Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.02
WE: Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 12:03
Hi Stacy,

I appeared for my GMAT today. My score Maths 49 ,Verbal 28 :( 640.

My profile : Production engineering from a top Indian College GPA 7.55 /10

Currently working as Manager business Solutions,Ranbaxy labs( 3 years experience after college). I am member of the Ranbaxy global SAP team.I have worked on diverse projects such as Accounts payable for shared services,manufacturing Automation,E payment solutions,Pharma covigilance ,Social media plan for the company etc.

I want to pursue a MBA in a year or so. Please suggest should i retake GMAT or this score can get me shorlisted at one of the good B schools.

thanks
Saurabh

Regards
Saurabh

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 12:34
SaurabhDhiman wrote:
Hi Stacy,

I appeared for my GMAT today. My score Maths 49 ,Verbal 28 :( 640.

My profile : Production engineering from a top Indian College GPA 7.55 /10

Currently working as Manager business Solutions,Ranbaxy labs( 3 years experience after college). I am member of the Ranbaxy global SAP team.I have worked on diverse projects such as Accounts payable for shared services,manufacturing Automation,E payment solutions,Pharma covigilance ,Social media plan for the company etc.

I want to pursue a MBA in a year or so. Please suggest should i retake GMAT or this score can get me shorlisted at one of the good B schools.

thanks
Saurabh

Given that your GPA is is on the lower side (3.02 according to your profile), I'd say you should retake and improve the verbal.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 14:48
Expert's post
Saurabh,
Not sure how your GPA of 7.55 /10 scales to a 4.0 scale but with a score of 640 and a background likes yours competing against other Indian male applicants who are strong at math but generally weaker at verbal - it's going to be a lot of competition. You should retake your GMAT exam in an effort to more stand out.

You have 3 years of work experience - this is fine, maybe even a bit on the low side but by the time you apply it will be 4-5. But it seems your background is not unique enough - this has mostly to do with the rest of the applicant pool - that's why the GMAT matters more in your case. Business schools will look at the balance of your quant/verbal score and not just your score of 640. In your case, there is a high imbalance. You can significantly improve your overall score by a slight improvement in your verbal raw score. At your breakdown, your total score is much much more sensitive to one more question correct on verbal than on one more question correct on quant.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT retake [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2012, 09:34
Expert's post
Hi Saurabh,

I recommend that you take the GMAT again. The reason is that on your business school application, your highest score is self-reported. There is no downside to taking the test again, particularly if you believe you can greatly improve your score.

If you'd like, we provide free GMAT advice here: http://www.stacyblackman.com/contact/

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap