Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score Range

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
GMAT Score Range [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 23:59
Hi,

I'm thinking of applying to Oxford, with a low GMAT score. I noticed a lot of schools had the 80% range, for example Oxford has a range of 620 to 720.

I believe this means that a proportion of the entering class have lower than 620 in the GMAT? Does this seem correct?

The school per Business Week has 225 MBA's. This means that in theory around 20+ have lower than 620?

Is my logic correct?

Any views would be welcome.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 00:34
Well, yes it does in theory. But you have to have some strong reasons (I would expect) as to why you should get in.

Also, you have no guide information on whether it is a long tail or not. 20%-80% range of 720-620 could also be 20%-100% range of 720-620. Unlikely, but possible.

If you want to sit and think about this for a lot longer, you should do well in a quant resit on GMAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1529 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 05:34
Yea, you've got the right idea, assuming it says 80% score within X to Y. I've always assumed they did this fairly - 80% around the mean, but I suppose the above poster is right, they could play some statitstics games here and give you the bottom 80%... though I doubt thats how they do it.

If you are within the 80% range, you may get in, but you'll have to have some strong supporting pieces to your application. For instance, if your GPA is weak, I wouldn't even consider applying with something in the bottom end of the range (unless youve taken courses since undergrad and achieved A's).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 05:50
I'm in the low range, and am considering applying, but I have an good degree and I am also qualified as an accountant, so that may help me.

I'm thinking that they must accept a small group with a low GMAT, and it could be worth a try!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 06:05
lfox2 wrote:
I'm in the low range, and am considering applying, but I have an good degree and I am also qualified as an accountant, so that may help me.

I'm thinking that they must accept a small group with a low GMAT, and it could be worth a try!

interesting approach to distinguish yourself from the crowd with GMAT below the range :P
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2007, 06:59
Geez it was early and I rushed that, so my answer sucked Rhyme. I expect it is 10-90% they give. I doubt it would be 20-100%.

What I was meaning to say was that it could be that the 90%-100% range is all sat on 620. You don't have a sufficient data set to know the shape of the tail (normal distribution would seem fair, but this is no less likely).

Whatever, you are in the wrong tail (the low end) so need to give good reasons why to be accepted.
  [#permalink] 17 Jan 2007, 06:59