Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score Calculator - calculate your gmat score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 20

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 15:42
bb wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:
Does this estimator do a good job predicting people that have a huge standard deviation of scores? I have a 75 point SD. Here are my 5 tests:

610 (GMatprep)
660 (Kaplan- pencil and paper)
590 (GMatprep)
510 (Kaplan CAT 1)
710 (Kaplan CAT 2)

It seems to me that an estimator like this would be more useful for someone that scores consistently on the test. Are these scores weird or what?

All of your tests are in-line except the last Kaplan. I would try another test - that is way too high for the same Kaplan you got 510 on (historically Kaplan is 100 points below real score, but they have been working on it lately).

Well if you take out the 660 pencil and paper, then that's closer to the truth. I do think that the 510 is on the low side. Is it impossible that I've improved? Or is the 710 pretty much useless? C'mon, don't kill my hopes, just when I was feeling good about myself!

Edit: Is it possible, that the 710 was more of a turning point rather than an outlier?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9469 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 22:13
Expert's post
GmatNY86 wrote:

All of your tests are in-line except the last Kaplan. I would try another test - that is way too high for the same Kaplan you got 510 on (historically Kaplan is 100 points below real score, but they have been working on it lately).

Well if you take out the 660 pencil and paper, then that's closer to the truth. I do think that the 510 is on the low side. Is it impossible that I've improved? Or is the 710 pretty much useless? C'mon, don't kill my hopes, just when I was feeling good about myself!

Edit: Is it possible, that the 710 was more of a turning point rather than an outlier?[/quote]

Sorry :x

Take another GMATprep or PowerPrep - that should determine the score without questions (which I guess is a bit counter productive with estimator, but in a situation like this when there are conflicting scores, I am not sure what else to suggest)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 14:44
bb wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

Edit: Is it possible, that the 710 was more of a turning point rather than an outlier?

Sorry :x

Take another GMATprep or PowerPrep - that should determine the score without questions (which I guess is a bit counter productive with estimator, but in a situation like this when there are conflicting scores, I am not sure what else to suggest)[/quote]

bb, I'll take another test on Saturday (I don't like taking them on a weekday, I'm convinced that my 590 on the second GMATPrep would've been higher if I took it on a weekend). Even if I didn't want to (and I do) it's a required part of the Kaplan course that I'm taking. Thanks for the help.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 14:59
Expert's post
Cool - let me know - I am curious where you fall

I guess since you are taking a Kaplan class, you must be taking the "new" Kaplan test with improved algorithm as the old ones were always 100 points below the real GMAT. So, this will resolve your question and mine too :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Current Student

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 15:04
bb wrote:
Cool - let me know - I am curious where you fall

I guess since you are taking a Kaplan class, you must be taking the "new" Kaplan test with improved algorithm as the old ones were always 100 points below the real GMAT. So, this will resolve your question and mine too :)

Well, hopefully it's still tougher. Otherwise the 510, really makes me shake my head. :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 20:10
Hi bb
My first time posting/asking a questions here.
I wanted to know if the score estimator takes into account only the latest test? I recently took a test on Kaplan Premier 2007 book and my score was a mere 530. If I use the estimator it gives me a score of 630 at average stress level. I am not sure if I should be elated or discouraged as this was my first GMAT test of any kind.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 20:22
Expert's post
amaneet wrote:
Hi bb
I wanted to know if the score estimator takes into account only the latest test? I recently took a test on Kaplan Premier 2007 book and my score was a mere 530. If I use the estimator it gives me a score of 630 at average stress level. I am not sure if I should be elated or discouraged as this was my first GMAT test of any kind.

Welcome (thought a belated welcome since you have been a member since 2007!).
The estimator works correctly with the 2008 and 2009 version of the test. I believe it is the same as 2007, so your estimates of 100 points are correct. Kaplan on average lowballs your score. So, you have a 630.

Don't get discouraged with Kaplan tests - they are good practice, just have screwed up scoring. I, for example, never hand a Kaplan score greater than 640 or 650 and my final result was 750.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 05:04
Thanks for the prompt reply bb. Makes me feel much better.
As for the first post since 2007, I wasn't sure then if I needed an MBA. This time around, I am sure and determined.

Another question: I understand this is not the appropriate forum for this question but I tried and couldn't find the answer. I am trying to change my display name but "Edit Profile" doesn't give me the option to do so. Can you guide me through it or send me a link? Thanks again.
Current Student

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 16:13
bb wrote:
amaneet wrote:
Hi bb

The estimator works correctly with the 2008 and 2009 version of the test. I believe it is the same as 2007, so your estimates of 100 points are correct. Kaplan on average lowballs your score. So, you have a 630.

Don't get discouraged with Kaplan tests - they are good practice, just have screwed up scoring. I, for example, never hand a Kaplan score greater than 640 or 650 and my final result was 750.

When did you take it though? Also by screwed up scoring, do you mean that their grading sucks or that the test itself is more difficult? I got another 600 (before that had a 610) and at this point with less than a month to go I can only hope that despite my instructor's insistence Kaplan does in fact low ball the score.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 16:25
GmatNY86 wrote:
bb wrote:
amaneet wrote:
Hi bb

When did you take it though? Also by screwed up scoring, do you mean that their grading sucks or that the test itself is more difficult? I got another 600 (before that had a 610) and at this point with less than a month to go I can only hope that despite my instructor's insistence Kaplan does in fact low ball the score.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 19:05
Expert's post
GmatNY86 wrote:

Hey GmatNY!

You never resolved the issue with Kaplan? Did you end up taking a GMATPrep one of these days?

Founder of GMAT Club

Current Student

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 19:22
bb wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

Hey GmatNY!

You never resolved the issue with Kaplan? Did you end up taking a GMATPrep one of these days?

I'm not sure what issue you're referring to. My issue when I thought my score was too high was resolved. I answered many questions to start both sections (consecutively). I also didn't have terrible percentages. I just compared them to my pencil and paper diag, which is graded differently I would assume. If it's the issue of me wondering whether Kaplan is harder or not (and as you can see, I keep bugging you about it!), well my instructor says it's similar, my friend that took the GMAT said that she didn't notice a difference in difficulty BUT ended up scoring higher on the real GMAT (710) than on any practice tests. In fact my 710 on my second CAT was better than any score she scored in Kaplan. BUT, that 710 seems like years ago.

I got a 610 and 600 since. The last one was particularly troublesome. I always fancied myself as good in Math (though objectively I'd say Quant is harder than verbal for the GMAT), and I ended up bombing Quant. Or more specifically I ended up bombing problem solving. I got an 11 out of 15 in data sufficiency but only 9 out of 22 right in problem solving. It's quite embarrassing for someone that always prided himself in his math. I have to say though that outside of that CAT where I got a 710 in, I've constantly let my nerves get the better of me. I think if I was more calm I'd answer more questions. I answered a question that I couldn't answer during the test in my head later on, for example. I've blown a question that was almost a carbon copy of a question that I saw in a previous test because of nerves. I need to manage my stress a lot better.

Edit: Oh and the GMatPrep, I took a while back. I don't think they'll be good gages as to where I stand now. I took the first as the first GMAT I ever took without any preparation and got a 610. I also took the second one as the 3rd test that I took and got a 590. I think though that test wasn't a great measure of where I stood, at least not in verbal. I took it after work and I was too tired come verbal. Since then I've had 4 tests (all on a weekend btw, lesson learned).
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 19:41
GmatNY86 wrote:
bb wrote:
amaneet wrote:
Hi bb

To answer your question GmatNY, I took the test last weekend (Aug 29th) as a diagnostic to find out my weak areas. I don't think bb meant the test is hard. I think he means their scoring method is more strict.
Current Student

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 20:01
amaneet wrote:
To answer your question GmatNY, I took the test last weekend (Aug 29th) as a diagnostic to find out my weak areas. I don't think bb meant the test is hard. I think he means their scoring method is more strict.

Did you take the test from their CD ROM? I wonder if it's similar to (grading and difficulty-wise) to the CATs that I take as part of the class. Thanks for the help.
Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 14:49
GmatNY86 wrote:
amaneet wrote:

Did you take the test from their CD ROM? I wonder if it's similar to (grading and difficulty-wise) to the CATs that I take as part of the class. Thanks for the help.

Yes, the test was from CD ROM. Just to point out, it was Kaplan Premier 2007.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Predictor - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 13:41
Founder,

I am new to the forum and am very interested in your score estimator, particularly scores from Kaplan Prep. I was wondering if you separate out the "new" Kaplan test scores from the "old". I am currently in a Kaplan GMAT class, so presumably my scores are "new".

The question came up when I saw what you wrote previously:

"I guess since you are taking a Kaplan class, you must be taking the "new" Kaplan test with improved algorithm as the old ones were always 100 points below the real GMAT. So, this will resolve your question and mine too"

Lastly, if you do in fact separate out the scores how would the new Kaplan scores stack up when compared to the real score? Would they be more on par with the real GMAT. Thank you in advance.

Regards
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Score Predictor - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 14:08
Expert's post
onlychild8403 wrote:
Founder,

I am new to the forum and am very interested in your score estimator, particularly scores from Kaplan Prep. I was wondering if you separate out the "new" Kaplan test scores from the "old". I am currently in a Kaplan GMAT class, so presumably my scores are "new".

The question came up when I saw what you wrote previously:

"I guess since you are taking a Kaplan class, you must be taking the "new" Kaplan test with improved algorithm as the old ones were always 100 points below the real GMAT. So, this will resolve your question and mine too"

Lastly, if you do in fact separate out the scores how would the new Kaplan scores stack up when compared to the real score? Would they be more on par with the real GMAT. Thank you in advance.

Regards

Very valid question - we have been trying to figure it out for a while.
You should ask this question to your Kaplan instructor. I have not been able to get a valid or any response from Kaplan.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Predictor - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 14:43
BB,

I just had a conversation with Kaplan and I was told that it does not keep a database of customers' scores (or at least they don't want to disclose them). Since Kaplan scores are no longer reliable, what other practice exams should I take to get a better idea of my score? In particular, exams I could get without signing up for a class such as Princeton or Manhattan.

Thank you.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT Score Predictor - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 14:57
Expert's post
onlychild8403 wrote:
BB,

I just had a conversation with Kaplan and I was told that it does not keep a database of customers' scores (or at least they don't want to disclose them). Since Kaplan scores are no longer reliable, what other practice exams should I take to get a better idea of my score? In particular, exams I could get without signing up for a class such as Princeton or Manhattan.

Thank you.

You can buy any of the MGMAT Guides, and each one of them comes with 6 practice tests included - recommend their MGMAT CR or MGMAT SC guides. Very much worth the $$$

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 20:08
bb wrote:

it sounds like the 2009 & earlier versions of kaplan cat's are a lot harder. i assume this means for those of us taking 2010 & later versions of kaplan cat's, we should not use the gmat score indicator because it will throw our estimate off? are you exploring the possibility of adding a pre/post-2009 kaplan cat feature to the calculator?
Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2010, 20:08