Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT results - Understanding IR score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT results - Understanding IR score [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:34
Hi everyone,

I have just taken the GMAT today and clearly I underestimated how difficult it really is. Anyway, here's how my score breaks down:

IR - 7
V - 23
Q - 36

Score - 500

Verbal was definitely more challenging than expected. Although what concerns me afterward is to understand my score and what it tells about me. How would you interpret my results? I am planning to retake the exam in 3 months from now, but would it make any difference?

Above all, what I really want to know is how do most business schools factor IR (if anyone know).

Best,

Olivier
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: GMAT results - Understanding IR score [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:38
It definitely would make a difference and makes a lot of sense for you to retake... Ideally you want 47+ on the quants and 38+ on verbal... Honestly, with a 500, you are not gonna make a strong case at any good school (maybe not even top 100).. Immerse yourself for the next three months and get your score above the 700 mark.. All the best.. :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT results - Understanding IR score [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:45
My ego tells me that I can't keep such a low score :wink: So, yes, I will get back to work and score a higher score.

Do you have any idea how IR is factored by the best business schools? I read that consulting companies are now taking a closer look to IR, or that IR can even make a difference when it comes to scholarship. Would you agree with that? (does IR matter after all?)
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: GMAT results - Understanding IR score [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
Olivier1812 wrote:
My ego tells me that I can't keep such a low score :wink: So, yes, I will get back to work and score a higher score.

Do you have any idea how IR is factored by the best business schools? I read that consulting companies are now taking a closer look to IR, or that IR can even make a difference when it comes to scholarship. Would you agree with that? (does IR matter after all?)

I got an 8, so I'm definitely agreeing with that.. :P To be honest, the usual answer to this question is that the IR doesn't have enough data yet to be considered by bschools to be a factor.. I mean, the section was introduced only in June 2012. So anyone who took the IR has at best only started their first semester.. Maybe, it will gain more significance 3-4 years down the road...

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: GMAT results - Understanding IR score   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 06:59