Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT SCORE DOWN FROM 690 to 610

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2003, 17:15
Curly, I'm not "accusing" ETS of changing the test. I believe I wrote one line that says that I concur with previous posts which discuss a potential change. I offer an opinion, not an accusation, there is a big difference. Its fine with me if they did change it. It is fine with me if they didn't. I mean, who really cares, you can't change that anyway. That particular area was not even the focus of my note. So, please don't come up here and accuse me of anything either! Today's test was merely different than my previous official test, other questions I have seen, and the way that the questions came up. Thus my comment about question strategy and not just study quantity. I posted to help people based on my experience, not to get into a debate.

Have you taken the test recently, I would like to know why you are so sure that it has not changed at all.

On the difficulty issue, "difficulty" is in the eye of the beholder. I am familiar with past test questions. Today was unexpected. Difficulty has no bearing on whether the test changed. Your first point is thus irrelevant. I do not have to describe in detail every single test I took for your benefit. I can offer my opinion that it was different without writing an essay. The fact that content should not be discussed, remember we sign off on that on test day, limits what I can write anyway.

I do think it is odd that the few people I know that have taken the test over the past year had scores go from 600 or near that, then to 500, then up to 700. This all from a test that should be a good measure. Thats really why I posted under this topic. The thread talks about score declines. The interesting thing is that the person who got above 700 was told by his tutor that he was studying too much and that he should focus elsewhere, ie. being flexible with the questions and test strategy. It obviously worked too.

I hear you on the PowerPrep except that I was not previously familiar with the questions. But you have a good point in general.

Last edited by billor on 31 Jul 2003, 18:22, edited 19 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2003, 17:30
aps_can wrote:
BB,
What's happening with the GMAT? What will happen to people like us who are planning to reach 700 after the first attempt of 550? What are we going to score 490? I'm scared and am planning to postpone my date (18th August) till things are clearer and an exact picture on this new trend is out.
Please advise or suggest something to boost morale of people like me.
Also yesterday I got 540 in KAPTEST2 which is 100 points less that Kaptest1. I was really upset with my score and now news like this is making me more nervous.
PLEASE HELP! I'm sure ur and ur friends experience will give us some direction.

Thanx
aps_can

Hey Chicken Little:

Why are you panicking?

1) For every person who drops in score significantly the second time, several dozen people raise their score, a few quite significantly.

2) Most schools, including the top ones, take your top score. This makes sense considering a number of factors can push your score down, but mostly talent will push your score up.

So, given that: 1) your score will probably go up if you are making any reasonably efficient effort at studying, and 2) it doesn't matter; why, again, are you panicking?

Just do it....

P.S. Worrying about things you have no control over like whether GMAC has substantially changed the test does you no go. (Even if they have, which I doubt, they will have "re-normed" the test so that the raw scores and precentiles are representative. In addition, any change would apply to everyone, so it won't affect just you.).

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2003, 22:25
I think instead of letting panic set in, we should all just assume the normal course of action and carry on.

Maybe if we have say a dozen people swearing that the GMAT's gotten wayy tougher should we take notice, even then all we can really do is prepare hearder and hope for the best!

I got a job to do and am going to do it, I think one can get affected by all this talk of the test getting harder, if you let it effect you. I did let it effect me yesterday, somehow I'm over it today and hopefully I will stay focussed!

Get with the program!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2378

Kudos [?]: 9969 [0], given: 3761

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2003, 22:39
Expert's post
AkamaiBrah wrote:
aps_can wrote:
BB,
What's happening with the GMAT? What will happen to people like us who are planning to reach 700 after the first attempt of 550? What are we going to score 490? I'm scared and am planning to postpone my date (18th August) till things are clearer and an exact picture on this new trend is out.
Please advise or suggest something to boost morale of people like me.
Also yesterday I got 540 in KAPTEST2 which is 100 points less that Kaptest1. I was really upset with my score and now news like this is making me more nervous.
PLEASE HELP! I'm sure ur and ur friends experience will give us some direction.

Thanx
aps_can

Hey Chicken Little:

Why are you panicking?

1) For every person who drops in score significantly the second time, several dozen people raise their score, a few quite significantly.

2) Most schools, including the top ones, take your top score. This makes sense considering a number of factors can push your score down, but mostly talent will push your score up.

So, given that: 1) your score will probably go up if you are making any reasonably efficient effort at studying, and 2) it doesn't matter; why, again, are you panicking?

Just do it....

P.S. Worrying about things you have no control over like whether GMAC has substantially changed the test does you no go. (Even if they have, which I doubt, they will have "re-normed" the test so that the raw scores and precentiles are representative. In addition, any change would apply to everyone, so it won't affect just you.).

Good charge!

:war
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Whats happening to GMAT? [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2003, 22:56
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I can safely postpone the date of my test by 10 days. Meanwhile I'll be anxiously looking for people who have improved there scores or scored above 700.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2003, 07:59
The math part is really getting harder. :boxer Many people corroborate this fact, a bane for nonnative speakers like me, whose sole chance to score fine is the math part. The mutation began some days ago. Let's wait for more comments.

Last edited by stolyar on 02 Aug 2003, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2003, 14:10
Who knows? :evil:

The end of foreign domination.

Ride em cowboy

Intern
Intern

Just took it again (2nd time) [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2003, 10:53
Just took the test for the 2nd time. First time 650 q38 v43
Second time 640 q47 v31

Just wondering if I should take it a third time since my q and v totally flipped. I feel pretty comfortable on math and have consistenly been scoring 47-50. On verbal I am all over the place, and don't know how to improve. I'm a native english speaker. Any insights are welcome.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2003, 12:32
Curly05 wrote:
Who knows? :evil:

The end of foreign domination.

That's just bigoted and ignorant! Considering all of the foreign and immigrant test takers we have in GMAT Club, you ought to have more respect for others. :evil:

I hope BB takes note of your post. I believe he is an immigrant. I hope this forum doesn't degenerate into the kind of hostile and unhelpful environment that other forums have turned into.
  [#permalink] 28 Aug 2003, 12:32