Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 25

Reviews Badge
GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
If admissions committee had to choose, which one of these applicants would be most preferred, and which one least preferred?

Applicant 1: 700 GMAT with 48Q (80th Percentile), 37V (81st Percentile)
Applicant 2: 720 GMAT with 51Q (98th Percentile), 35V (74th Percentile)
Applicant 3: 740 GMAT with 42Q (59th Percentile), 49V (99th Percentile)

(Assume all other aspects of the applications are equal...)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 30

Re: GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 22:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
High total score. Every time. Without a doubt. This is the one that influences the rankings.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.84
WE: General Management (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 13:04
Can anyone else back this up?
I got a 760 - 99th percentile, but my split was Q47 (73rd) V47 (99th)
What is so annoying about this, is that I am quite confident I could have done better. This awful drilling started during my IR section so during the break, I went to go find the construction workers to ask if they wouldn't mind not drilling for about 75mn while I took the quant section. Luckily, they agreed to hold off on the drilling, but, unfortunately, my little adventure caused me to go over the break by 4mn so I only had 71mn for the quant section. I'm tempted to take it again because I think I could do better, but, ugh, I am so tired of GMAT study, and, while I have gotten a 90 percentile or above on every practice test in verbal, I might not get 99th V again, so although I could get the Q score up to 80th percentile, I could end up with a lower overall score if the verbal is slightly lower.

Note: this was my second GMAT, my first, which was taken naively with almost 0 preparation, was 660.
Also, I am particularly concerned about this because I want to go to Stanford and I have heard that they value the 80/80
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 561 [2] , given: 30

Re: GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 00:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Please, for the love of everything, don't even think about taking the GMAT again. You know what Stanford likes more than anything? More than people with 800 GMATs?? Really amazing, passionate, crazy, wild, fun, interesting, deep, thoughtful essays.... spend your energy there. At this point this is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
To answer the original question, if the applicant had done poorly in quantitative subjects and/or had little quantitative experience in his or her job then the applicant would rather have the 720 with the 98% percentile quantitative as not to corroborate difficulty in quantitative subjects.

To answer the subsequent poster, with a 760 do not worry about the 73% quantitative. Focus on introspection and producing the best application possible, especially the What Matters Most essay.

Good luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Re: GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2013, 10:50