Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score 610 & Advice on re-take strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Score 610 & Advice on re-take strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 09:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all,

Just came back from the test center, quite disappointed to be frank. I scored 610 (Q41, V34) in first attempt to reach a score 680+ (within the range of my target schools: Haas, Wharton, Duke, LBS and Kellogg). Although I have a rather diverse background, good career experience and progression, I aim for 680+ in order to increase my possibilities to be admitted.

Although I reached my average score in the Verbal section, unfortunately I scored 4 points below my average score in the Quantitative section. The most important thing is that I am a little bit frustrated because I have the feeling that I hit the ceiling...I had very good preparation (at least I thought so) studying the OG, MGMAT, Kaplan 800, 1000SC, Princeton review books. In retrospect, I think that my strategy of dealing with all books first and then practice and take tests was unscuccessful because it didnt highlight my weakness. My intention is to set milestones, do a very good brush up of each book and take tests at each milestone.

I would appreciate any advice on the study strategy I should follow and on the more specific Qs:
- I am not a English native speaker and given that I have already studied several GMAT books, I would be really interested in suggestions on how to improve my Verbal score
- The Quantitative section is more straightforward in my point of view. Need to work on weaknesses (inequalities, absolute value, descriptive statistics/sets)
- How soon should I take the test again?

Looking forward to your advice/point of view/suggestion

Many thanks and best regards,

A+
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: GMAT Score 610 & Advice on re-take strategy [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 18:33
Nymphetamine wrote:
Hi all,

Just came back from the test center, quite disappointed to be frank. I scored 610 (Q41, V34) in first attempt to reach a score 680+ (within the range of my target schools: Haas, Wharton, Duke, LBS and Kellogg). Although I have a rather diverse background, good career experience and progression, I aim for 680+ in order to increase my possibilities to be admitted.

Although I reached my average score in the Verbal section, unfortunately I scored 4 points below my average score in the Quantitative section. The most important thing is that I am a little bit frustrated because I have the feeling that I hit the ceiling...I had very good preparation (at least I thought so) studying the OG, MGMAT, Kaplan 800, 1000SC, Princeton review books. In retrospect, I think that my strategy of dealing with all books first and then practice and take tests was unscuccessful because it didnt highlight my weakness. My intention is to set milestones, do a very good brush up of each book and take tests at each milestone.

I would appreciate any advice on the study strategy I should follow and on the more specific Qs:
- I am not a English native speaker and given that I have already studied several GMAT books, I would be really interested in suggestions on how to improve my Verbal score
- The Quantitative section is more straightforward in my point of view. Need to work on weaknesses (inequalities, absolute value, descriptive statistics/sets)
- How soon should I take the test again?

Looking forward to your advice/point of view/suggestion

Many thanks and best regards,

A+

Hey man, dont be down! You did what you could with the resources you had. You identified your weaknesses and that's a great start.There's a lot to look forward to when you read about all the success stories on this board! Take a few days off, brush up, and get back on the road to 700+!!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score 610 & Advice on re-take strategy [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 01:27
While I agree with you that you need to improve your verbal, I feel you can easily improve on Quant as well. I strongly recommend to purchase the gmatclub quant tests and just practice with them. Just do one test every alternate day and make sure you review your mistakes as well as those questions on which you took a long time.

For Verbal I suggest to go through the SC document of questions from GMATPREP that has been shared on this forum. This will improve your SC which in turn will improve your Verbal score.

All the best
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score 610 & Advice on re-take strategy [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 03:32
Don't give up.. I think you've already studied using some pretty good books.. Try to participate in the forum here, there are many good practice questions for verbal!
Re: GMAT Score 610 & Advice on re-take strategy   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2011, 03:32