Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2009
Posts: 54
Location: pitt
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 15:04
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys,


I have seen lot of post where I can see scaled score to % conversion to total score . but never seen a raw score to scale score conversion .


let me more clear
verbal we have 41 question and I get 28 correct .
what would be my scale score be ( like 30 or 35 .......) .
same would be case of math .

I know we have so many different test ( kaplan, manhattan , gmat ) and they have different pattern . but still a rough idea would help us top push our self.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 361
Location: San Francisco
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 15:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
pittgreek wrote:
Hi guys,


I have seen lot of post where I can see scaled score to % conversion to total score . but never seen a raw score to scale score conversion .


let me more clear
verbal we have 41 question and I get 28 correct .
what would be my scale score be ( like 30 or 35 .......) .
same would be case of math .

I know we have so many different test ( kaplan, manhattan , gmat ) and they have different pattern . but still a rough idea would help us top push our self.

Thanks.



I know that a Q50 and V40 would give 740 ... but the exact score cannot be determined as the same scaled score has given some ppl a 750 too
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12068
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2222

Kudos [?]: 8236 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 22:44
Expert's post
pittgreek wrote:
Hi guys,


I have seen lot of post where I can see scaled score to % conversion to total score . but never seen a raw score to scale score conversion .


let me more clear
verbal we have 41 question and I get 28 correct .
what would be my scale score be ( like 30 or 35 .......) .
same would be case of math .

I know we have so many different test ( kaplan, manhattan , gmat ) and they have different pattern . but still a rough idea would help us top push our self.

Thanks.


Not sure if I am clear - is this what you are looking for?
scoring-question-63464.html
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2009
Posts: 54
Location: pitt
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 15:29
not exactly . Let me break it down .

suppose I get 25 correct in verbal so my raw score 25 /41
what would be scaled score out of 51 ??
so I was looking for raw score to scale score conversion sheet /
once I know My scale score I can roughly calculate my percentile in verbal section and then get an idea where I stand .
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 16:03
Hi pittgreek,

You're looking at it the wrong way.

Your score is not how many were correct/incorrect. It's a combination of the # of correct answers and the respective difficulty of the question (plus penalties for questions not answered at all, if any). You're also ignoring the experimental problems, which are not scored at all.

What you're looking for does not exist as it assumes uniform difficulty across the exam.

I hope this helps.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2009
Posts: 54
Location: pitt
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 16:23
. Ya I totally agree. but I need to have a base line , so that I can see where I am heading to.


20 correct scale score is 30 ..
23 correct scale score is 40 ..( Its just a example)

other wise, I will be always wondering if scoring 26+ or above ( 41 is max) is good enough for 80 % + in verbal section
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 23:22
pittgreek wrote:
. Ya I totally agree. but I need to have a base line , so that I can see where I am heading to.


20 correct scale score is 30 ..
23 correct scale score is 40 ..( Its just a example)

other wise, I will be always wondering if scoring 26+ or above ( 41 is max) is good enough for 80 % + in verbal section


For the GMATprep app or the other prep companies, we can't know the algortihm.

BSDlover worked on some pretty interesting analysis of the GMATPrep program. You can read about it here:
un-scientific-analysis-of-gmatprep-64970.html

Again, remember there are no experimental questions on any practice tests, thus the # right/# wrong can NOT correspond to what you need to score to get the same/higher score.

Obviously you're free to go about whatever strategy you feel suits you. I personally see this one as destructive, as you might focus on individual problems/banking your right:wrong ratio instead of focusing on the exam at large.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 17
Schools: University of Warwick
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 19:16
mohater wrote:
pittgreek wrote:
. Ya I totally agree. but I need to have a base line , so that I can see where I am heading to.


20 correct scale score is 30 ..
23 correct scale score is 40 ..( Its just a example)

other wise, I will be always wondering if scoring 26+ or above ( 41 is max) is good enough for 80 % + in verbal section


For the GMATprep app or the other prep companies, we can't know the algortihm.

BSDlover worked on some pretty interesting analysis of the GMATPrep program. You can read about it here:
un-scientific-analysis-of-gmatprep-64970.html

Again, remember there are no experimental questions on any practice tests, thus the # right/# wrong can NOT correspond to what you need to score to get the same/higher score.

Obviously you're free to go about whatever strategy you feel suits you. I personally see this one as destructive, as you might focus on individual problems/banking your right:wrong ratio instead of focusing on the exam at large.


this all makes sense, but is there a way to gauge how much one is getting when practicing on non-cat exams? Is there a way to try to make out where you stand while you practice?
I mean assuming you answer all questions out of 37 in quant, what must be the threshold that you're looking at to be above 80 %tile
same goes with verbal, to have above 81 %tile or be any other %tile for that matter, how much should one target. I am not looking for a precise answer, rather a ball-park figure would do. A range is also fine and let me make it even simpler: assume no experimental question.

anyone has any answers to the above?
please enlighten
thanks
Re: gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2010, 19:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Prep Scale Score mitulgada 1 28 Oct 2009, 04:54
Raw score , Scaled score and percentile chart goalsnr 6 23 May 2008, 09:56
Experts publish their posts in the topic Raw Score to Overall Score discrepancies trader1 5 03 Jan 2008, 07:17
scaled scoring Hyperstorm 5 04 Oct 2007, 13:16
Display posts from previous: Sort by

gmat raw score ::scaled score :: % score

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.