Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 23:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

1st Time GMAT 600, Retake Suggestions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Reviews Badge
1st Time GMAT 600, Retake Suggestions? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

I just finished taking my first gmat, and I am disappointed with my score, a 600, 43Q, 30V. When I first started studying, I scored a 510, 31 Q 31 V, and had steadily been working on improving my score. I used all the MGMAT books and then the OG 12 guide and the two supplemental guides as my primary study tools.

I took 5 of the MGMAT Cats
1. 520 30Q 32V
2. 560 35Q 32V
3. 580 39Q 31V
4. 600 42Q 32V
5. 710 42Q 44V

I also took 4 Practice Tests
1. 510 31Q 31V
2. 530 35Q 28V
3. 680 44Q 39V-This and the 710 were taken one week from the actual test
4. 620 39Q 32V-Took this the day before the actual test and it shook my confidence

Things really started to come together when I started to score in the high 6's and low 7's and it just seemed like it was clicking. I now realize that I just assumed because I am a native speaker verbal would be easy. I also almost focused entirely on quant during my studying period, but that was because I was in the getting 90% of RC and CR questions correct in OG because I had taken the LSAT before. I had worked through all the problem solving questions and about 100 of the data sufficiency problems till I got them all right.

But during the test, I felt really confident on quant for the most part, but verbal rattled me, mostly because there were a lot of SC questions and I was weak there.

I think with a retake, I would want to focus on Sentence Correction, the Equations, and VICs guide and the Advanced Quant section. Additionally, I already have Sackmann's math set, and I'm going to buy the GMATClub tests as well. Hopefully that will be enough to increase my quant by a few points, and then I really ned to work on verbal. I am targeting a 720, do you think a retake in 6 weeks makes sense before the integrated reasoning section is introduced or should I wait longer, and what I outlined make sense?

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by Bigred2008 on 18 Apr 2012, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Retake 600-Suggestions [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 00:52
You do not need to rush taking the test just to avoid the IR section. Admission officers must take time to consider whether this section is worth or not. However, if you can study intensively, 6 weeks may be enough to increase 60 points. Your choice.

SC: MGMAT SC guide is enough. Read theory, do the problems at the end of each chapter and return to the theory if you get wrong. You may try SC1000, although some questions are debatable. Search for answers on the internet can give you new perspective on the problems. SC is pattern and practice makes perfect. Visit our forum's SC regularly.
You have little difficulty in dealing with CR and RC ; it's great. Having your SC skills honed will no doubt increase your verbal score and spare time for difficult verbal questions.

Quant: Do a diagnosis test to see your current position. Take note on your weaknesses, find materials about those topics in our forum and try to solve questions. There are many challenging problems there.

Books: As you have exhausted OG and MGMAT, verbal and quant review may give some help.

Gluck.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Retake 600-Suggestions [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 12:21
hellscream wrote:
You do not need to rush taking the test just to avoid the IR section. Admission officers must take time to consider whether this section is worth or not. However, if you can study intensively, 6 weeks may be enough to increase 60 points. Your choice.

SC: MGMAT SC guide is enough. Read theory, do the problems at the end of each chapter and return to the theory if you get wrong. You may try SC1000, although some questions are debatable. Search for answers on the internet can give you new perspective on the problems. SC is pattern and practice makes perfect. Visit our forum's SC regularly.
You have little difficulty in dealing with CR and RC ; it's great. Having your SC skills honed will no doubt increase your verbal score and spare time for difficult verbal questions.

Gluck.

Thanks a lot, I think I may wait a little. I just looked that the IR portion won't count against the 800 score, and because it will be very new when I take it. There will be a good chance it won't mean anything, it also means I get more time to study. Thanks for your advice.

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 0 [2] , given: 0

Re: 1st Time GMAT 600, Retake Suggestions? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 18:22
This post received
KUDOS
Verbal and Quant review books are on the easier side, in my opinion. I'm sort of in the same boat, have exhausted all the questions from OG/GMATPREP/MGMAT. Going to try GMATClub's questions now...
Re: 1st Time GMAT 600, Retake Suggestions?   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2012, 18:22