Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Quant-How to do problems right the 1st time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT Quant-How to do problems right the 1st time [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 12:39
Hi,
I don't know if anyone else has this issue but after doing a practice test under timed conditions and going back and redoing those problems in the Quant section, I get a good number of them correct the 2nd time around. How do you make sure you do them right during the test the first time? Granted, the second time I'm doing it I'm not under as big of a time pressure but I'm not exactly taking my sweet time with them either. Is it just about more practice then and reviewing old mistakes and trying to extrapolate to new problems?

Thanks in advance!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2157

Kudos [?]: 7574 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Quant-How to do problems right the 1st time [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 13:46
Expert's post
testace wrote:
Hi,
I don't know if anyone else has this issue but after doing a practice test under timed conditions and going back and redoing those problems in the Quant section, I get a good number of them correct the 2nd time around. How do you make sure you do them right during the test the first time? Granted, the second time I'm doing it I'm not under as big of a time pressure but I'm not exactly taking my sweet time with them either. Is it just about more practice then and reviewing old mistakes and trying to extrapolate to new problems?

Thanks in advance!

Part of it is exactly what you are saying.
The other part is what is the source of the mistake? It could be something as diverse as missed a number or did not know how to solve the problem. The recommendation is different for diff scenarios. You will need to figure out what questions you miss and why/how/etc. Part of it will improve with practice but part of it will require discipline and you will need to look at questions twice (read them twice or re-read at the end to make sure you solved correctly or doing a check at the end (back solve for example). It helped me cut out "silly" mistakes due to missing a part of the setup of answering not what was asked.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: GMAT Quant-How to do problems right the 1st time   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2013, 13:46