Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score Letdown [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sagnik242,

You posted a similar story back in January (when you had taken the GMAT for the second time):

second-gmat-still-not-up-to-par-in-quant-211911.html#p1631259

Since you didn't respond to my second set of questions at that time, I wasn't able to offer you the advice that you were looking for. Your second and third GMAT scores are so similar that you likely responded to the GMAT in the same ways during both of these recent attempts. To raise your Quant score to the 55th percentile (which is right around the Q42-Q43 range), you're going to have to make some serious adjustments to how you handle the Quant section.

Given this score consistency, you will probably need to invest in some new resources and learn/practice some new Tactics. If you continue to study in the same ways that you have before, then you will likely score in this same general range again. Thankfully, June 1st is over 2 months away, so you still have plenty of time to study, improve and retake the GMAT.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I understand, but how did I score 610 with quant 44% in the Exam Pack 2 exam? I did realistic test conditions and saw no repeats because it was new. I know nerves could be one factor but I was seeing a lot of DS on my test which is a sign I was doing well during exam right? Anyways what Is YOUR suggestion for the next 2 months like what specific resources should I use>
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sagnik242,

Since you asked about your last CAT result, there are some things worth investigating about how you took that CAT. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day.

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?

You're going to see about 15 DS questions on Test Day no matter how well you're doing, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you were seeing 'a lot of DS' on Test Day. The GMAT will give you the score that you EARN though. With a Q35, you made lots of little mistakes throughout the Quant section (and you might also have a pacing 'issue' - which would have impacted your performance - but I don't know you well enough to say for sure).

Rich
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sagnik242,

The information that you've provided does not point to any big "red flags" in how you took your CATs - although taking your CATs at home is not realistic. At your current scoring level in the Quant, a handful of 'good guesses' or 'silly mistakes' could swing your scores a great deal, so either of those could be factors in your performance. Since you bring up 'nerves', that could also have impacted your performance on Test Day.

If your whole plan depends on your ability to score a Q43 or higher on Test Day, then there are some resources that you can use to help you get to that score level. Based on everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Quant Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in under a month, so the time commitment wouldn't be too intense. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts