Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Rewrite

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 00:18
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I'm going to start a little journal.

Basically I got a 750 - 50/41 a few months ago thanks to GMATClub. But I didn't perform up to par on test day, let's just say that.

So now fast forward: I've made my living through gmat tutoring, and effectively been paid to study the GMAT. Quite a good living at that, and let's just say I've seen every single question imaginable. You really get good at answering questions quickly and correctly when not getting a question right might mean not keeping a client : ) I did a practice paper test the other day, 800, significantly under time (about 12-15 minutes per math section), so I'm in good shape.

I've developed a pretty unique methodology that stresses mental endurance/speed, which is absolutely critical to performing well on the GMAT. Out of about 40 clients, 14 have scored 700 or higher, and 2 I'm currently tutoring are going to hit 700 or higher as well. I'm actually thinking about writing a book on it, but between tutoring and my other business I barely have any time.

Anyways, to make my app more competitive and due to competition from other tutors, I've decided to rewrite. And because of what I do, I'm aiming pretty high-- 790-800.

The 51Q I'm not worried about at all, but I do need to stay sharp and to work on speed a bit on the verbal to nail a 50V+.

I'll try to take a GMATPrep in the next few days. I'm going to be working off GMATPrep, Paper Tests, OG10, OG11, and PowerPrep exclusively (which is what I use with my clients, Kaplan/McGraw/Barrons/etc go promptly into the garbage :) ).

I'll post in here as I study... I think I'm going to book tomorrow or the day after, so I'm motivated to study : ) Otherwise laziness will force $50 to go down the drain to reschedule the exam... hah
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 00:26
Perhaps you can share your methodology to gauge its effectiveness - I have hit 720 twice, but I want to go to 750+ (my last split was 48 42) ...
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 04:38
StartupAddict wrote:
Well, I'm going to start a little journal.

Basically I got a 750 - 50/41 a few months ago thanks to GMATClub. But I didn't perform up to par on test day, let's just say that.

So now fast forward: I've made my living through gmat tutoring, and effectively been paid to study the GMAT. Quite a good living at that, and let's just say I've seen every single question imaginable. You really get good at answering questions quickly and correctly when not getting a question right might mean not keeping a client : ) I did a practice paper test the other day, 800, significantly under time (about 12-15 minutes per math section), so I'm in good shape.

I've developed a pretty unique methodology that stresses mental endurance/speed, which is absolutely critical to performing well on the GMAT. Out of about 40 clients, 14 have scored 700 or higher, and 2 I'm currently tutoring are going to hit 700 or higher as well. I'm actually thinking about writing a book on it, but between tutoring and my other business I barely have any time.

Anyways, to make my app more competitive and due to competition from other tutors, I've decided to rewrite. And because of what I do, I'm aiming pretty high-- 790-800.

The 51Q I'm not worried about at all, but I do need to stay sharp and to work on speed a bit on the verbal to nail a 50V+.

I'll try to take a GMATPrep in the next few days. I'm going to be working off GMATPrep, Paper Tests, OG10, OG11, and PowerPrep exclusively (which is what I use with my clients, Kaplan/McGraw/Barrons/etc go promptly into the garbage :) ).

I'll post in here as I study... I think I'm going to book tomorrow or the day after, so I'm motivated to study : ) Otherwise laziness will force $50 to go down the drain to reschedule the exam... hah

Good to see you back! I was wondering when you were going to retake. You may want to add GMATFocus to your list. It's available on mba.com. You must be eager to try new questions once in a while.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 05:36
he's aliveee
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 05:40
May i know what you mean by gmat tutoring...are you giving tutions on your own...
i will also like to do that..and help others achieve that score...
can you tell me more...as to how you go doing this?
i don't believe that this is the correct forum..is this is the case..i can send you PM ..atleast reply to this post...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 07:03
Addict - much respect! Given what you've said, it looks like you're going to ace the thing! (well, ace^2 because a 750 is nothing to scoff @ either! =P )

Mind sharing details of where you got the extra quant questions from? Which books?

Much appreciated and best of luck.
- tsd
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [2] , given: 2

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 14:03
This post received
KUDOS
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 18:05
Tarmac that pic is just too much lol.

I haven't gotten around to studying myself yet, been busy with clients and repairing my car, but I should study a bit Friday I'm hoping. Tomorrow I'm in the big city tutoring, 6 hours... very tiring : )

bsd lover, 42V is very strong, it's the quant that's keeping your score low. A 51 42 would give you a 770 or so.

I'd say on a 48V you probably got 10-15 questions wrong in the Quant, and missed a few hard questions consistently. Focus on probability, combination, triples, remainder, venn diagram questions.

Plus increasing your speed would help out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 21:56
May the force be with you :gl

My GMAT debrief

Director
Director

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 19:34
I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and study yet, but I have been tutoring quite a bit so I'm getting some practice in there.

An interesting question and my solution:

If a number X is the multiple of all the numbers from 1 to n, and X is a multiple of 990,
then what's the smallest possible value n can be?

A) 9
B) 10
C) 11
D) 12
E) 8

Solution:

990 = 9 * 10 * 11

X = something * 9 * 10 * 11 (since X is a multiple of 990)

11 is prime, so we must go from 1 -> 11 at least.

Hence the smallest possible value of N is 11.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 11:24
StartupAddict wrote:
I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and study yet, but I have been tutoring quite a bit so I'm getting some practice in there.

If a number X is the multiple of all the numbers from 1 to n, and X is a multiple of 990,

A) 9
B) 10
C) 11
D) 12
E) 8

basically the question is saying X!=990*N

smallest possible value..i.e the biggest prime number in X!

X!=990*N

99*10 => 9*11*10, primes are 3, 2, 5 and 11..

you need 11 at the least to have a mulltiple of 990..
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 22:49
fresinha12 wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:

A) 9
B) 10
C) 11
D) 12
E) 8

X!=990*N

Yes. The key lies in realizing that 11 is prime, that the only way you can get prime in there is to have N go to 11. So hence the answer is 11.

I haven't gotten around to studying yet (!), but I did just book my appointment for the 21st of July @ 12:15pm. So now that I have a deadline, it's time to study 24/7 ;)

Here is a good question from OG10, which actually is pretty tricky:

Today Rose is twice as old as Sam and Sam is 3 years
younger than Tina. If Rose, Sam, and Tian are all alive 4 years from
Today, which of the following must be true on that day?

I - Rose is twice as old as Sam
II - Sam is 3 years younger than Tina
III - Rose is older than Tina

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) II and III

Time yourself strictly -- 94 seconds ;)

Solution to come...

I will try to do a Paper Test tomorrow before I head out to tutor all night in the big city.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 23:06
I am choosing B

StartupAddict wrote:

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) II and III

Solution to come...

I will try to do a Paper Test tomorrow before I head out to tutor all night in the big city.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:40
hey in the last part of the question..is it tian or tina??? (hopefully no typo)

i am assuming its tian..if thats the case the ans is B

the only tricky part is statement#3..

is Rosa>tina?

lets see.

R=2S
s=t-3

today
r=2(t-3)..

2(t-3)>t
if 2t-6>

i.e if on t>6 will Rosa be older than Tina..

t+4> is still less than 6..therefore we cant tell

StartupAddict wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:
StartupAddict wrote:

A) 9
B) 10
C) 11
D) 12
E) 8

X!=990*N

Yes. The key lies in realizing that 11 is prime, that the only way you can get prime in there is to have N go to 11. So hence the answer is 11.

I haven't gotten around to studying yet (!), but I did just book my appointment for the 21st of July @ 12:15pm. So now that I have a deadline, it's time to study 24/7 ;)

A) I only
B) II only
C) III only
D) I and II
E) II and III

Solution to come...

Director
Director

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 22:44
Hrm, well the way I think it should be done is calculate the relationship between Rose and Tina now, which is:

R=2S
s=t-3

===> R=2(T-3) = 2T-6

Then go 4 years forward:

(R+4) = 2(T+4)-6
R+4 = 2T+8-6
R = 2T +4 - 6
R = 2T -2

So if Rose is older than Tina, then we'd have R>T

And since R=2T-2, we'd have 2T-2>T ==> T>2.

Here's the thing that ticks me off. LOGICALLY, we can assume they're all alive initially (otherwise how would Tina have a freaking name?). So in 4 years Tina would be at least 4, hence III should *logically* be true.

But, alas, the DS nazi who writes the DS questions says nope, you can't assume that.... so basically Tina isn't born yet.

So III need not be true.

So just remember, when doing age questions, don't assume the person is already born ;)

Didn't get a chance to study yet-- but I will soon, hopefully!! And when I study I study like a fiend.... you guys know when your brain gets mushed? I keep studying for hours after that, until you start to get light headed and are on the verge of fainting ;) No better way to increase your endurance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2008, 08:38
StartupAddict wrote:
Hrm, well the way I think it should be done is calculate the relationship between Rose and Tina now, which is:

R=2S
s=t-3

===> R=2(T-3) = 2T-6

Then go 4 years forward:

(R+4) = 2(T+4)-6
R+4 = 2T+8-6
R = 2T +4 - 6
R = 2T -2

So if Rose is older than Tina, then we'd have R>T

And since R=2T-2, we'd have 2T-2>T ==> T>2.

Here's the thing that ticks me off. LOGICALLY, we can assume they're all alive initially (otherwise how would Tina have a freaking name?). So in 4 years Tina would be at least 4, hence III should *logically* be true.

But, alas, the DS nazi who writes the DS questions says nope, you can't assume that.... so basically Tina isn't born yet.

So III need not be true.

So just remember, when doing age questions, don't assume the person is already born ;)

Didn't get a chance to study yet-- but I will soon, hopefully!! And when I study I study like a fiend.... you guys know when your brain gets mushed? I keep studying for hours after that, until you start to get light headed and are on the verge of fainting ;) No better way to increase your endurance.

I choose E, but when read your explanation, I keep laughing. Well, I got a mistake. I assume Tina is existing.

Welcome back!
BTW, are you in the picture? You look like the actor in Ironman movie.
Director
Director

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2008, 20:23
GMATPrep1 July 5th

51Q (3x), 45 mins
50V (1x), 40 mins

Condition: sick (got some turboflu, hit me hard the last 2 days starting to get over it now), and got interrupted a few times.

I'm going to do a Paper Test tomorrow (or maybe 2 paper tests in 3 hours to fry the brain a bit) and then a GMATPrep the day after. Saw a few repeats, but still satisfied. The quants I got wrong because I spent like 30 seconds on them instead of equating them, so if I put in the proper amount of time I would have gotten them right. The SC's I had to redo, and I only got 1 SC wrong.

Going to do some SC1000 & some OG10 RC/CR and some tricky permutation questions.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 19:35
by the way, startupaddict, did you know that if you score an 800 on the gmat, you can't take it for 5 yrs! so if you're a gmat tutor, that wouldn't be good! you wont' be able to see any modifications to the real gmat if the test makers implement any changes.

I'm very cheerful!

Director
Director

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 00:44
Haha, the pros and disadvantages of scoring that high.... scoring 780/790/800 is all about luck.

Speaking of which, I wrote a GMATPrep Test2 today.

Overall 780
Q: 51Q (5x) - 60 mins
V: 47V (4x, 2 SC 2 RC) - 40 mins

Still sick, plus had friends around for the last 20 q's on verbal so was distracted a bit.

I saw some ridiculous Quant questions I've never seen before, including a DS with 4 variables and about 4-5 absolutes & inequalities.... I think it was:

if a<y<z<b is |y-a|<|y-b|?
1) |z-a|<|z-b|
2) |y-a|<|z-b|

definitely a 50+ Q question

The RC's I didn't read the passage properly, and the SC's I second guessed myself-- my initial choices were correct.

Going to practice SC, review some Quant problems and do a Paper Test tomorrow.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Rewrite [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 01:03
StartupAddict wrote:
Haha, the pros and disadvantages of scoring that high.... scoring 780/790/800 is all about luck.

Speaking of which, I wrote a GMATPrep Test2 today.

Overall 780
Q: 51Q (5x) - 60 mins
V: 47V (4x, 2 SC 2 RC) - 40 mins

Still sick, plus had friends around for the last 20 q's on verbal so was distracted a bit.

I saw some ridiculous Quant questions I've never seen before, including a DS with 4 variables and about 4-5 absolutes & inequalities.... I think it was:

if a<y<z<b is |y-a|<|y-b|? Is y closer to a than it is to b?1) |z-a|<|z-b|
2) |y-a|<|z-b|

definitely a 50+ Q question

The RC's I didn't read the passage properly, and the SC's I second guessed myself-- my initial choices were correct.

Going to practice SC, review some Quant problems and do a Paper Test tomorrow.

Be sure to understand that |x-y| is the distance from x to y.
Re: GMAT Rewrite   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2008, 01:03