Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Results - 2nd attempt: 770 (Q49, V47)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2007, 06:57
LisaBiz wrote:
Artshep
Your advice is golden. I am kicking myself I did not do a the GMATpreptest to gauge where I was sooner.
I am back to the grindstone.
Took my exam yesterday and was sat next to a person with bronchitis who hacked and coughed for the entire test (except for the last 40 minutes). After complaining and having an incident report filed because of the disruption (3 others complained also), I now have to retake the exam before March 15th and am being "accepted" on a conditional basis into my MBA program.
I will be following your advice now that I have another 2 1/2 months to "redo" the exam.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this site.

Lisa,

Good to hear about the conditional acceptance. Definitely take advantage of the time you now have to study and you'll do fine.

Bronchitis Boy is actually not the worst story I've heard. A friend of mine said she sat right next to a guy who was "extremely flatulent" for the entire test. :?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 11:40
Artshep
received some promising news from GMAC, they are reviewing what happened during the testing. I am raising enough of a stink and telling them I do not want to pay for a second round of testing. I am hoping for word by Tuesday.

on another note...I need your advice!

I am fairly positive I am going to sign up for Veritas prep, just TRYING to decide between taking the 36 hour weekend course for both Verbal and Quantitative
OR
taking Quantitative only

Thoughts? Ideas?
ALSO,
how soon after taking your Veritas prep did you sit for the GMAT?
Thanks,
L
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 18:09
Lisa,

Yeah, GMAC should be understanding with your situation. Hopefully they let you in for another shot without having to repay.

About the Veritas course...it really depends. If you can pull a 40+ in the verbal without any more help, then I would stick to the math course and save some money. If, however, you really want to fortify both your verbal and quant skills, take both.

I'm not too familiar with the weekend course, but I believe it doesn't give you the full material like the full course or the intensive courses do. Not a big deal, just make sure you know what you're getting before you sign up. I actually took a week of "vacation" from work to take their intensive course.

One last note on the course. For the quant instruction, they are not going to re-teach you the fundamentals. You have to go in there with an understanding of the basics in math to get the most benefit out of it. If you don't understand the basics, some of the stuff might not help you as much as it should. Good news is you can learn the basics fairly quickly and there are plenty of sources to do so (books, websites, etc.).

If you end up taking the class, let me know how it goes.

Artis
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 19:00
I will be brushing up on the Quantitative portion before beginning.
thanks for the tip
I am really leaning towards taking both weekends (Verbal and Quantitative), what is the point of doing one and not the other (?)
Actually, the weekend course offers the same topics as the Full course, the difference is they spend less time covering problems in class. It is 36 hours over two weekends. (9:30am-7:30pm).
Seattle only offers the Full course during the weekdays for seven weeks straight from 7-10 pm (ugh) 2x per week
I am up by 4:30 am, I think I would hit burnout level real fast.

From the emails I have received, GMAC is taking the (incident) issue very seriously, so I would be very surprised if they make me have to pay again. I would have swapped with your friend in a heartbeat. (over the gassy issue) I could have at least wrapped my sweatshirt around my face like a MuMu :-D
I will have everything definitized by next week. Keep ya posted.
Oh....
How soon after the course did you take the exam?
Ciao
LB
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2007, 19:26
hehehe...MuMu :lol:

I took the test about 4 weeks or so after my class was over. That was more a function of necessity, though. I had to take it during my so-called "Christmas Vacation", when work wasn't an issue.

They will probably recommend you not wait longer than 3 weeks after the class to take your test, but make sure the day you schedule is comfortable for you.

Artis
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2007, 18:55
You are truly devoted to gaining a higher score if you use your "vacation" time to do a prep course
Veritas emailed me back and they recommend 2-3 weeks after the course. I will have to "work" it around my schedule also. The third week of every month is crunch time for me (OT, etc) and my boss has proven she could give a "rats turd" about my success with the GMAT.
Thanks for all the advice.
LB
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 06:02
I prepared for the gmat on and off for about 6 months.Although i was just getting about 530 in test prep using Kaplan on the actually GMAT I got 430!!!
This time I am getting a tutor and going to do 150 test questions read for 3 hrs daily then,come back and kick GMAT,s butt and get my 700 score with which I would get into business school.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 00:37
Congrats on your score ! I am going in for my second attempt next month. Found many of your strategies useful. One question tho: what are the LSAT prep books that you've mentioned? There are gazillions of them on sale at Amazon. Which one did you find helped you the most?
My first attempt I scored 640. Verbal is my strong area so I need to make sure I ace it ....would really appreciate the info!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 14:50
snow wolf -- if you're not in a location where there are many options check out manhattan review online. they have an interactive online course thats great...and i believe they even have online tutors if you wanted individual attn
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2007, 13:04
mission700+ wrote:
Congrats on your score ! I am going in for my second attempt next month. Found many of your strategies useful. One question tho: what are the LSAT prep books that you've mentioned? There are gazillions of them on sale at Amazon. Which one did you find helped you the most?
My first attempt I scored 640. Verbal is my strong area so I need to make sure I ace it ....would really appreciate the info!

Mission,

I actually did not use or mentione any LSAT prep books (I don't think I did anyway). If I used GMAT prep books, I mentioned them by name, so you should be able to reference and find those.

For verbal, I would recommend reading the first half of the book "Elements of Style" - it's a great help, especially on the sentence correction section.

Artis
Intern
Intern

Artshelp please help [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2007, 11:03
Artshep,
Thanks for your postings.It is of really great help. I just gave GMAT Yesterday and my score was 530:Quant 47 and Verbal 17. Verbal was really pathetic.I would really need some advice on please how to improve forward and what is the next steps for imrpoving verbal. I have done the following for verbal:
600 SC questions from the 1000 series.
OG ,Kaplan GMAT Guide,MGMAT Verbal Question bank.
I am really looking forward for your advice.
Please Advice
Thanks
maba
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2007, 11:08
Hi Artis,

Do you have any specific recommendation (books etc) for quickly brushing up maths fundamentals for GMAT? As for my background, I have not studied math beyond high school, but I do not get intimidated by numbers either.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Results - 2nd attempt: 770 (Q49, V47) [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2007, 06:25
artshep wrote:
A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I got a 720 on my first shot at the GMAT and that my practice scores were much higher leading up to the test.

Well, I took the GMAT again this week and got a score much more indicative of my practice tests. 770 total (49Q, 47V).

I have to mention that the boards and challenges here had alot to do with the increased score. The math challenges are the best tools I've seen for sharpening GMAT-specific math skills.

I would be glad to share details if anyone's interested, but just wanted to let you guys know how much this site helped out.

Thanks,
artshep

Congrats man
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Results - 2nd attempt: 770 (Q49, V47) [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 03:38
artshep wrote:
A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I got a 720 on my first shot at the GMAT and that my practice scores were much higher leading up to the test.

Well, I took the GMAT again this week and got a score much more indicative of my practice tests. 770 total (49Q, 47V).

I have to mention that the boards and challenges here had alot to do with the increased score. The math challenges are the best tools I've seen for sharpening GMAT-specific math skills.

I would be glad to share details if anyone's interested, but just wanted to let you guys know how much this site helped out.

Thanks,
artshep

Great Stuff
Congrats
Manager
Manager

Re: Artshelp please help [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 09:12
maba wrote:
Artshep,
Thanks for your postings.It is of really great help. I just gave GMAT Yesterday and my score was 530:Quant 47 and Verbal 17. Verbal was really pathetic.I would really need some advice on please how to improve forward and what is the next steps for imrpoving verbal. I have done the following for verbal:
600 SC questions from the 1000 series.
OG ,Kaplan GMAT Guide,MGMAT Verbal Question bank.
I am really looking forward for your advice.
Please Advice
Thanks
maba

With a verbal score of 17, I think anything you do to study and brush up has the potential to help you quickly and significantly. Learn the fundamentals of sentence correction, understand your reasoning mistakes in CR and RC and work on ways to correct them.

I see that you've done quite a few verbal exercises, but that really doesn't say much. You have to understand exactly why you're getting so many wrong. There are rules to follow (especially in SC), and you can learn those rules and make sure you apply them to each problem.

You've got plenty of room to improve...just put in the quality work and time, and you should see some improvement quickly.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 09:14
rakesh.id wrote:
Hi Artis,

Do you have any specific recommendation (books etc) for quickly brushing up maths fundamentals for GMAT? As for my background, I have not studied math beyond high school, but I do not get intimidated by numbers either.

Thanks.

I don't have any specific examples, but I'm sure there are hundreds and hundreds of options out there on amazon.com or any other similar site.

I came in with a fairly strong math background, so didn't bother much with the fundamentals.

Your approach is right, though...the fundamentals need to be understood thoroughly before you can perfect your timing, strategy, and some of the less-frequently used advanced concepts that are tested.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Results - 2nd attempt: 770 (Q49, V47) [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2010, 09:08
Super awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.
Re: GMAT Results - 2nd attempt: 770 (Q49, V47)   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2010, 09:08