Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat reatake for a 4th time (please advise)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, UCLA, NYU, Cornell, Michigan, Columbia
WE 1: Nokia Siemens Networks
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Gmat reatake for a 4th time (please advise) [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 14:58
Hi,
I recently gave the GMAT in november and got a 700(q46,v40). This was my third attempt but ive been really improving my score in all th attempts. I was happy with this score (Although people have told me that quant is a little low but i can live with that). The real problem is that i have a 2.7ish GPA (converted from a british degree) and i am targeting the top 15 US schools, all of which have average GMAT from 700-720 and GPA from 3.3-3.6. So i think that i need to hit 750 to be competitive at a top 10 school to mitigate my GPA. Can somebody please advise me on this. Does a 4th attempt look bad even if i can get a 740-750? Is there any other way in which i can mitigate my GPA? Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3777 [0], given: 148

Re: Gmat reatake for a 4th time (please advise) [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2011, 19:22
Expert's post
asiddiqi86 wrote:
Hi,
I recently gave the GMAT in november and got a 700(q46,v40). This was my third attempt but ive been really improving my score in all th attempts. I was happy with this score (Although people have told me that quant is a little low but i can live with that). The real problem is that i have a 2.7ish GPA (converted from a british degree) and i am targeting the top 15 US schools, all of which have average GMAT from 700-720 and GPA from 3.3-3.6. So i think that i need to hit 750 to be competitive at a top 10 school to mitigate my GPA. Can somebody please advise me on this. Does a 4th attempt look bad even if i can get a 740-750? Is there any other way in which i can mitigate my GPA? Thanks

If you are substantially improving your scores in every attempt and you see 750 as a possibility, it may not be a bad idea to take it again. Yes, too many attempts are not looked at favorably but consistent improvement is. At the end of the day, what matters is what you know now. Theoretically, two people with a score of 750 in GMAT taken a month back are the same as far as GMAT scores go. Since admission committees consist of humans, it is probably natural for them to feel that a person who hit 750 in the first attempt is slightly higher ranked than another who hit the same score in 4 attempts. But repeated re-takes with consistent improvement says a lot about your perseverance. And anyway, a person with a 700 is certainly ranked lower than another with 750 (as far as GMAT scores go). So if you feel confident that you can cross the 750 mark, you can seriously consider re-taking it to convince the ad-com of your academic capabilities today.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Gmat reatake for a 4th time (please advise)   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2011, 19:22