Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score range for adcom

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 440
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Score range for adcom [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 05:39
So I am well past the point in the app process where I was worrying about the GMAT. However, I read a post on BW last night where someone said something roughly like this. "I wouldn't worry about a 660 as you are grouped with people from the range of 660-690 scorers, much like 700 is grouped with 700-730." I have heard this reasoning before and it logically does not make sense. Why would a 660 be considered the same as a 690? And why isn't a 690 considered the same as a 720 the disparity in scores are the same. I believe a 660 is considered the same as a 660 and so on. I concede that it will not help your case too much if you cannot raise your score 30+ points. But a candidate with a 3.3 GPA and 690 GMAT looks more appealing than a candidate with a 3.3 GPA and a 660 GMAT. Just a topic that I believe needs some clarification on.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 05:41
I'm surprised that someone admitted to using ranges like that.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 440
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 05:43
dukes wrote:
I'm surprised that someone admitted to using ranges like that.


It was not an adcom that said that, but an applicant. I understand he was probably trying to marginalize the importance of a GMAT score. However, this is not the first time I have heard that. I just wanted to bring it up and hear GMATclubbers takes on it.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2006
Posts: 190
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:07
I am sure if it comes down to just those two candidates they would prefer the one with the 690 (all else equal) but when you receive thousands of applications you have to sort them somehow. I have no idea if this happens but it seems completely believeable
_________________

wall street...bulls, bears, people from connecticut

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 958
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:07
I think you can take that comment with a grain of salt. I'm sure applicants are grouped in many different ways, but at the end of the day admissions decisions aren't made with some algorithm that quantifies everything, it's a subjective decision where everything is considered by a human being, so while all 660-690 applications may be grouped together at some schools, I would still think the applicant is looked at as a whole person, and their specific score is considered.

That said, there was a post here a while back where someone said that some schools do have a "point system" but I guess this is all just part of the eternal speculation of the admissions process...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:09
This is nonsense. According to this applicant's logic then I shouldn't have to worry about my 500 score GMAT, since I'll be grouped with 470-530 range applicant's. Right.....

Ok, let's assume for a moment that his assumption is true. Even so, you would still have to worry because I'm pretty sure that, as a group, applicants in the 630-690 range will have a smaller % of admits than ones in the 700-760 range.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 727
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:29
When one cohort probably has a higher admit percentage than another I don't think that "wouldn't worry about it" is the appropriate phrase. That being said there probably is some validitity to the point of view that a 670 or a 690 might receive roughly the same treatment assuming all else is equal and the breakdown is roughly the same. But I wouldn't stretch that assumption much beyond 10 or 20pnts though. I would also say that it probably starts to apply less as you move up the score ranges. While they probably would say 470 and a 500 are roughly the same, they definately will not say that a 750 and 780 are roughly the same. By the way this assessment has no basis in actual insider information or fact, it is just my gut intuition.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:38
I have been told they put the applicants into three buckets with relative to the gmat score. (I was told this by an alumni from GSB)

less than 80% range, within 80% range and above 80% range. They are grouped together there.. so if you fall within the 80% range, they say, dont worry.. you are ok.. if you are below 80% range, then they say what do you have that will carry you off all the way.... if you are above 80% range, GREAT.

NMow the question is does the GMAT come into play after INTERVIEW? Say you are selected for the interview, how much does GMAT come into the picture.. thats what I am worried off
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 572
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:46
willget800 wrote:
I have been told they put the applicants into three buckets with relative to the gmat score. (I was told this by an alumni from GSB)

less than 80% range, within 80% range and above 80% range. They are grouped together there.. so if you fall within the 80% range, they say, dont worry.. you are ok.. if you are below 80% range, then they say what do you have that will carry you off all the way.... if you are above 80% range, GREAT.

NMow the question is does the GMAT come into play after INTERVIEW? Say you are selected for the interview, how much does GMAT come into the picture.. thats what I am worried off

Whats the difference between being within and above the 80% range? Also, I hope they are referring to the the individual sections, because 80% overall probably includes 80% of their applicants.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 99
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 06:55
I agree I think the GSB must be refering to the M/V split of 80%/80%, kinda like Wharton. It makes no sense to group total GMAT scores like that, since the split would be like 10-80-10.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2006
Posts: 440
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 07:11
Mark4124 wrote:
When one cohort probably has a higher admit percentage than another I don't think that "wouldn't worry about it" is the appropriate phrase. That being said there probably is some validitity to the point of view that a 670 or a 690 might receive roughly the same treatment assuming all else is equal and the breakdown is roughly the same. But I wouldn't stretch that assumption much beyond 10 or 20pnts though. I would also say that it probably starts to apply less as you move up the score ranges. While they probably would say 470 and a 500 are roughly the same, they definately will not say that a 750 and 780 are roughly the same. By the way this assessment has no basis in actual insider information or fact, it is just my gut intuition.


My question to this theory is, where does it stop? You say a 670 is considered with a 690. Then logically shouldnt a 690 be considered with a 710. So it a 670=690 and a 690=710 then mathematically a 670=710. I think this grouping is bogus and they take it case per case.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 09:24
I think the scores are grouped according to the emotional response the adcomm gets when they see your score.

A 660 and a 690 will get the same feeling. But a 710 looks more appealing than a 690 because of the elusive 7XX.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 440
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:12
gmatclb wrote:
But a 710 looks more appealing than a 690 because of the elusive 7XX.


Dannn!!! Dannn that elusive 7XX!! :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: Oooh how I would like to get my hands on that.

690 here :)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:17
I guess most of the initial part of the selection process consists of being pigeon-holed based on several factors (GMAT, GPA, nationality, industry, work experience, languages spoken, undergrad major, etc.). But then your app. will reach a point where the adcoms are trying to evaluate the person. Of course some factors will be played against each other when evaluating, but that's it. I wouldn't worry too much about ranges working for or against someone. If you are reasonably within the 80% range, then ask yourself whether the rest of your app. can do the trick or not. If you are in the top 10% - 20% in some stat, then this can counter some weaker portions within the rest of the app. If you are near the bottom limit of the middle 80%, then the rest of your app. will need to counter this.

Cheers. L.

Last edited by lepium on 28 Feb 2007, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:17
Nsentra wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
But a 710 looks more appealing than a 690 because of the elusive 7XX.


Dannn!!! Dannn that elusive 7XX!! :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: Oooh how I would like to get my hands on that.

690 here :)



Tell me abt it...! :P
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 1023
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:24
GMAT scores are on the way up. It appears that the percentiles have also changed. The 700 club is probably the new 720-730 club. Any thoughts ?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 May 2006
Posts: 176
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:27
lhotseface wrote:
GMAT scores are on the way up. It appears that the percentiles have also changed. The 700 club is probably the new 720-730 club. Any thoughts ?



The 700 club will remian the 700 club because of the actual numbers.

A quick glance and 7XX will stick out more than a 6XX.

But I do agree that there does appear to be more 720+ scores.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 727
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 15:20
I have heard it said many a time here that 10pnts on the top end is far more significant than 50 on the bottom end. 450? 500? Same thing! 730, 740... a universe apart. Small differences matter more the higher you ascend. Certainly an 800 is much cooler than a 790. :)
  [#permalink] 28 Feb 2007, 15:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic How does adcom view the GMAT score? PP90210 1 28 Sep 2014, 11:36
1 Weak GMAT Score? What TO say, and what NOT to say to AdCom! MBAAdmissionsCoach 2 06 Jun 2013, 15:37
score range? ritula 4 11 Oct 2008, 19:14
Full Range of GMAT Scores c00624 8 15 Feb 2007, 07:34
GMAT Score Range lfox2 5 16 Jan 2007, 23:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Score range for adcom

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.