Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Preparation Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Preparation Strategy [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 21:46
Hi,

I took GMAT prep 1 on 6/9/10 and got Q46;V19 540 total.
Prepared MGMAT SC book without OG/VR and read magazines for few days.
Took GMAT prep 2 on 6/28/10 and got Q47;V20 550 total.

Basically, no improvement. The only thing I could improve a bit is on timing. Still lot to improve there, as I guessed last 10 in verbal, got 9 wrong.

Now, I have one month to take GMAT and get 700. Unreasonable target right, but no flexibility on timing and score to get admission into the school, so I am going to try. I could get up to 610 in a practice test when I prepared for a month last year.

My main thing to improve is verbal, need to double almost. I don't have a reading habit at all and started reading only recently past few weeks and did for a month last year.

My strategy: (working 10 hours a day M-Th with F, S and Su to study)
Read 2 hours a day. One hour an interesting book - on spirituality, my interesting subject, to get into a reading mood and one hour a science fiction / history book. In the weekends, 2 hours a magazine Scientific American, astronomy, economist etc.

Practice OG12 RC and SC 1 hour each a day and 2 hours on the weekends. With this, I will be finishing OG12 RC and SC by end of next week, including MGMAT SC review and take a practice test on 7/11/10 to see if I have improved.

Read CR bible from power score and practice CR from OG12 for a week and retake exam on 7/18.

Practice entire Verbal Review all sections for a week and retake on 7/25.

Last one week, take more full length practice tests, review error log, improve weaker areas and take the final exam on 8/2.

Do anyone see any flaw in my approach? Can I improve, by reading 2 hours a day, my reading and understanding speed in a month or do I have to plan my strategy differently? Please suggest. That will be a great help.

One last question is, I have MGMAT SC book referring to OG11. But, I have OG12. How do I know the question numbers for each chapter linked to OG12 instead of 11? Now, I am planning to use Verbal Review reference.

thanks,
ga10.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Preparation Strategy [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 09:24
I went through the forums with study plan and verbal books, then came up with the above schedule. But, want to know whether it is reasonable to plan like above and improve verbal score.

Based on what I got from the forum, MGMAT is the best for SC and Power score bible is the best for CR. Any ideas about RC, other than reading through the books.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Preparation Strategy [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 09:40
Found answer to the last question about OG11 and OG12 SC differences by MGMAT. Couldn't post the link.

thanks to the forums again,
I am a new bee and picking up now.
Re: GMAT Preparation Strategy   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2010, 09:40