Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT score impact on recruiting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT score impact on recruiting [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 13:24
I am looking to move into management consulting post MBA coming from a career as a financial advisor with major global bank (JPM, Morgan Stanley, UBS type). My question is this: will my score on my quant section of the GMAT hinder my recruitment? I scores a 710 overall but only 42 on quant. I know that it is a weaker point for me, which was a major reason I chose to attend Tepper, a VERY quant heavy school. Will I be able to make up for my low quant score with success in MBA classes/ FINRA licenses?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT score impact on recruiting [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 19:12
Bump

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT score impact on recruiting [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 10:12
Expert's post
I've spoken with a TON of 1st and 2nd year business students about this over the last few months (Wanted to know if my high GMAT would help me if I decided to go to a school outside the M7). The consensus is, the GMAT helps you get a first round interview, but doesn't help too much after that. A lot of people think 700 is the cut off, but I met a 680 GMAT person from Duke this weekend who got Mckinsey (Full disclosure: she was a URM Female though). Likewise, I spoke to a guy who said he had a low GMAT (not sure the exact score), who got BCG LA offer from UCLA (He had front office banking experience).

Seems GMAT is one of many ways to help you stand out, but far from the only way...but if you don't have a high GMAT, you need to have SOME WAY to stand out (e.g. networking, leadership, prior WE). Interested in hearing more perspectives though.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 69

Re: GMAT score impact on recruiting [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 22:29
A high GMAT score certainly helps, but networking will be more important than anything. Once you get the first round interview, very little besides the case and fit questions matter. Tip: don't list your GMAT splits on your resume, just the 710.
Re: GMAT score impact on recruiting   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 22:29