Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gmat Score: 590 (Q:44 V:27)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Gmat Score: 590 (Q:44 V:27) [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 01:38
Took the Gmat last week and scored a 590. I know this score pales in comparison with everyone else on the board, but I am honestly happy with my score. I was shooting for a 500-550.

Background:
I have been studying for this test since July 05. I am an average student. I did my best throughout high school to avoid math. Highest level of math completed in high school was geometry. I never took the SAT. I went to community college for 4 years and finished at a state college. Oh... I took a pre-sat class in high school and scored 900. Not sure why I'm writing all this. I spent most of the 4 months learning basic math principles since I was lacking in this area. I didn't spend too much time on verbal. My study materials were OG 10th, GRE/GMAT Math Review by Kaplan, Kaplan 2003 Gmat book, and various Gmat forums on the net.

Practice Test Scores (I'm only counting my first attempts at these test):
Gmat Powerprep 1: Mid 400s
Gmat Powerprep 2: Mid 400s
Gmat New Powerprep: High 400s
Gmat New Powerprep: High 400s

I'm not sure if anyone can take anything from this posts. During my preparation, I was distracted quite easily. Video games and surfing the internet got in the way. Oh, also watching football, which took up my whole sundays, and sportscenter, which takes an hour of my time. I really admire everyone on this board trying to better themselves and striving for that 700+ mark. I just know that for me it would be impossible to break.

Also wish me luck on getting into b-school.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 04:47
Just wanted to convey how envious I am of you....because you seem to be comfortable with who you are...that, to me is the key to happiness...the fountain of elixir. Most of us struggle to accept who we are, through our lives..

My heartfelt wishes for your application.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 08:50
mohish wrote:
Just wanted to convey how envious I am of you....because you seem to be comfortable with who you are...that, to me is the key to happiness...the fountain of elixir. Most of us struggle to accept who we are, through our lives..

My heartfelt wishes for your application.

Thank you for your kind words. I know that top schools want that high gmat score, but there is so much more to a person than performance on a 250 dollar test. If a school wont accept me based on a score then I really dont want to think about that college.

I consider myself a simpleton. I like video games, spending time with my wife and dog, watching movies, and sleeping. I still have the drive to improve myself. I work full-time (40-45) hours making 8 dollars/hr but I love my job. Studying for the gmat was hard because of the sacrifice of time away from all of the things I do enjoy.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 09:22
i got 560 on my first attempt and 640 on second..i am heading for the third attempt and i pray that it is be equally better.....come on Christian.....if u want it u can try it again....but i do appreciate ur complacency.....best of luck

------------------------------

only if i could choose....

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 13:53
Christian,
All the best in all your future endeavors. I am like you. I am aiming for a score of only 500. I have chosen the school I want to go to, happy with my part time/ seasonal job. But I do have the desire to make more than $8 per hour and that is the reason I want to do my masters. I quit maths after high school (that was like 15 yrs ago) I am trying to get the basic maths down. Did you use any other books like high school math book. If so can you give me the details. I am glad to know that there are some people out there who are like me
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 21:10
Christian, I admire the frankness and the honesty with which u shared your experience with all of us. Most of us , dont do that but you had the courage to do it. I'm sure with a little more effort you can scale greater heights. All the best.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2005, 22:44
geethamridu wrote:
Christian,
All the best in all your future endeavors. I am like you. I am aiming for a score of only 500. I have chosen the school I want to go to, happy with my part time/ seasonal job. But I do have the desire to make more than $8 per hour and that is the reason I want to do my masters. I quit maths after high school (that was like 15 yrs ago) I am trying to get the basic maths down. Did you use any other books like high school math book. If so can you give me the details. I am glad to know that there are some people out there who are like me

I'm being honest when I say that I did not learn a lick of math in high school. In high school, I was more interested in girls and spots. I got by high school by copying homework and honestly asking people for answers on tests. This habit came to bite me in the butt in college. I passed algebra in college because my teacher gave us the exact problems before the tests and I would have someone work the problems. Test day would come and I just regurgatated everything.
For preparation of the GMAT I used the GRE/GMAT Math Book by Kaplan. The book was wonderful in helping me nail down the basic concepts of math. I mean all the topics that I dreaded in High School - word problems, exponents, and geometry are covered very well in this book. This book helps with the basics, but it doesn't simulate test questions at all. Once I completed this book, I went over the OG quant review section.
Now feeling confident in my quant abilities, I started math problems in the OG. I finished 50% of the arithmetic and 50% of the data sufficiency. The hardest concepts to me were the work problems, probability, permutations, combinations, and mixture problems.

I put too much time into quant, but I felt this was my weakest area. I should have put more emphasis on verbal. Verbal to me is such a boring section. I mean Quant is kind of fun, but verbal is the ultimate bore.
  [#permalink] 29 Dec 2005, 22:44