Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Retake -- Help with Verbal! Two weeks to go.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
GMAT Retake -- Help with Verbal! Two weeks to go. [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 10:32
First off, let me just say thank you to all of GMATclub for the amazing wealth of resources you guys have put together. I've been lurking around here for about two months (never posted anything) so a big thanks in order. Now I'm coming to you guys for help.

I've got 13 days until my 2nd attempt at the GMAT (Dec. 4th) and have been studying pretty consistently over the last 5-6 weeks. My first GMAT attempt was a 630 (Q40, V36) with minimal studying. This go round, I bought the Magoosh full prep package and the MGMAT guides to help me prepare. I can't tell you how helpful these have been. I've taken 2 GMATprep and 3 MGMAT Cat's:

MGMAT #1: 640 (Q44, V34)
GMATPrep #1: 650 (Q43, V36)
MGMAT #2: 660 (Q43, V37)
MGMAT #3: 630 (Q42, V34)
GMATPrep #2: 680 (Q48, V35)

The last two exams were under exact test-taking conditions -- AWA, IR, etc. The problem for me is the verbal. My quant has skyrocketed with the Magoosh prep; however, my verbal has stayed pretty consistent over the last 1.5 months despite more focused prep in RC and CR. Also, I am a native speaker.

What would you guys suggest I do for these final two weeks to improve my verbal? I'm hoping to reach the 40 threshold before my test, while working on maintaining my quant in the upper-40's. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks guys.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT Retake -- Help with Verbal! Two weeks to go. [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 22:55
Expert's post
Based on the data from your 3 tests, how are you performing in verbal? That is, which areas are your strengths and which are weaknesses? How is timing for you?

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Retake -- Help with Verbal! Two weeks to go. [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 04:48
dhudson88 wrote:
First off, let me just say thank you to all of GMATclub for the amazing wealth of resources you guys have put together. I've been lurking around here for about two m

What would you guys suggest I do for these final two weeks to improve my verbal? I'm hoping to reach the 40 threshold before my test, while working on maintaining my quant in the upper-40's. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks guys.

Hey man

My case is very similar to yours. My first attempt almost a month back got me 620 (44/32) and I am retaking on the 6th Dec, very close to your retake date. I had used all the MGMAT books for my first attempt and was scoring in the 700s on the practice tests (MGMAT and GMATPrep) so my actual score was a bit of an aberration that I have put down to nerves and verbal in equal measure.

While I don't know what specific advise to give you, for my retake I have been using Aristotle Prep books for verbal and have found them extremely useful, especially their question banks because I had run out of all official questions in my first attempt itself. In your case though, I think quant is the bigger problem so I'd suggest these last few days you focus more on quant because, from what I've gathered, it's possible to get a 47-48 in quant, even if you get a lot of the questions wrong, as long as you can get some of the tougher questions correct.

Wish you luck!!

P.S. - What is your test date btw?

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Re: GMAT Retake -- Help with Verbal! Two weeks to go.   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 04:48