Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Retake? When your score is above target schools avg?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Retake? When your score is above target schools avg? [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
I just finished my GMAT retake and was happy/relieved/overjoyed to see a 670 (Q44, V38) on the screen at the end. This marked a 50 point improvement from my effort nearly two months prior.

Now, a question for you gurus.

My target schools predominantly have avg accepted GMAT scores of 610-620. These are mostly tier-2 Canadian Bschools. Although my GPA, WE, etc aren't laughably weak they are WELL short of being overwhelming to an adcom.

My goal was 700+ not only out of personal challenge, but also because I figured if I scored that high relative to the avg scores of my target schools that they would be willing to overlook some of my weaker areas. In essence, they may be sort of 'wowed' with my GMAT score and willing to let it overshadow other, weaker, elements of my application. Now, I will absolutely put in 100% effort on my essays & recs and will be applying early to all my schools....BUT... do you guys think it'll be worth a retake at this point or will a 670 be sufficient to achieve the slack I need to cover my weaker areas of the app?

I'm also concerned about rewriting in case I score lower somehow and spook adcoms with a downtrend and that, while they may say they are only intertested in the highest score, this scenario may negate my previous (higher) score.

Any thoughts here fellas?

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 37

Re: GMAT Retake? When your score is above target schools avg? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 14:53
in my opinion, you're well above the average of the schools that you're targeting, your GMAT score should already be fine. I don't think it'll make much of a difference between your 670 and a 700. I think with a 670, the adcom is going to be more forgiving on the GPA itself. In addition, admission committee is composed of people, just like you and me. Everyone's somewhat biased toward something. If an adcom doesn't like your GPA, he or she will not like your GPA no matter what other part of your application says. At any rate, I believe a 670 should be sufficient enough for the schools you're targeting. Instead of focusing on another retake, I'd focus more on the applications.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9441 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Retake? When your score is above target schools avg? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 15:06
Expert's post
First is this thread of course that you know :)
should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Second, I would talk to the adcoms - they are surprisingly approachable in my experience. If you are around, I would stop by. If not, send an email (i am not a big fan of calling), and tell that you feel 670 is a good score but not accurate of your representation and if there is value to retake - perhaps they can tell you a bit more about scholarship/fellowship opportunities/etc. I am not sure if Bschool is free in Canada but a free ride is nice. You are already attractive to them, so you may be good at this point (of course we don't know all the weaknesses you are referring to; they can be explained, positioned, etc.). Your gmat will get you in the door; your essays will decided if you will stay :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Retake? When your score is above target schools avg? [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 20:47
Expert's post
Congrats on your score! A 50 point improvement is quite impressive and will be seen as a plus by those who will review your profile. Kudos!

But I would say that it's probably time to move on and focus on the rest of your resume. The essays require a great deal of effort and time. I thought that would be the easy part, but it wasn't. In fact, I suspect that the essay portion is what convinced LSE to reject my bid for enrollment. However, my HEC essays rocked and I will be a student there in September!

But do reach out to the admissions office. A visit to the school wouldn't hurt either. If nothing else, these actions show the school that you're seriously interested. And that's always a good thing.

Re: GMAT Retake? When your score is above target schools avg?   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2010, 20:47