Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 01:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Score Use in Employment

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Schools: CMU Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 03:11
DJK wrote:
For what it's worth:

I spoke with a recruiter at the Boston Consulting Group (Top Management Consulting Firm), and she said that BCG does NOT have a minimum score requirement on that GMAT.

McKinsey may, but whatever.


Two Points:

1) "No Minimum" does not mean it doesn't matter to BCG. (wow triple negative)
2) I got interviews at many top consulting firms, and was explicitly told by one of them that my GMAT score was a big component.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2011
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2012, 19:22
randompattern wrote:
DJK wrote:
For what it's worth:

I spoke with a recruiter at the Boston Consulting Group (Top Management Consulting Firm), and she said that BCG does NOT have a minimum score requirement on that GMAT.

McKinsey may, but whatever.


Two Points:

1) "No Minimum" does not mean it doesn't matter to BCG. (wow triple negative)
2) I got interviews at many top consulting firms, and was explicitly told by one of them that my GMAT score was a big component.



True, although I did not say GMAT scores do not matter; I said that there is no minimum ;).

I do not deny that the scores are a big component - how could they not be? MBBs recruit from top business schools. Those who attend top business schools, generally have good GMAT scores.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you say the GMAT scores play a major role? (congrats on your 760 btw) Did the firms explicitly tell you this? If so, what exactly did they say if you don't mind sharing.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Schools: CMU Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 16:42
DJK wrote:

True, although I did not say GMAT scores do not matter; I said that there is no minimum ;).

I do not deny that the scores are a big component - how could they not be? MBBs recruit from top business schools. Those who attend top business schools, generally have good GMAT scores.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you say the GMAT scores play a major role? (congrats on your 760 btw) Did the firms explicitly tell you this? If so, what exactly did they say if you don't mind sharing.


I am certainly not in a position to say why GMAT scores play such a large role for consulting firms, however I don't think it is mere correlation between top GMAT scores and top business schools. From what I've seen, even in top business schools the higher a student's GMAT score the more likely they will get a consulting interview. Once a student does get the interview, however, I don't think the GMAT matters for the offer.

I was explicitly told of the GMAT's importance by one prestigious consulting firm. I was contacted by a recruiter who said he wanted to make sure I applied to his company. I told him I was flattered and wanted to know why they specifically wanted me to apply. He seemed taken off guard by the response and said "Your GMAT for one thing." I don't know if they did the same thing to students with the same or higher scores...so take what you want from that story.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 136
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 16:58
ooh em gee !!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Mar 2011
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2012, 17:03
randompattern wrote:
DJK wrote:

True, although I did not say GMAT scores do not matter; I said that there is no minimum ;).

I do not deny that the scores are a big component - how could they not be? MBBs recruit from top business schools. Those who attend top business schools, generally have good GMAT scores.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you say the GMAT scores play a major role? (congrats on your 760 btw) Did the firms explicitly tell you this? If so, what exactly did they say if you don't mind sharing.


I am certainly not in a position to say why GMAT scores play such a large role for consulting firms, however I don't think it is mere correlation between top GMAT scores and top business schools. From what I've seen, even in top business schools the higher a student's GMAT score the more likely they will get a consulting interview. Once a student does get the interview, however, I don't think the GMAT matters for the offer.

I was explicitly told of the GMAT's importance by one prestigious consulting firm. I was contacted by a recruiter who said he wanted to make sure I applied to his company. I told him I was flattered and wanted to know why they specifically wanted me to apply. He seemed taken off guard by the response and said "Your GMAT for one thing." I don't know if they did the same thing to students with the same or higher scores...so take what you want from that story.


interesting. thanks for sharing.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2012
Posts: 195
Location: United States
GPA: 3.08
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 104

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2012, 16:21
Glad I found this thread. This is exactly why I'm taking the GMAT in the first place, to get into a top consulting firm. I feel that having a solid GMAT score (700+ range) will bolster the rest of my CV and simply make me a safer bet when it comes to recruiting. Having talked to quite a few consultants/partners from the top firms, none of them mentioned a minimum, but all of them agreed that a good score would only help.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 11:17
I am also wondering about this, although in a different situation. How important is the GMAT (for employment) for the EMBA graduate? Perhaps it's insignifant for employment since EMBA has a lot of work experience?

I also did a search on the keyword gmat in monster.com (just like what rhyme did in 2006) and got only 1 job that's not related to teaching. So, based on that it seems that nowadays a high gmat is only useful for teaching employment unlike in 2006? I was expecting to get a lot of hits using the gmat keyword in monster.com, since I only got 9 hits and 8 of them are teaching work, I assume the gmat is not that important for employment. Any other opinion please?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Schools: CMU Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 12:35
glenn0613 wrote:
I am also wondering about this, although in a different situation. How important is the GMAT (for employment) for the EMBA graduate? Perhaps it's insignifant for employment since EMBA has a lot of work experience?

I also did a search on the keyword gmat in monster.com (just like what rhyme did in 2006) and got only 1 job that's not related to teaching. So, based on that it seems that nowadays a high gmat is only useful for teaching employment unlike in 2006? I was expecting to get a lot of hits using the gmat keyword in monster.com, since I only got 9 hits and 8 of them are teaching work, I assume the gmat is not that important for employment. Any other opinion please?


I would assume that you're right about the EMBA. I'm guessing that most companies that hire EMBA's are not going to look at your GMAT score. In fact most companies that hire full time MBA's don't look at GMAT scores, the major exceptions being blue chip consulting firms and investment banks. However your Monster search is irrelevant. Number one most of these companies do not post MBA jobs on Monster. They go to a select group of schools and recruit on campus. Number two even if they were to post their jobs on Monster, they would not advertise that fact in the job posting...that would open them up to criticism. However if you go to any one of their sites and attempt to fill out their long online application forms, you will see the GMAT questions, and at some companies it is a mandatory field.

Finally, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I had a heart to heart with a current recruiter from a top tier consulting firm, and he told me in no uncertain terms, that when ranking MBA applications for interview invites GMAT is an extremely important factor.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: INSEAD '14
GMAT Date: 08-15-2012
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 15:57
Does anyone actually know of anyone who didn't get past the resume screening process with a 700+?
_________________

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Schools: CMU Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 16:11
FatRiverPuff wrote:
Does anyone actually know of anyone who didn't get past the resume screening process with a 700+?


Sure, I have a 760, and I did not get past the resume screen for several consulting firms. Most firms that I had any meaningful interaction did invite me to interview, but one major one did not.

GMAT is not everything, for many though, it is a nearly necessary check mark.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 18
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 15:20
randompattern wrote:
glenn0613 wrote:
I am also wondering about this, although in a different situation. How important is the GMAT (for employment) for the EMBA graduate? Perhaps it's insignifant for employment since EMBA has a lot of work experience?

I also did a search on the keyword gmat in monster.com (just like what rhyme did in 2006) and got only 1 job that's not related to teaching. So, based on that it seems that nowadays a high gmat is only useful for teaching employment unlike in 2006? I was expecting to get a lot of hits using the gmat keyword in monster.com, since I only got 9 hits and 8 of them are teaching work, I assume the gmat is not that important for employment. Any other opinion please?


I would assume that you're right about the EMBA. I'm guessing that most companies that hire EMBA's are not going to look at your GMAT score. In fact most companies that hire full time MBA's don't look at GMAT scores, the major exceptions being blue chip consulting firms and investment banks. However your Monster search is irrelevant. Number one most of these companies do not post MBA jobs on Monster. They go to a select group of schools and recruit on campus. Number two even if they were to post their jobs on Monster, they would not advertise that fact in the job posting...that would open them up to criticism. However if you go to any one of their sites and attempt to fill out their long online application forms, you will see the GMAT questions, and at some companies it is a mandatory field.

Finally, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I had a heart to heart with a current recruiter from a top tier consulting firm, and he told me in no uncertain terms, that when ranking MBA applications for interview invites GMAT is an extremely important factor.



rhyme's search for 'gmat' keyword returned a few results in monster.com
Retired Thread Master
User avatar
Status: How can I crack Verbal
Joined: 12 May 2011
Posts: 209
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 10:02
I Wish to move into Consultancy domain post MBA. Can someone advise if i need to retake the exam? Would getting a 720 or 730 increase my chances of getting a job compared to 700? Do employers view 730/720 differently from 700?

Thanks,
LC
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2011
Posts: 65
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 12:34
LifeChanger wrote:
I Wish to move into Consultancy domain post MBA. Can someone advise if i need to retake the exam? Would getting a 720 or 730 increase my chances of getting a job compared to 700? Do employers view 730/720 differently from 700?

Thanks,
LC



Because your quant score is perfect, I don't think it would make much of a difference, unless you KNOW you could maintain the same quant score while easily improving your verbal score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Yeah well whatever.
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 347
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 11:30
I'm a current student and I retook it specifically to make myself more attractive to consulting firms. It's amazing how big of a deal this test is. I tried to explain to friends and family and even some other business students why I was retaking it and several didn't understand my reasoning.
_________________

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Feb 2007
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2012, 20:04
randompattern wrote:
DJK wrote:

True, although I did not say GMAT scores do not matter; I said that there is no minimum ;).

I do not deny that the scores are a big component - how could they not be? MBBs recruit from top business schools. Those who attend top business schools, generally have good GMAT scores.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, why do you say the GMAT scores play a major role? (congrats on your 760 btw) Did the firms explicitly tell you this? If so, what exactly did they say if you don't mind sharing.


I am certainly not in a position to say why GMAT scores play such a large role for consulting firms, however I don't think it is mere correlation between top GMAT scores and top business schools. From what I've seen, even in top business schools the higher a student's GMAT score the more likely they will get a consulting interview. Once a student does get the interview, however, I don't think the GMAT matters for the offer.

I was explicitly told of the GMAT's importance by one prestigious consulting firm. I was contacted by a recruiter who said he wanted to make sure I applied to his company. I told him I was flattered and wanted to know why they specifically wanted me to apply. He seemed taken off guard by the response and said "Your GMAT for one thing." I don't know if they did the same thing to students with the same or higher scores...so take what you want from that story.


How did the receuiter know your gmat score if you had not applied yet?? Do schools share this freely to anyone?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Posts: 483
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 239

Premium Member
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 15:33
Just wanted to add two instances to the discussion above-- I know that a student at a top 3 UK Mba program had to retake GMAT to get into the top consulting firm of his choice, his present score was 680 and he wanted a 700+.

Another friend at a top Indian B-school (one of the IIM) was asked to retake the test by career services to make her profile more appealing to finance firms even though she didn't have to take it as a qualifying test (the CAT exam score is used to qualify).

So,I guess the GMAT score is important both for MBA admissions and post-MBA career prospects.
_________________

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2011
Posts: 31
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 13:44
Nice thread. I know for a fact that top consulting firms also scan for very good GPAs, apart from great GMAT scores. These numbers are all used as checks in their filtering process. So, if you have good stats, your chances of landing an interview are good, which is not to say these are the only criteria factored in the selection. Basically, they are looking for superhumans(and do end up finding many)!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 36
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 15:25
I would think that the GMAT score can get you into a top business school, and the top business school is your key to a top management consulting firm.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Alumni and Career Coaches
Affiliations: MBB
Joined: 22 Jul 2013
Posts: 34
Location: United States
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 09:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT is definitely a factor in deciding who makes the MBB closed list, however its importance varies by firm. At BCG for example, it is a relatively minor part of the resume screening criteria (less important than the prestige of your schools and employers, your professional experience, and your leadership and communication skills). In terms of the actual score, anything below 680 is a detractor, 750 and above is a positive, and 680-740 is considered neutral.

McKinsey has a greater emphasis on high (700+) GMAT scores as well as their problem solving test (PST)

My general advice to candidates is that if you have a 700+, you have basically checked the box for the "raw horsepower" the firms are looking for and should be focusing on presenting your background well on your resume, networking effectively, and then getting ready for those (hopefully) upcoming interviews.

-Jeff
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Alumni and Career Coaches
Affiliations: MBB
Joined: 22 Jul 2013
Posts: 34
Location: United States
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 09:18
I should add that GMAT is completely irrelevant for those of you who want to be into general management / marketing.

I applied to a couple GM / Mkt positions back in my first year of business school and the recruiters in those industries told me they did not care about GMAT scores.

-Jeff
Re: GMAT Score Use in Employment   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 09:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Sending of GMAT Scores outside US? markncasidsid 0 02 Nov 2012, 09:57
Experts publish their posts in the topic Finding employment in the US with a non-US (Cdn) MBA zesty 1 04 Jun 2012, 21:32
Experts publish their posts in the topic Which GMAT score should I use? colette 2 16 Oct 2010, 09:57
Experts publish their posts in the topic Which GMAT Score to Use?? businesssap18 3 02 Nov 2009, 13:10
GMAT Score for Employment squali83 1 16 Mar 2007, 12:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT Score Use in Employment

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 42 posts ] 

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.