Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 10:39
Hello All,

I have been studying for the Gmat for quite some time and took the MGMAT course. I had been rather consistent in my scoring on practice tests. I was scoring around 620 to 630 (V32 Q42). I attempted the GMAT and was so dissapointed. I ended up with a score of 530 V23 Q39. This was my second attempt at the GMAT. My first attempt was a score of 410 YIKES!!! I am not sure what happened? How can I improve my Verbal? I was really trying to apply first round but that looks as though it will now not happen. Any best practices I can implement? HELP please!!!! I am so tired of this test making me feel like an idiot. :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Erin
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 11:13
Which area of verbal do you need help with?
Btw I know you are disappointed but you did improve your score by 100 points then your previous attempt. Thats a good progress.
Try Manhattan GMAT SC, CR and RC books.
Also Kaplan verbal foundation and verbal workbook are great.
Good luck.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 11:14
Which course did you take?
and what practice test were you taking? I hope it was not a retake as your score tend to be high with lots of repeat questions.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2282

Kudos [?]: 8865 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 11:58
Expert's post
Eholm314 wrote:
Hello All,

I have been studying for the Gmat for quite some time and took the MGMAT course. I had been rather consistent in my scoring on practice tests. I was scoring around 620 to 630 (V32 Q42). I attempted the GMAT and was so dissapointed. I ended up with a score of 530 V23 Q39. This was my second attempt at the GMAT. My first attempt was a score of 410 YIKES!!! I am not sure what happened? How can I improve my Verbal? I was really trying to apply first round but that looks as though it will now not happen. Any best practices I can implement? HELP please!!!! I am so tired of this test making me feel like an idiot. :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Erin

We've had some great feedback about the MGMAT class - any idea what went wrong?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 14:27
Hello All

THank you for your responses. I took the Manhattan Gmat Course. I never had a retake on a practice test so I was seeing all new questions every test. I did feel as though the Verbal questions were more difficult on the real test. Am I crazy? I have started reviewing the SC from MGMAT and also the sentence correction BIBLE. THe only thing I can think of to do is to really focus on nailing the basics. Even though I felt I was there I know I probably tended to study Math a bit more as I prefer it. Any ideas or best practices that you can share would be fantastic!!!
Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 13

Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 20:12
In my experience, most folks lose a lot of points on RC in the Verbal section of the test. RC is the least discussed off all the topics in the Verbal section. You may have to spend more time mastering the nuances of RC and CR besides SC.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 22:05
I believe you need to get a feel of which questions went wrong in your verbal section in your actual test and accordingly channelise your efforts. Also unknowingly you can get some CR and RCs wrong back-to-back which can bring your verbal scores down.. Btw did you miss out on any of the questions in verbal??
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 23:09
Expert's post
Eholm314 wrote:
Hello All

THank you for your responses. I took the Manhattan Gmat Course. I never had a retake on a practice test so I was seeing all new questions every test. I did feel as though the Verbal questions were more difficult on the real test. Am I crazy? I have started reviewing the SC from MGMAT and also the sentence correction BIBLE. THe only thing I can think of to do is to really focus on nailing the basics. Even though I felt I was there I know I probably tended to study Math a bit more as I prefer it. Any ideas or best practices that you can share would be fantastic!!!
Thanks

Do get comfortable with all of your materials first - spend a few weeks if you need on each area and then start practicing. Practice tests matter, but not as much as your knowledge and approach to questions. make sure you don't cut corners when you answer questions to save time - follow the strategy from the book to the "T"

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 02:58
Thanks everyone. I do know that my RC is the weakest out of all subject areas so I am going to focus on that. But yes, I do believe I can do a better job at fine tuning the approach and my knowledge base in order to answer the questions.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a timeframe?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 13:18
Manhattan RC gets the best review of all RC books. So use that.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 19:39
Expert's post
orsang8 wrote:
Manhattan RC gets the best review of all RC books. So use that.

Yep - MGMAT RC + GMAT Fiction

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: GMAT SCORE Q39 V23 YIKES HELP!!!   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2009, 19:39