Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Retake: 660 to 730

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

GMAT Retake: 660 to 730 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 16:41
i took the GMAT twice; I had to take the GMAT twice. the first time, i didn't feel like it was necessary to put that much effort into it, since i had always done well on entrance tests (top 3-5%), even without studying... i found out too late that the gmat is a different animal altogether, and NEEDS A LOT OF EFFORT.

my first take, i took the GMAT within 3 months of deciding that I would apply to B-school. it was an afterthought, more than anything. although I religiously reviewed, i only put in about 1 hour a day, and used only one book. i did all the problems in the book, and thought that would be enough. i also only just used the one free CAT exam from GMAC.

apparently, the GMAT does deserve awe and respect. it gave me the grade i deserved for not studying enough for it: 660. not a bad score at all, but i knew it was well below what i should have gotten. being uncomfortable with the CAT system didn't help either.

i tried applying for the top b-schools, and true enough, didn't get in any of them. i'm sure this was not the only reason, but it was a contributing factor. when i checked the middle-50% range of most schools, my score was either at the lower bound, or even below it. i was at the lower half of the curve.

this year, i actually put in the effort needed. I started reviewing november, 3-4 hours a day, and took the exam last january 4. I got a 730. i made use of 4 different books, princeton, official guide 11th ed, kaplan and kaplan 800. the most effective were princeton and OG for me. i also used the free days of the gmat club to use their tests. thanks for these by the way... i even hired a friend (paid him with coffee at a coffee shop, lol) to teach me some concepts i couldn't quite get. i took all the CAT tests that i could get for free including the official GMAC test, MGMAT, and all the other ones found someplace else in this forum. i also solved the problems given by people in the forums.

i should note however that my scores were a bit different from most people in this forums... i got higher on my verbal than my quant, which is opposite what i keep seeing from other people. Q45 (74%ile) V46 (99%ile). i don't know yet how that will play out with the admissions committees of schools, but let's see.

anyway, thanks to GMATClub for being a great resource. i'm not ecstatic over my scores, but they will do... they're at least above average now for most schools... which can't hurt.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Retake: 660 to 730 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 11:44
Great score! Good luck with the applications now

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

Re: GMAT Retake: 660 to 730 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 18:04
Congrats on the great score! On the quant subscore, if you have decent grades for quant courses on your transcript, I wouldn't be concerned.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: GMAT Retake: 660 to 730 [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 17:28
thanks guys!
Re: GMAT Retake: 660 to 730   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2010, 17:28