Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [18]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [3]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [2]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score Estimator - predict your gmat score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Performance Under Pressure (Stress)

Is one of the features enabled by the GMAT Score estimator – we know how test-takers perform on simulated tests at home (in a familiar and comfortable environment with a set level of pressure) and we also know how they perform on the GMAT at a test center (in a high pressure environment). There are many differences and factors that separate the two, but making a very big generalization, let's assume that the main difference between home and test center environment is the stress level. Knowing how scores correlate and are distributed on a bell-shaped curve, we can build a distribution and get performance under pressure percentile. Obviously, as every other measuring stick, it is not perfect: we are ignoring one’s unique physical discomforts, repeat test takers that skew the curve, and historic test variations. However, it is probably the best we have so far.

Why?
You can significantly improve your scores by learning to handle stress better. For example,
Learning how one works under pressure may prove to be a valuable tool that you can scale across all aspects of life – deadlines, presentations, admissions interviews, and holidays are just some examples, and of course it can also help on the GMAT. This metric is based on how well other GMAT Test-takers performed, so it compares you to your peers.

To get your performance under pressure percentile, click here.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
This is a great contribution.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Great thing! Thanks!

Just submitted my scores and viewed the 'stress factor'. It seems I was not stressed as much as I thought - only 64% percentile (average level, I guess).

And then I tried the inverse: checked the calculator itself (with average level of stress) - and it gave me exactly my real score :)

Also I have some questions or perhaps suggestions regarding the way of further development:

1. It is known that tests from some providers are available in packs, so teoretically one person might have results from several tests from the same provider. Would allowing to enter the results from all tests taken make prediction more precise?

2. (Connected with previous in a sense). Often, a student's preparation lasts several weeks or months - and it is typically possible to see that test scores have an upward trend over this period. Perhaps, it may be possible in future to take into account the time when the test was taken - e.g., when the preparation just started, in the middle, or just a few days before the GMAT?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
greenoak wrote:
Great thing! Thanks!

Just submitted my scores and viewed the 'stress factor'. It seems I was not stressed as much as I thought - only 64% percentile (average level, I guess).

And then I tried the inverse: checked the calculator itself (with average level of stress) - and it gave me exactly my real score :)

Thank you for submitting the score

greenoak wrote:
Also I have some questions or perhaps suggestions regarding the way of further development:

1. It is known that tests from some providers are available in packs, so teoretically one person might have results from several tests from the same provider. Would allowing to enter the results from all tests taken make prediction more precise?

2. (Connected with previous in a sense). Often, a student's preparation lasts several weeks or months - and it is typically possible to see that test scores have an upward trend over this period. Perhaps, it may be possible in future to take into account the time when the test was taken - e.g., when the preparation just started, in the middle, or just a few days before the GMAT?

Definitely - thank you. I am collecting all the feedback I can get for version 2 - that's the purpose of this thread really.

1. Good point. There may be some variance between lets say Kaplan test 1 and Kaplan test 2 or even GMAT prep 1 and GMAT prep 2. I am not sure it if it is significant, but it is probably there. I will play with the statistics and see if it is significant to include.

2. Let me make sure I got this correctly. Instead of the current model of taking a single practice test in time and basing the score on that performance, instead we can take a series of tests at different points of time and improve reliability of prediction by building a series of test events? If so, it is an interesting idea - I will have to consider it in the next version. Right now I have completely missed it :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Very nice!!

Does it use neural networks?

Originally posted by DFG5150 on 27 May 2009, 17:46.
Last edited by DFG5150 on 28 May 2009, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hello!

It seems to be a very useful tool this Beta Score Estimator, I just would like to heard a litle bitte more about the experiences from those that took Kaplan tests before the real GMAT. Please, there is someone that could share his experience?

I took 630 in my Kaplan test and the Estimator stated that my grade in GMAT should be 710, ranging from 680 to 740 ( 95% confidence level ). Based on that could I be confident about take a good grade at GMAT?

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I scored 650 on the Kaplan a few weeks before getting 750 on the real GMAT, so you have a good chance of getting above 700.

The best predictor is the GMAT Prep software (get GMATprep)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Many thanks BB.

I will work a litle bitte harder in order to try improve my scores some more points.

Tks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Nice tool...I m still to take date for GMAT. Presently, I m giving Princeton test...
I have one question ....Priceton , Manhattan all have more than 1 test...so which test score to be used for tool...or we have to enter avg of score(manataan 1,2..6)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
age wrote:
Nice tool...I m still to take date for GMAT. Presently, I m giving Princeton test...
I have one question ....Priceton , Manhattan all have more than 1 test...so which test score to be used for tool...or we have to enter avg of score(manataan 1,2..6)

Use the latest test you have taken. The tool does not distinguish between PR1 and PR6. The assumption is that they are somewhat consistent, which is a big one, but that makes things much easier and more reliable.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Just to provide input for others:

I never broke 680 on any practice exams (Powerprep, GMATPrep, online Kaplan test, online MGMAT exams).

Also, the score estimator had me at a 680.

I scored 710 on the real thing.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mohater wrote:
Just to provide input for others:

I never broke 680 on any practice exams (Powerprep, GMATPrep, online Kaplan test, online MGMAT exams).

Also, the score estimator had me at a 680.

I scored 710 on the real thing.

Thank you!
You must have a very good tolerance to stress. Try submitting your score (uncheck the box to submit the score but check one to get your performance under pressure percentile) - it will tell you how you rank to the rest of us.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you!
You must have a very good tolerance to stress. Try submitting your score (uncheck the box to submit the score but check one to get your performance under pressure percentile) - it will tell you how you rank to the rest of us.

Here ya go

Quote:
Based on our database, the scores you provided represent a 77th percentile in "Performance Under Pressure."
This means that the pressure you experienced at the Test Center affected you less than 77% of test takers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Does this estimator do a good job predicting people that have a huge standard deviation of scores? I have a 75 point SD. Here are my 5 tests:

610 (GMatprep)
660 (Kaplan- pencil and paper)
590 (GMatprep)
510 (Kaplan CAT 1)
710 (Kaplan CAT 2)

It seems to me that an estimator like this would be more useful for someone that scores consistently on the test. Are these scores weird or what?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
GmatNY86 wrote:
Does this estimator do a good job predicting people that have a huge standard deviation of scores? I have a 75 point SD. Here are my 5 tests:

610 (GMatprep)
590 (GMatprep)
510 (Kaplan CAT 1)
710 (Kaplan CAT 2)

It seems to me that an estimator like this would be more useful for someone that scores consistently on the test. Are these scores weird or what?

All of your tests are in-line except the last Kaplan. I would try another test - that is way too high for the same Kaplan you got 510 on (historically Kaplan is 100 points below real score, but they have been working on it lately).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
bb wrote:
GmatNY86 wrote:

610 (GMatprep)
590 (GMatprep)
510 (Kaplan CAT 1)
710 (Kaplan CAT 2)

All of your tests are in-line except the last Kaplan. I would try another test - that is way too high for the same Kaplan you got 510 on (historically Kaplan is 100 points below real score, but they have been working on it lately).

Well if you take out the 660 pencil and paper, then that's closer to the truth. I do think that the 510 is on the low side. Is it impossible that I've improved? Or is the 710 pretty much useless? C'mon, don't kill my hopes, just when I was feeling good about myself!

Edit: Is it possible, that the 710 was more of a turning point rather than an outlier?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5