely

Hey I'm almost done with 85% of the verbal part of OG n I have a feeling that it is too easy than the actual Gmat. Do u still think that the goin thru all the easy qs of OG is still worth the time in prepn???

The qs in the forum r a littl challenging
Praet
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 14:13
I know that this is a old thread, but I want to ask a question regarding practice strategy.

I've only been doing the PS part of the OG11, ploughing through it.
After I get through this, I'm going to plough through the DS.
Then the CR,
etc.

As I'm doing the PS now, I'm bored with it. I'm also worried that I'm forgetting everything that I'd prepared for the other sections. Even though I'm bored doing the same section, I want to prove to myself that I can finish them.
Am I just being stubborn, and shooting myself in the foot ?

Does anyone else have this problem too ?

I've only just read Praetorian's email about mixing it up. Is this what everyone else does ? Does it work for them ?

I am only one; but I am still one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
- Helen Keller

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GPA: 3.46
WE: Sales (Other)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

what to do???AAH I'm freaking out [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 20:27
this is just a test in the end. Do what you feel is best for you. Forum members can give advice but there are no clear-cut paths to success. Tweak what you find. For example I never touched the OG once and did well.

One thing everybody HAS to do is the testmakers' test prep software (the one from GMAC). That is a definite help to see where you stand. You might even get lucky and get a question you've seen in the prep before!
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2006, 22:37
Hi,

I would like to know the strategy on how to use the specialized books such as Verbal and Math.

I have Kaplan Premier and focused books on Verbal and Math. How would you do the study order? Kaplan Premier first or Verbal/Math first?

Thank you.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Hi all - new member here. [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 18:13
Hi all,

I've just finished my PR book and want to move on to a Kaplan one and I'm stuck. I have 2-

a. Kaplan Primier Program 2007 Ed
b. Kaplan GMAT 800 2006-2007 Ed

Which book should I go to next? I've heard some mention a third Kaplan book: "Kaplan 200x With BD". Is this the same as (a.) above or an entirely different book.

I've also read some say (a.) above is not worth spending time on...?

Thanks for your help,

-Saumil
saumster@yahoo.com

Saumil Annegiri,
Business Analyst (Philly, PA)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

FYI - Kaplan confusion cleared [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 09:58
Hi all,

Just an fyi in case anyone was confused by the numerous Kaplan books being discussed:

1. The Kaplan Premier Program 2007 with CD is THE SAME as the eaerlier Kaplan 2005 (book + CD), just the latest version.

2. The Kaplan Premier Program 2007 is the SAME as Kaplan Comprehensive Program 2007, except the Primier comes with a CD (The 6 CAT tests which are the most important), while the Comprehensive does not.

3. The rep I spoke to said, the suggested order of study should be:
- Kaplan Premier Program 2007 followed by
- Kaplan 800 or individual Verbal or Math Workbooks

Hope this helps.

-Saumil.

Saumil Annegiri,
Business Analyst (Philly, PA)

Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

OG's predictability of GMAT score [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2006, 01:56
What is the predicatbility of the OG of the GMAT scores?

If I am able to,say, answer all the verbals right or all the questions of the maths section correctly, can it be implied/deduced that I can expect of being in the 99th percentile?

Is my assumption/query vague?

Will anyone advise please?
Intern
Intern

supplementing the OG [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 10:51
i've been around the block with the OG after I took a look at the Kaplan bks and i've actually found that i get a pretty well rounded idea of the questions when i use the manhattan Review books in addition to the OG. the OG is good, but i felt like the questions didn't really get me prepped for the more difficult parts of the test...i dunno, its worth taking a look at the manhattan review materials cuz i thought they did a good job of hitting the hard stuff. just an FYI from da original og!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 12:28
jonnyjersey's the original og with only half a dozen posts? haha. anyway, he/she happens to be right here. manhattan review did wonders for me. i took a week-long intensive course from them that rocked. more importantly, it got me on the right track with my own studying outside of class. i'm sure there are similar courses that are good, but from my exp. thsi is what worked 4 me.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 12:29
jonnyjersey's the original og with only half a dozen posts? haha. anyway, he/she happens to be right here. manhattan review did wonders for me. i took a week-long intensive course from them that rocked. more importantly, it got me on the right track with my own studying outside of class. i'm sure there are similar courses that are good, but from my exp. thsi is what worked 4 me.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 12:41
irish, will you tell me more about manhattan review's intensive week course? in general i've had great experience with manhattan review but don't know anything about this week-long option and i'm still lacking confidence (character flaw - haha)...is this the answer i'm looking for?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 04:40
My strategy? Well Kamplan, Princeton, GO 11th, MAth and Verbal OG, Manhattan SC, Some CAT tests and lots of prays!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT preparation Strategy [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 03:09
I strongly recommend to work OG section after section... You will have more return !
Baky
Re: GMAT preparation Strategy   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2009, 03:09