Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT score changes over the years (1981 to now)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Schools: UNC-Greensboro - Class of 1990
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
GPA: 2.7
WE: Information Technology (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [4] , given: 0

GMAT score changes over the years (1981 to now) [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
It is somewhat amazing how scores and percentile rankings have changed over the years.
I took the GMAT in October, 1981 scoring:
Verbal 40 (93%) Would be 88% now.
Quant 39 (91%) Would be 48% now. WOW!!
Total 640 (95%) Would be 650/78% now.

The best advice I have for GMAT candidates is to start with a good study guide and see how you do on the practice tests it presents.
If you still need improvement go for a good online or live classroom study course.

A major benefit from the study guide was just getting familiar with the format of the exam. My main weaknesses were in Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning, but that was mostly from lack of familiarity with what the exam was looking for rather than from not being able to arrive at the correct answer. Once I figured out what the test was really looking for the rest was easy.

Good luck in your quest.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Prepster and Stratus Prep
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 4

Re: GMAT score changes over the years (1981 to now) [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 09:51
Very interesting set of data... It appears as though the world is getting smarter...

If my response helps, please add throw me a kudos.

Jim Kernan is the Director of GMAT Operations at Stratus Prep and author of GMAT Materials for GMAT Prepster.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT score changes over the years (1981 to now) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 21:19
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Very interesting set of data... It appears as though the world is getting smarter...

I'd guess it has more to do with the spread of information via the internet and a big increase in the availability of study materials and courses.

I know my dad took the GMAT back in the day (probably around the same time) and he claims 90% of people would take the test cold, basically just wing it. Don't know if that's accurate but I do believe that today a much larger portion of people use study materials and prep courses. You have to now to get a half-decent score.

Anyway, its interesting to see the data.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 682 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: GMAT score changes over the years (1981 to now) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 21:55
Was the GMAT valid for more than 5 years back then?

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Schools: UNC-Greensboro - Class of 1990
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
GPA: 2.7
WE: Information Technology (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT score changes over the years (1981 to now) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 12:47
MacFauz wrote:
Was the GMAT valid for more than 5 years back then?

Not sure how long the scores were valid for back then. I realize the test format has changed dramatically since then.

To rjdunn03's comment: If I recall there weren't a lot of prep courses available plus the internet didn't exist back then. There were a number of study guides such as the Cliff Notes guide I used. Without practice exams I would have originally scored in the 60% range mainly due to a lack of familiarity with the test format.
Re: GMAT score changes over the years (1981 to now)   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2013, 12:47